• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

How would you feel about Chelios as assistant?

Rate this topic

Would you like it?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would take virtually anyone over McCrimmon. But Chelios would make an excellent defensive coach and I'm absolutely in favor of him becoming an assistant. But considering his personality, I don't know if he'd chafe at not being the head coach.

I would take virtually anyone over McCrimmon. But Chelios would make an excellent defensive coach and I'm absolutely in favor of him becoming an assistant. But considering his personality, I don't know if he'd chafe at not being the head coach.

I'm actually in the camp that I don't know how effective coach's can be when they were former teammates of the players they're coaching and I'd also like to see a guy work his way into the AHL and up from there, rather than just getting a spot on the big stage right out of the gate, but with Chelios, he has such a great hockey mind and was viewed as an elder statesman by all his teammates anyway, that it might break the mold and work...

One thing about Chelios, is that regardless of how confident he is, he's never been one to expect to be handed anything (hence being willing to play in the AHL last year) and I don't think he'd have ANY problem being an assistant, or even lower to start to be honest...

I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, but I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

The title, very misleading.

VERY VERY misleading... I'm half blind without glasses/contacts in/on and that little blurb under the title was illegible - I almost freaked out and called my folks 5 states away in celebration! Someone should change the title...

On topic, it would be brilliant. At the very least, get him in an assistant coach role down in Grand Rapids. In fact, the Griffins are talking about how they want a veteran presence on the blue line... if he still has game left in him, let him mentor the younguns whilst still playing on an AHL contract! I think that man has such a vast hockey knowledge that he would be valuable in any capacity you'd put him in.

VERY VERY misleading... I'm half blind without glasses/contacts in/on and that little blurb under the title was illegible - I almost freaked out and called my folks 5 states away in celebration! Someone should change the title...

On topic, it would be brilliant. At the very least, get him in an assistant coach role down in Grand Rapids. In fact, the Griffins are talking about how they want a veteran presence on the blue line... if he still has game left in him, let him mentor the younguns whilst still playing on an AHL contract! I think that man has such a vast hockey knowledge that he would be valuable in any capacity you'd put him in.

I put it in quotation marks and added an additional subject line... from every marketing class I've ever taken, I thought the purpose of a title was to be attention grabbing, while the content has the information?

I'd be quite alright with Fraser being promoted to Assistant in Detroit, and Chelios taking a job in GR (whether it be head or asst. down there) and as I said in another reply - I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, and although I think all coaches should work their way up so to speak, I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

I'm actually in the camp that I don't know how effective coach's can be when they were former teammates of the players they're coaching and I'd also like to see a guy work his way into the AHL and up from there, rather than just getting a spot on the big stage right out of the gate, but with Chelios, he has such a great hockey mind and was viewed as an elder statesman by all his teammates anyway, that it might break the mold and work...

One thing about Chelios, is that regardless of how confident he is, he's never been one to expect to be handed anything (hence being willing to play in the AHL last year) and I don't think he'd have ANY problem being an assistant, or even lower to start to be honest...

I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, but I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dan Bylsma teammates with some of the players he coached on last years's Penguins team? I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but most of the players that would consider Chelios a peer (Except maybe Lidstrom, Draper, and Holmstrom) are already retired or no longer with the team. On the topic, I definitely agree that anyone could do a better job than McCrimmon, and if anyone can get hired as an NHL assistant without prior coaching experience, it's Chelios, he was practically a player-coach when he played, and his hockey knowledge, more importantly his knowledge of defensive strategy, would be a huge improvement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dan Bylsma teammates with some of the players he coached on last years's Penguins team? I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but most of the players that would consider Chelios a peer (Except maybe Lidstrom, Draper, and Holmstrom) are already retired or no longer with the team. On the topic, I definitely agree that anyone could do a better job than McCrimmon, and if anyone can get hired as an NHL assistant without prior coaching experience, it's Chelios, he was practically a player-coach when he played, and his hockey knowledge, more importantly his knowledge of defensive strategy, would be a huge improvement.

He finished his tenure in the NHL in 04 and that was with Anaheim, so I highly doubt it...

As for Chelios, I agree completely, like I said above, I think normally it doesn't always work, but think Chelios could be the exception to the rule... the guys just flat out KNOWS the game

Here is my take on this whole fire McCrimmon thing. How much does McCrimmon really control the defensive system of the Wings? During games, it is his job to send the pairings out that all the coaches probably agreed to be against certain lines. He gives them pointers on the bench, but this is probably just little adjustments. I assume he works with the defense in practice, but they are following the team defensive system.

If everybody remembers, outside of the year the Wings won the cup in '08, their overall defense wasn't that great. Even in '07, pre-McCrimmon, they were consistently caught in their own zone for extended periods and either giving up a goal or getting a penalty. The Wings scoring depth has usually been able to cover up any defensive short falls, but they are thin on their scoring depth, now. So, this shows through more.

I don't think, just changing one coach is going to fix this. I think they Wings need to just be a little smarter on the ice. They have showed signs of it, lately. They are more inclined to chip the puck out of the zone, instead of trying to force it out. They still need to work on some of their short little passes, when pressured, because they still send it to a guy who is either not expecting it or is covered, as well.

He finished his tenure in the NHL in 04 and that was with Anaheim, so I highly doubt it...

As for Chelios, I agree completely, like I said above, I think normally it doesn't always work, but think Chelios could be the exception to the rule... the guys just flat out KNOWS the game

I believe Chris Kunitz is still in Pittsburgh, and he was in Anaheim at that time. I can't think of any others, right now.

Here is my take on this whole fire McCrimmon thing. How much does McCrimmon really control the defensive system of the Wings? During games, it is his job to send the pairings out that all the coaches probably agreed to be against certain lines. He gives them pointers on the bench, but this is probably just little adjustments. I assume he works with the defense in practice, but they are following the team defensive system.

If everybody remembers, outside of the year the Wings won the cup in '08, their overall defense wasn't that great. Even in '07, pre-McCrimmon, they were consistently caught in their own zone for extended periods and either giving up a goal or getting a penalty. The Wings scoring depth has usually been able to cover up any defensive short falls, but they are thin on their scoring depth, now. So, this shows through more.

I don't think, just changing one coach is going to fix this. I think they Wings need to just be a little smarter on the ice. They have showed signs of it, lately. They are more inclined to chip the puck out of the zone, instead of trying to force it out. They still need to work on some of their short little passes, when pressured, because they still send it to a guy who is either not expecting it or is covered, as well.

Thats actually a good point. To take it a step further, the best defense is a good offense. In years past, the puck possession was so good that oppossing teams never had the puck, the Wings always had it. With all the injuries last year, puck possession was not nearly as effective as usual which in turn put more stress on the Wing's defense.

I've been wanting Chelios as an assistant coach ever since McLellan bolted, at first to get him off the ice, but then when McCrimmon came on to save our damn PK/defense.

I stand corrected. I was thinking Sykora was still in Pittsburgh last year, he is the only player that would have been his teammate in Anaheim and playing for him.

Thats actually a good point. To take it a step further, the best defense is a good offense. In years past, the puck possession was so good that oppossing teams never had the puck, the Wings always had it. With all the injuries last year, puck possession was not nearly as effective as usual which in turn put more stress on the Wing's defense.

I thought the best offense was a good defense

I stand corrected. I was thinking Sykora was still in Pittsburgh last year, he is the only player that would have been his teammate in Anaheim and playing for him.

You were actually right about one player and CenterIce pointed it out - Kunitz, but Kunitz only played 21 games with Ana that year and Byslma only played 11...

Guest Crymson

As the poll says, I was just wondering how everyone would feel if the Wings cut ties with McCrimmon and brought Chelios back as an Assistant Coach, handling the defense.

How would I feel? I'd feel that Chelios has zero significant coaching experience and so is not yet qualified to be an assistant coach in the NHL.

How would I feel? I'd feel that Chelios has zero significant coaching experience and so is not yet qualified to be an assistant coach in the NHL.

To be honest, I would prefer him to get some coaching experience under his belt first at the AHL level at minimum and eventually work his way up in 5 years from now, however, if anyone can make the leap right into the NHL... it's probably Chelios, he has a tremendous amount of hockey smarts, just flat out KNOWS the game and was pretty much a player/coach his last couple years in the league anyway...

I would actually prefer some seasoning as I said, but wouldn't hate it.

Are we talking about a few years from now when he has even a modicum of experience or do you mean the completely unqualified Chelios of today?

I'd love to see Cheli return to the fold once he has some coaching experience (people typically pick that experience up before getting an NHL coaching job). But the Wings aren't really in the phase of their life-cycle where it makes sense to plug a person in as coach who has zero coaching experience.