• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

Holland thinking of re-signing Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

I know having an one way or two way deal doesn't effect waiver eligibility for a player Maltby's age, but, due to his age, if Maltby is on a one way deal and sent down, he would still count against the cap due to the 35 and older rule. But if he's on two-way contract couldn't he be sent down (obviously having to clear waivers, which I think he would) and not count against the cap?

NO THANKS! maltby had a great career for us, but it's time to move forward. Kenny needs to get used to the idea of letting the old guard go. Next season he'll need to do the same with Draper and Osgood. If we sign maltby, then we'll end up losing Ritola before we know what he is. It just wouldn't make any sense, kinda like signing Chelios that last season and losing "you know who".

I really hope he doesn't sign anyone else. It would be nice to have some breathing room under the cap.

Edited by Pucks

I don't even understand the thinking behind this, other than "Hey, he's been here forever."

He's slow, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score, he can't kill penalties, he doesn't play on the PP. I'd take Miller and Eaves over him, WITHOUT A DOUBT.

After the unreal amount of injuries last season I can kind of understand Kenny's thinking. A 4-time Champ who can draw penalties could be seen as a valuable call up especially during the playoffs. I mean, San Jose even signed The Turtle didn't they? If a 2 way can be had on the cheap I'm all for it. Don't know what the die hard Griffin fans think, but I would imagine they would love it.

Same thing they did with Mac. 1yr 500k, 2way contract. Plays in GR all year, joins the team for the playoffs but likely doesnt play. I wouldnt mind, if we did it for Mac we can do it for Malts.

The difference is, Maltby has more hockey left in him than McCarty did in 2008. But your scenario makes a lot of sense, although, if he signs at $500,000 and gets sent down, I have a feeling that some team will snag him up for his leadership and veteran experience. On the right team, he could play a big role in the depth category. Plus like it has been stated before, do we know if Maltby will even agree to play in GRR?

Same thing they did with Mac. 1yr 500k, 2way contract. Plays in GR all year, joins the team for the playoffs but likely doesnt play. I wouldnt mind, if we did it for Mac we can do it for Malts.

And after that he'll go work for Versus.

Yes! please yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Malts will play for us next year!

Could be his last year, and i think he gives us the mentality and will to win another cup!

Malts has been a warrior for the Wings, so it's hard to imagine him playing somewhere else.

But honestly at this point what does he provide that makes it worth not signing either Miller or Eaves?

This is exactly why I wish the Wings would have given the GM Job to Steve Yzermand and not Holland. Kenny is a great GM but this team needs to start thinking youth first. I know we've always had veteran teams and they have worked well for us but with the NHL seemingly getting younger and younger we need to follow. Malts has been good for us but it's time to start thinking about growing younger teams. Let's get some of our younger players signed first and if there is cap space afterward and Kenny still wants to sign some older guys than fine but we really need to get younger.

I don't even understand the thinking behind this, other than "Hey, he's been here forever."

He's slow, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score, he can't kill penalties, he doesn't play on the PP. I'd take Miller and Eaves over him, WITHOUT A DOUBT.

Its pathetic isn't ?

if he spends the entire season in the minors and is used as a just in case measure during the playoffs I'd rather sign in at the trade deadline so the min. amount of salary is on the books. If he is honestly signing him for the entire season then I suppose Holland has said f*** the cup for another season now...

If he can't kill penalties, then why was Miller-Maltby one of our main penalty duos along with Helm-Eaves?

While not strictly relevant, I personally feel that he has more to offer than Draper, so it is a shame that an overpaid Draper will stay, while a remotely useful Maltby will be most likely be forced to leave.

Edited by NGKEIB

This is exactly why I wish the Wings would have given the GM Job to Steve Yzermand and not Holland. Kenny is a great GM but this team needs to start thinking youth first. I know we've always had veteran teams and they have worked well for us but with the NHL seemingly getting younger and younger we need to follow. Malts has been good for us but it's time to start thinking about growing younger teams. Let's get some of our younger players signed first and if there is cap space afterward and Kenny still wants to sign some older guys than fine but we really need to get younger.

Stupidest thing that I have read on LGW in a long time.

Yes! please yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Malts will play for us next year!

Could be his last year, and i think he gives us the mentality and will to win another cup!

Yet he failed to display the mentality and will to crack the lineup last season.

Nothing against Maltby, but he just doesn't have the legs to crack the Wings lineup anymore.