• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Holland also is contemplating re-signing veteran Kirk Maltby.

One guy we have to make a decision on is Kirk Maltby, Holland said. I like Maltby. Hes been a warrior. I think hes got some hockey left in him.

My link

Just what we need. <_< Seriously Kenny, enough with the God damn sentiments already!

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#2 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

No kenny, enough is enough...it's time to move on... they re-signed holmstrom and bertuzzi already

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

I love Malts and it'd be different if we were a young team and needed some veteran leadership, but we don't... it's time to cut ties with Malts...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Now this one cannot happen. The favors have to end. And to be honest HOW would he even crack the lineup when Drapes will barely be able to???
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#5 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

:blink: :scared:

Edited by soultrain, 20 June 2010 - 03:45 AM.

#6 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Guys... if it's a two-way deal there is really no harm. If we are deep and don't need him, well then he will hang out in GR, if we have injuries or if some of our younger players lose their heads, well then we'll have a tried and true Red Wing available to call up.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#7 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

If it's a 2 way deal that's fine, but for the love of GOD do not give him a one way deal. PLEASE.

:ph34r:

Edited by Z and D for the C, 17 June 2010 - 11:25 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Guys... if it's a two-way deal there is really no harm. If we are deep and don't need him, well then he will hang out in GR, if we have injuries or if some of our younger players lose their heads, well then we'll have a tried and true Red Wing available to call up.

If he cleared waivers... there's no way he'd take a 2 year deal at this stage in his career and due to his age, there'd be no point to even offer his one - 1 way and 2 way deals have nothing to do with waiver eligibility, they have to do with how much the player is ACTUALLY paid, depending on where they play, the caphit still is affected by days with the big club...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#9 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

I'm not ready to give up on him. He's an agitator that consistently breaks up the rhythm of the Bad Guys he plays against. I'd like to think there's still room for him.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#10 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Seriously, if we sign Maltby, I'll be absolutely livid. :ranting:

What a complete joke. He's been great, for sure, and he's a top guy I'm sure, but WE DON'T HAVE ANY REASON TO KEEP HIM.

We have enough bottom 6 forwards. Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller, Ritola, Draper, absolutely no sense in keeping Maltby around.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#11 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

this just cant happen.

if all of our rfa's re sign, we will already have way too many players sitting around on any givin night.

we already have...
hudler,datsyuk,holmstrom
franzen,zetterberg,cleary
bertuzzi,v.filppula,ritola
abdelkader,helm,eaves

miller
draper
i.filppula(probably GR)
and now maltby?

come on, lets be serious for a minute...time to move on

Edited by robb himself, 17 June 2010 - 11:19 AM.

be about it!

#12 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

This was the LAST thing I wanted to see on these forums. Seriously Kenny, Malt's has been good for us for many years but his time has come, do the Redwings and all of us a favor and move on. Graet career Maltby but you are no longer valueable to the Redwings or NHL team for that matter :ph34r:

Posted Image

#13 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

I agree with most....there just isn't room for him on this current team given the players that should/need to be re-signed.

I appreciate everything he did for us and nothing but the best of luck to you, Malts!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#14 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

If it's a 2 year deal that's fine, but for the love of GOD do not give him a one way deal. PLEASE.

I know what you mean but you gave me a heart attack. ;)

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#15 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

There's surely no chance that Malts will uproot his family now, and I wonder if he really wants to go wherever by himself in case he does sign elsewhere. But if he wants to keep playing hockey in Michigan the only way it could happen is in Grand Rapids. Kenny would almost certainly oblige him if that were his wish; not a bad guy to have on the depth chart in case of injury disaster. There's absolutely no room for him on the big club, though.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#16 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

We will just have to wait and see. Holland said he was looking at it. He didn't say he was going to re-sign him. The Wings like to have a lot of depth available. Look at 2007 when we lost 3 defensemen to injury in the playoffs. Look at last year. What happens if we don't sign all our restricted free agents. We all like Holland as GM. One of the ways he does so well, is that he makes sure he has a lot of options available to him.

Plus, Maltby was another one of those injured last year, but he played through it has long as he possibly could. When others were not in the line-up, he was there. You have to give him some credit for that.

Edited by CenterIce, 17 June 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#17 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

I love Malts and it'd be different if we were a young team and needed some veteran leadership, but we don't... it's time to cut ties with Malts...

Bang on! We need have all the veterans we need right now in my opinion. I would rather see Ritola in the line up over Malts. I love Malts and all he has done for the wings but....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#18 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

We will just have to wait and see. Holland said he was looking at it. He didn't say he was going to re-sign him. The Wings like to have a lot of depth available. Look at 2007 when we lost 3 defensemen to injury in the playoffs. Look at last year. What happens if we don't sign all our restricted free agents. We all like Holland as GM. One of the ways he does so well, is that he makes sure he has a lot of options available to him.

Plus, Maltby was another one of those injured last year, but he played through it has long as he possibly could. When others were not in the line-up, he was there. You have to give him some credit for that.

That is what I noticed from the quote too. Part of this may just be praise for Maltby and all that he has done for the team, bragging on him and what he has meant to the organization. It lets him give a public compliment to a guy and still retain that option if it becomes necessary.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#19 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

There's surely no chance that Malts will uproot his family now, and I wonder if he really wants to go wherever by himself in case he does sign elsewhere. But if he wants to keep playing hockey in Michigan the only way it could happen is in Grand Rapids. Kenny would almost certainly oblige him if that were his wish; not a bad guy to have on the depth chart in case of injury disaster. There's absolutely no room for him on the big club, though.

Does he live in MI? I know Draper still lives in Toronto i think.

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,594 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

If it's a 2 way deal that's fine, but for the love of GOD do not give him a one way deal. PLEASE.

:ph34r:

This.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman