• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Bienvenue au la Belle Province.... Rumour has it they traded Halak because he couldn't speak french and he didnt like poutine!

#22 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

Are these high-end prospects? They better be if they came in for Halak... I'm shocked they chose Price over him. How much is potential worth when your playoff MVP has to be traded to allow it to develop further?

Not exactly. Eller projects to be a good top-six forward with good two-way play.

Schultz is a power-forward, so his offensive development will determine if he becomes a top-six forward or a third/forth-line grinder.

#23 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

There has to be something going on here. Halak must have not wanted to stay in Montreal and maybe someone in the Blues organization (and probably other teams) knew this. Montreal didn't have much to bargain with if Halak had made it clear he wasn't going to re-sign with them. On the bright side, my Price jersey isn't out of date... for now.

#24 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Price had little trading value right now. They would've got basically nothing out of him. He still has great potential though and fits for the Canadiens mould. Halak is obviously the better goalie at the moment, but the trade has other factors as well.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#25 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

This is kinda funny seeing how all the Habs fans were going crazy for Halak thinking he was the second coming of Roy or something. At least we get to watch another season of Montreal taunting and booing Price.

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Are these high-end prospects? They better be if they came in for Halak... I'm shocked they chose Price over him. How much is potential worth when your playoff MVP has to be traded to allow it to develop further?

Lars Eller should pan out to be a vFlip with slightly better scoring and slightly worse defense.

Ian Schultz seems like a power forward/ Grinder that's a third line/second line tweener, depending on if he can reach his potential. This kid is tough too, and enjoys a good scrap. (Cue the fight lovers that say we should have traded Howard and made this deal) lol
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Better lock down my doors and windows, feel a riot coming on.

#28 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

:siren:

Edited by Original-Six, 17 June 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#29 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Wonder where Conks will sign then?

ConkBlock has one more year left on his deal with STL. It's Mason who's contract is up.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#30 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Keep in mind Halak is now 25 - Price 22. Price at 25 will be better than Halak now. It was a smart long term move. Now they bring in a guy like Biron to back up Price and give him guidance (he has never really had a mentor - its been 2 young guys for most of his career) and he will develop into what he is supposed to be.

Did they make the right choice for next season. Not necessarily. Did they make the right choice for the next 5 years...Yes definitely.

Edited by russianswede919293, 17 June 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#31 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Price is overrated. The Habs will regret this.

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Maybe Price won't be Montreal's number one goalie.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Keep in mind Halak is now 25 - Price 22. Price at 25 will be better than Halak now. It was a smart long term move. Now they bring in a guy like Biron to back up Price and give him guidance (he has never really had a mentor - its been 2 young guys for most of his career) and he will develop into what he is supposed to be.

Did they make the right choice for next season. Not necessarily. Did they make the right choice for the next 5 years...Yes definitely.

thats a big IF, if price fulfills his potential. potential is the most dangerous word in sports. how many prospect ever really fulfill their potential. They basically traded away a guy they called the 2nd coming of Christ; the pressure on Price will be insane.

#34 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

I don't even know what to say to this one... lol.

"Oooh... Lars Eller. He's is from zee Denmark. Zat is kind of close to zee Fraaaance."

But seriously, wtf...

#35 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Halak is at what I think will be the highest point of his career...Yes that playoff run was miraculous but he has a lot of issues.

He has continually (either him or his agent) gone to the media to publicly air dirty laundry. In addition for as many great moments he had in the playoffs he had quite a few oh s*** moments as well where he played terribly.

Price had to relieve Halak in 3 games, and started one...SO yes Halak was great but at times he wasn't so great as well.

Halak at 25 is not as good as what Price could be at 25 (yes I know that says could)

The Canadiens have invested a lot of time and effort into Price and decided not to give up on him yet (can't fault them for that). The best way to get the potential out of him is to get him a mentor. Where would Howard be without Osgood...answer not as good as Howard is.

A guy like Martin Biron will come in and back up Price and I think that Price will have better stats than Halak. Maybe not next year - but 3 years from now it will show that this was the right move.

#36 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

This is kinda funny seeing how all the Habs fans were going crazy for Halak thinking he was the second coming of Roy or something. At least we get to watch another season of Montreal taunting and booing Price.

And the same thing happened with Price.

I would love to know what really happened behind the scenes, if anything did happen, so we can understand this trade. As someone said his trade value was higher but do you think other GMs would of made an offer that was to great for Price or Halak that would of screwed them royally by trying to hang onto both?

Now since Halak is a Blues man now I hope this past SC playoffs was a fluke :P

EDIT: It seems they just think Price will be a better goalie in the future based off the Pierre Gauthier phone interview on TSN

Edited by dragonballgtz, 17 June 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#37 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Solid goaltending with every Central team now. Well, that team in Chicago in my mind still has a problem but they have that one trophy too.

Oh really and were top notch, get real we have second tier goaltending if that what we go into this season with.. Halak wanted this guy in Detroit 2yrs. ago - we'd have 2 exstra cups; he's one cool customer.

And the same thing happened with Price.

I would love to know what really happened behind the scenes, if anything did happen, so we can understand this trade. As someone said his trade value was higher but do you think other GMs would of made an offer that was to great for Price or Halak that would of screwed them royally by trying to hang onto both?

Now since Halak is a Blues man now I hope this past SC playoffs was a fluke :P

EDIT: It seems they just think Price will be a better goalie in the future based off the Pierre Gauthier phone interview on TSN

This guy is no fluke he's the real deal. He was also incredible during the regular season . I think he averaged about 32 shots and up every game he played.

He's an RFA this year. Both he and Price are set to be RFA's, so Montreal had a decision to make.

Yes the fools they are!

There has to be something going on here. Halak must have not wanted to stay in Montreal and maybe someone in the Blues organization (and probably other teams) knew this. Montreal didn't have much to bargain with if Halak had made it clear he wasn't going to re-sign with them. On the bright side, my Price jersey isn't out of date... for now.

By the way the Gm of the Blues Pleau is a former Canadian- hmmmm.

#38 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

So he has yet to sign a contract with the blues they just traded his rights or?

#39 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Not exactly. Eller projects to be a good top-six forward with good two-way play.

Schultz is a power-forward, so his offensive development will determine if he becomes a top-six forward or a third/forth-line grinder.

Montreal is out of their mind. I'm shocked they couldn't get something better than that for Halak. Why did they make this trade? Price is an average NHL goaltender (at best) with tons of unfulfilled potential but serious mental blocks created by horrifyingly bad management.

Halak has shown that he can be an elite goalie right now. Price is young and has the potential to be an elite goalie.

Before the playoffs I'd say this trade makes sense but after the way Halak played it just seems retarded to me. Worst case they should have signed both and made room for them then traded whoever didn't fit.

Halak must have made it clear that he didn't want to return to Montreal.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

"Yee *******, I'm startin' Lets Party!"