• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Halak traded to Blues

Rate this topic

Are these high-end prospects? They better be if they came in for Halak... I'm shocked they chose Price over him. How much is potential worth when your playoff MVP has to be traded to allow it to develop further?

Keep in mind Halak is now 25 - Price 22. Price at 25 will be better than Halak now. It was a smart long term move. Now they bring in a guy like Biron to back up Price and give him guidance (he has never really had a mentor - its been 2 young guys for most of his career) and he will develop into what he is supposed to be.

Did they make the right choice for next season. Not necessarily. Did they make the right choice for the next 5 years...Yes definitely.

Edited by russianswede919293

Keep in mind Halak is now 25 - Price 22. Price at 25 will be better than Halak now. It was a smart long term move. Now they bring in a guy like Biron to back up Price and give him guidance (he has never really had a mentor - its been 2 young guys for most of his career) and he will develop into what he is supposed to be.

Did they make the right choice for next season. Not necessarily. Did they make the right choice for the next 5 years...Yes definitely.

thats a big IF, if price fulfills his potential. potential is the most dangerous word in sports. how many prospect ever really fulfill their potential. They basically traded away a guy they called the 2nd coming of Christ; the pressure on Price will be insane.

Halak is at what I think will be the highest point of his career...Yes that playoff run was miraculous but he has a lot of issues.

He has continually (either him or his agent) gone to the media to publicly air dirty laundry. In addition for as many great moments he had in the playoffs he had quite a few oh s*** moments as well where he played terribly.

Price had to relieve Halak in 3 games, and started one...SO yes Halak was great but at times he wasn't so great as well.

Halak at 25 is not as good as what Price could be at 25 (yes I know that says could)

The Canadiens have invested a lot of time and effort into Price and decided not to give up on him yet (can't fault them for that). The best way to get the potential out of him is to get him a mentor. Where would Howard be without Osgood...answer not as good as Howard is.

A guy like Martin Biron will come in and back up Price and I think that Price will have better stats than Halak. Maybe not next year - but 3 years from now it will show that this was the right move.

This is kinda funny seeing how all the Habs fans were going crazy for Halak thinking he was the second coming of Roy or something. At least we get to watch another season of Montreal taunting and booing Price.

And the same thing happened with Price.

I would love to know what really happened behind the scenes, if anything did happen, so we can understand this trade. As someone said his trade value was higher but do you think other GMs would of made an offer that was to great for Price or Halak that would of screwed them royally by trying to hang onto both?

Now since Halak is a Blues man now I hope this past SC playoffs was a fluke :P

EDIT: It seems they just think Price will be a better goalie in the future based off the Pierre Gauthier phone interview on TSN

Edited by dragonballgtz

Solid goaltending with every Central team now. Well, that team in Chicago in my mind still has a problem but they have that one trophy too.

Oh really and were top notch, get real we have second tier goaltending if that what we go into this season with.. Halak wanted this guy in Detroit 2yrs. ago - we'd have 2 exstra cups; he's one cool customer.

And the same thing happened with Price.

I would love to know what really happened behind the scenes, if anything did happen, so we can understand this trade. As someone said his trade value was higher but do you think other GMs would of made an offer that was to great for Price or Halak that would of screwed them royally by trying to hang onto both?

Now since Halak is a Blues man now I hope this past SC playoffs was a fluke :P

EDIT: It seems they just think Price will be a better goalie in the future based off the Pierre Gauthier phone interview on TSN

This guy is no fluke he's the real deal. He was also incredible during the regular season . I think he averaged about 32 shots and up every game he played.

He's an RFA this year. Both he and Price are set to be RFA's, so Montreal had a decision to make.

Yes the fools they are!

There has to be something going on here. Halak must have not wanted to stay in Montreal and maybe someone in the Blues organization (and probably other teams) knew this. Montreal didn't have much to bargain with if Halak had made it clear he wasn't going to re-sign with them. On the bright side, my Price jersey isn't out of date... for now.

By the way the Gm of the Blues Pleau is a former Canadian- hmmmm.

Guest mindfly

So he has yet to sign a contract with the blues they just traded his rights or?

Not exactly. Eller projects to be a good top-six forward with good two-way play.

Schultz is a power-forward, so his offensive development will determine if he becomes a top-six forward or a third/forth-line grinder.

Montreal is out of their mind. I'm shocked they couldn't get something better than that for Halak. Why did they make this trade? Price is an average NHL goaltender (at best) with tons of unfulfilled potential but serious mental blocks created by horrifyingly bad management.

Halak has shown that he can be an elite goalie right now. Price is young and has the potential to be an elite goalie.

Before the playoffs I'd say this trade makes sense but after the way Halak played it just seems retarded to me. Worst case they should have signed both and made room for them then traded whoever didn't fit.

Halak must have made it clear that he didn't want to return to Montreal.

This guy carried them through the playoffs, while they were getting outshot 3 to 1 by much more talented teams, and they trade him?

They traded his rights.

He was up for arbitration and Price isn't.

Price is younger, cheaper, bigger, and has a higher ceiling.

They traded his rights.

He was up for arbitration and Price isn't.

Price is younger, cheaper, bigger, and has a higher ceiling.

I'll take a sure thing over potential any day. Halak has proven that he can be an excellent playoff goalie. Meanwhile Price hasn't even proven that he deserves to be a #1 goalie. Sure, he's younger & cheaper, but what exactly does that mean? I'm young, cheap and horny but you don't see any offers coming my way.

I think Montreal made a mistake right here. You've seen the Maple Leafs do the exact same thing when they chose Justin Pogge over Tuuka Rask. Pogge was suppose to be "the future", but anyone with two eyes could clearly see that Rask was better.

Oh well, have fun Montreal. You've made a terrible mistake and now you will pay the "price" ;)

Edited by puffy

I'll take a sure thing over potential any day. Halak has proven that he can be an excellent playoff goalie. Meanwhile Price hasn't even proven that he deserves to be a #1 goalie. Sure, he's younger & cheaper, but what exactly does that mean? I'm young, cheap and horny but you don't see any offers coming my way.

I think Montreal made a mistake right here. You've seen the Maple Leafs do the exact same thing when they chose Justin Pogge over Tuuka Rask. Pogge was suppose to be "the future", but anyone with two eyes could clearly see that Rask was better.

Oh well, have fun Montreal. You've made a terrible mistake and now you will pay the "price" ;)

There was no guarantee that Halak would have signed though. That's a major gamble, if you lose Halak for nothing.

Goaltending is a very unpredictable position, Halak might have been good this playoffs, but Fleury looked good in the 08-09 playoffs as well.

Also Halak didn't have to carry the load as a number 1 goalie most of the season as well.

That said I think Halak is going to be a very good goalie, it's just practically impossible to say that goaltending is a sure thing.

Theodore won a Hart trophy, Giguere won a Conn Smythe etc.

There was no guarantee that Halak would have signed though. That's a major gamble, if you lose Halak for nothing.

Goaltending is a very unpredictable position, Halak might have been good this playoffs, but Fleury looked good in the 08-09 playoffs as well.

Also Halak didn't have to carry the load as a number 1 goalie most of the season as well.

That said I think Halak is going to be a very good goalie, it's just practically impossible to say that goaltending is a sure thing.

Theodore won a Hart trophy, Giguere won a Conn Smythe etc.

I just think that putting the pressure of being the undisputed #1 goalie in Montreal on Price is too much for him to handle. He's done nothing but crack under pressure and at no point has he shown us that he is capable of being a consistent #1 goalie.

With Halak they stood a chance. With Price....I honestly think they will miss the playoffs next season.

Edited by puffy

I just think that putting the pressure of being the undisputed #1 goalie in Montreal on Price is too much for him to handle. He's done nothing but crack under pressure and at no point has he shown us that he is capable of being a consistent #1 goalie.

With Halak they stood a chance. With Price....I honestly think they will miss the playoffs next season.

Who is to say Halak won't fall back down to earth?

Halak was going to be much more expensive, and that money could be used to make the line up better rather then just hoping Halak can steal the cup again. Price's trade value is very low right now, and Halak's value couldn't be higher.

With this move they can keep the goaltending position cheap and use that extra money to give the team in front of the goalie a much better chance.

Price isn't the worst goalie in the world, he's had some attitude issues in the past, but for the present we don't know what the Montreal staff does, they must think he has what it takes, and they have much more information available then you do, sorry.

In summary, this was a gambling situation, either play it safe with option A. And try to sign both goalies, which either 1) They lose Halak for less than this trade for Eller* or 2) they sign him to a pretty contract, lose Plekanec or a shot at a big name free agent and hope that he can provide the same level of goaltending.

Or option B which is trade his rights, get a blue chip center prospect that is NHL ready and go with your goalie that you drafted 5th overall and have seen first hand for 5 years.

Both are gambles, but at least with option B they can avoid having to gamble on a possible bad contract. It's a much safer move money-wise, which is important with the salary cap.

Edited by Carman

In summary, this was a gambling situation, either play it safe with option A. And try to sign both goalies, which either 1) They lose Halak for absolutely nothing or 2) they sign him to a pretty contract, lose Plekanec or a shot at a big name free agent and hope that he can provide the same level of goaltending.

He is a RFA

Edited by dragonballgtz