• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

Holland thinking of re-signing Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

I wouldn't mind having him mentoring the young guys in Grand Rapids next year.Isn't Mitchell Callahan gonna be a Griffin next year?He could use a veteran presence like Maltby to study from.Same with Landon Ferraro,I'm pretty sure he'll be in Grand Rapids next year as well.Maltby,like Downey,McCarty,and May in prior years,could prove beneficiary by spending some time with the Griffins.

I wouldn't mind having him mentoring the young guys in Grand Rapids next year.Isn't Mitchell Callahan gonna be a Griffin next year?He could use a veteran presence like Maltby to study from.Same with Landon Ferraro,I'm pretty sure he'll be in Grand Rapids next year as well.Maltby,like Downey,McCarty,and May in prior years,could prove beneficiary by spending some time with the Griffins.

Someone will have to confirm this, but I think that they are still too young.

Callahan has to wait until he turns 20 because he was drafted out of the CHL. :( I hope he's in GR on the same day he turns 20... I can't wait to see what he can do there. He's a really interesting prospect.

Callahan has to wait until he turns 20 because he was drafted out of the CHL. :( I hope he's in GR on the same day he turns 20... I can't wait to see what he can do there. He's a really interesting prospect.

The fact that he already has a contract seems like a pretty good sign if he didn't need to sign one for another couple of years.

Damn we got a while to wait then :( does the same go for Brendan Smith?And since Callahan has to wait till he's 20 to play in GR,does that mean we won't see him in Detroit in the preseason?What's the situation with Ferraro???I'm excited to see these kids

My understanding is that he can play for Detroit (so will most likely play in preaseason games; I believe he did last year too), just not for GR.

My understanding is that he can play for Detroit (so will most likely play in preaseason games; I believe he did last year too), just not for GR.

Odd... I never heard of that rule before, does this ONLY apply to CHL players? Is that some sort of "transfer agreement" between the leagues, just to protect the CHL?

Back to the original topic at hand, I still think the Maltby thing is nothing more than lip service and is just a courtesy to Malts, to talk him up so to speak, so he can latch on somewhere else if he wants, or concedes to spending most of the season in GR and being exposed to waivers as needed, where he could end up anywhere...

My prediction is that he either signs with Tampa Bay, or retires...

News article on detnews.com says Maltby is likely to be re-signed I guess based on the impression McCoskey got from interviewing Kenny on the subject.

http://detnews.com/article/20100630/SPORTS0103/6300369/1128/rss16

Holland said that a while ago, and McCosky is probably just giving his own opinion. The fact remains that Lilja has at least had some sort of offer, whereas Maltby hasn't. I'm sure that they will let Maltby test free agency, and if he hasn't signed by the end of the offseason, give him a contract but with the stipulation that he'll spend most of the season in GR.

If Malts re-signs, it better not be at the expense of Lilja :ranting:

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If the above happens, he'd probably play for peanuts/under a million given the stage of his career. I highly doubt if Maltby re-signs, it doesn't have any effect on money to possibly re-sign Lilja.

I can't understand why they would bring Malts back for anything other than some kind of loyalty. It's time to give more spots to younger players. Nothing that Malts provides can't be replaced by Abdelkader or another youngster.

Honestly, Detroit can only be so loyal to veteran players until it really starts impacting the younger talent. The loss of Quincey comes to mind.

Quincey had every opportunity to make the Detroit roster if he wanted to. If his ultimate goal was to stay with the Red Wings, he blew it. He didn't even beat out Derek Meech for a 7th or 8th defensive spot or whatever. Chris Chelios re-signing had little/no impact on Kyle Quincey. More power to Quincey for excelling in Los Angeles/Denver.

Quincey had every opportunity to make the Detroit roster if he wanted to. If his ultimate goal was to stay with the Red Wings, he blew it. He didn't even beat out Derek Meech for a 7th or 8th defensive spot or whatever. Chris Chelios re-signing had little/no impact on Kyle Quincey. More power to Quincey for excelling in Los Angeles/Denver.

I disagree, as re-signing Chelios in part did force them into a decision, but I don't want to rehash the whole Quincey debacle.

As for Maltby, I'm withholding judgement until he actually gets signed, retires, or signs elsewhere. And as I've stated, I love all that Maltby has done for this team in the past, but he doesn't offer anything Miller, Eaves or other players don't. It's time for the Wings to let him go.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Anyone else afraid this will soon turn into a "what if we kept Quincey" flame war? :rolleyes:

i can forsee a wings "History Will Be Made" commercial with that as the question. :ph34r::hehe::lol:

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

I disagree, as re-signing Chelios in part did force them into a decision, but I don't want to rehash the whole Quincey debacle.

As for Maltby, I'm withholding judgement until he actually gets signed, retires, or signs elsewhere. And as I've stated, I love all that Maltby has done for this team in the past, but he doesn't offer anything Miller, Eaves or other players don't. It's time for the Wings to let him go.

After I posted this I realized I left more detail out, and you pretty much caught it.

Would Chelios not being there help Quincey's chances? Possibly, as it would've been one less d-man for Qunicey to deal with.

However, he didn't play better than either Meech or Chelios when it counted most, whether it was fair or not, and Meech was already in the Wings immediate future plans, and perhaps somewhat long-term plans, so if staying in Detroit was #1 priority, Quincey failed to do so, and was expendable per se.

Sucks that we couldn't have gotten anything from him, but still the onus is more on Quincey, not management or Chelios.