• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

I wouldn't mind having him mentoring the young guys in Grand Rapids next year.Isn't Mitchell Callahan gonna be a Griffin next year?He could use a veteran presence like Maltby to study from.Same with Landon Ferraro,I'm pretty sure he'll be in Grand Rapids next year as well.Maltby,like Downey,McCarty,and May in prior years,could prove beneficiary by spending some time with the Griffins.

Callahan has to wait until he turns 20 because he was drafted out of the CHL. :( I hope he's in GR on the same day he turns 20... I can't wait to see what he can do there. He's a really interesting prospect.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#82 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

Callahan has to wait until he turns 20 because he was drafted out of the CHL. :( I hope he's in GR on the same day he turns 20... I can't wait to see what he can do there. He's a really interesting prospect.

The fact that he already has a contract seems like a pretty good sign if he didn't need to sign one for another couple of years.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#83 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

Damn we got a while to wait then :( does the same go for Brendan Smith?And since Callahan has to wait till he's 20 to play in GR,does that mean we won't see him in Detroit in the preseason?What's the situation with Ferraro???I'm excited to see these kids
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#84 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Damn we got a while to wait then :( does the same go for Brendan Smith?And since Callahan has to wait till he's 20 to play in GR,does that mean we won't see him in Detroit in the preseason?What's the situation with Ferraro???I'm excited to see these kids

My understanding is that he can play for Detroit (so will most likely play in preaseason games; I believe he did last year too), just not for GR.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#85 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

My understanding is that he can play for Detroit (so will most likely play in preaseason games; I believe he did last year too), just not for GR.

Odd... I never heard of that rule before, does this ONLY apply to CHL players? Is that some sort of "transfer agreement" between the leagues, just to protect the CHL?

Back to the original topic at hand, I still think the Maltby thing is nothing more than lip service and is just a courtesy to Malts, to talk him up so to speak, so he can latch on somewhere else if he wants, or concedes to spending most of the season in GR and being exposed to waivers as needed, where he could end up anywhere...

My prediction is that he either signs with Tampa Bay, or retires...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#86 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

News article on detnews.com says Maltby is likely to be re-signed I guess based on the impression McCoskey got from interviewing Kenny on the subject.

http://detnews.com/a...0369/1128/rss16

#87 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:42 AM

News article on detnews.com says Maltby is likely to be re-signed I guess based on the impression McCoskey got from interviewing Kenny on the subject.

http://detnews.com/a...0369/1128/rss16

Holland said that a while ago, and McCosky is probably just giving his own opinion. The fact remains that Lilja has at least had some sort of offer, whereas Maltby hasn't. I'm sure that they will let Maltby test free agency, and if he hasn't signed by the end of the offseason, give him a contract but with the stipulation that he'll spend most of the season in GR.

#88 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

If Malts re-signs, it better not be at the expense of Lilja :ranting:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#89 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

If Malts re-signs, it better not be at the expense of Lilja :ranting:

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If the above happens, he'd probably play for peanuts/under a million given the stage of his career. I highly doubt if Maltby re-signs, it doesn't have any effect on money to possibly re-sign Lilja.

#90 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

I can't understand why they would bring Malts back for anything other than some kind of loyalty. It's time to give more spots to younger players. Nothing that Malts provides can't be replaced by Abdelkader or another youngster.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#91 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

Honestly, Detroit can only be so loyal to veteran players until it really starts impacting the younger talent. The loss of Quincey comes to mind.

#92 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

This re-signing would just boggle the mind... People going back to saying "well we have a proven guy who can be called up at any time". The f***? Think about that for a second. WE NEED YOUTH!!!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#93 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Personally i will lose all faith in ken holland if he re-signs this guy...it's getting rediculous imo.

#94 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Honestly, Detroit can only be so loyal to veteran players until it really starts impacting the younger talent. The loss of Quincey comes to mind.

Quincey had every opportunity to make the Detroit roster if he wanted to. If his ultimate goal was to stay with the Red Wings, he blew it. He didn't even beat out Derek Meech for a 7th or 8th defensive spot or whatever. Chris Chelios re-signing had little/no impact on Kyle Quincey. More power to Quincey for excelling in Los Angeles/Denver.

#95 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Quincey had every opportunity to make the Detroit roster if he wanted to. If his ultimate goal was to stay with the Red Wings, he blew it. He didn't even beat out Derek Meech for a 7th or 8th defensive spot or whatever. Chris Chelios re-signing had little/no impact on Kyle Quincey. More power to Quincey for excelling in Los Angeles/Denver.

I disagree, as re-signing Chelios in part did force them into a decision, but I don't want to rehash the whole Quincey debacle.

As for Maltby, I'm withholding judgement until he actually gets signed, retires, or signs elsewhere. And as I've stated, I love all that Maltby has done for this team in the past, but he doesn't offer anything Miller, Eaves or other players don't. It's time for the Wings to let him go.

#96 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

Anyone else afraid this will soon turn into a "what if we kept Quincey" flame war? :rolleyes:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#97 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Anyone else afraid this will soon turn into a "what if we kept Quincey" flame war? :rolleyes:

i can forsee a wings "History Will Be Made" commercial with that as the question. :ph34r::hehe: :lol:

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 30 June 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#98 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

I disagree, as re-signing Chelios in part did force them into a decision, but I don't want to rehash the whole Quincey debacle.

As for Maltby, I'm withholding judgement until he actually gets signed, retires, or signs elsewhere. And as I've stated, I love all that Maltby has done for this team in the past, but he doesn't offer anything Miller, Eaves or other players don't. It's time for the Wings to let him go.

After I posted this I realized I left more detail out, and you pretty much caught it.

Would Chelios not being there help Quincey's chances? Possibly, as it would've been one less d-man for Qunicey to deal with.

However, he didn't play better than either Meech or Chelios when it counted most, whether it was fair or not, and Meech was already in the Wings immediate future plans, and perhaps somewhat long-term plans, so if staying in Detroit was #1 priority, Quincey failed to do so, and was expendable per se.

Sucks that we couldn't have gotten anything from him, but still the onus is more on Quincey, not management or Chelios.