• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest blueadams

Is it time to trade Cleary?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I love the guy...but what does he bring to the team that Miller and Eaves don't for 1/6th the price!?

Trade him and we've got about 4 mil to spend on his replacement. I'd like to replace him with someone that brings a little more offensive ability to that third line. For 4 mil, we might even be able to get someone that hits and plays defense as well.

Bottom line, if we could replace Cleary with a 4 mil free agent...that third line is a real-deal threat (or we could get a little trickier, have flip center the third line...4 mil is a lot of money, we could get a 1st or 2nd line winger). We won't depend on our top two lines so much. If we're lucky, it might even make us a little more physical. And really, we're losing absolutely nothing. Homer has always been our first guy in front of the net, Bert is now our second. We've got Helm, Eaves, Miller and Abby who are all better than Cleary on the penalty-kill.

Win-Win.

I love the guy...but he's become a little like Lapointe would have been for us if we had resigned him instead of losing him to Boston. He gets paid a lot. He doesn't do much for us that a min. salary guy does. It's a problem. Still, someone will probably take on his contract for draft picks...or...we could get real creative.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Abdelkader-Eaves

Draper

(Ritola)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja/Meech/FA

(Janik)

Howard

Osgood

Edited by blueadams

He was all banged up last year.

He provides front net presence, PK ability, defensive play and physicality along with 20 goals when he is healthy. His impact is felt much more off the score sheet then on.

Now if he struggles to get the puck in the net by the trade deadline then I can see trying to shop him around, but that will be a hard thing to sell.

Well,this is really a line thread in shaky disguise. Cleary has a NTC.

I like those lines, I'd switch Bert and Hudler.

I also don't think we should sign Miller. He is brings the same thing as Eaves and others, I'd rather spend that money on a really physical 4th liner.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with how our team is looking next year. Lets just stay healthy.

Guest blueadams

4 mil isn't enough to get kovalchuck or marleau (unless one goes hossa), but what about...

Plekanec?

Whitney?

Stempniak?

Frolov?

Lombardi?

Koivu?

these options all sound a heck of a lot better than having cleary for another year...and that's not even taking into consideration the fact that we could replace him with a defenseman.

Guest blueadams

Well,this is really a line thread in shaky disguise. Cleary has a NTC.

I like those lines, I'd switch Bert and Hudler.

I also don't think we should sign Miller. He is brings the same thing as Eaves and others, I'd rather spend that money on a really physical 4th liner.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with how our team is looking next year. Lets just stay healthy.

...if you like those lines...how about loving these?

Plekanec-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Draper

(Ritola)

So he's finally healthy after 2 seasons, and now we wanna trade him? No, lets just let it play out. Barring injury, Cleary, Hudler and Filpulla will all play well this season. If one of them falters, then I could see a trade because there salarys are very similar. But now? Your mad.

The good thing about Cleary is he's extremely versatile. He can play on the top line, bottom line, PP, PK, against the opposition's top players, in the last minute of a close game.

You mention Plekanec blueadams, but he's one of the top players available (just short of Kovalchuk and Marleau) in a very shallow free agent pool. Some team will overpay for him. And actually I don't know that there are many 70 point guys out there making around $4M after they go through free agency anyways.

Guest blueadams

At least 10-15 more goals?

Also the ability to play top 6 minutes.

10-15 more goals if he's playing top 6 minutes, sure...but what is it about him as a player that actually seperates him from eaves/miller?

10-15 more goals if he's playing top 6 minutes, sure...but what is it about him as a player that actually seperates him from eaves/miller?

cleary can play on in almost any situation and put up decent numbers during the regular season and in the playoffs when healthy. miller cannot.

even in his good seasons...

does cleary really bring something (something worth 2.5 mil extra) to the table that eaves/miller don't?

Yeah, remember those nine playoff goals Cleary had in one run? Eaves and Miller have five career playoff goals combined.

This is like the third "trade Cleary" thread already this summer. It's not happening, nor should it. Thankfully the Red Wings brass doesn't have short-term memories like many fans.

Edited by GoWings1905

Does anyone else have the craziest sense of Deja vu? I swear I read this exact thread with the same first 3-4 posts a couple weeks ago.

Not a joke....seriously asking?

Yeah, this exact thing has come up several times.

Honestly, people need to cut the guy some slack. He's played injured for the past two seasons. When he's healthy he's one of the most versatile guys on the team, and he's also got one of the biggest drives/hearts. If half way through the upcoming season Cleary is still struggling, while healthy, then I'd say give it some consideration. Even with that in mind, if Cleary doesn't want to leave Detroit, he won't. Just like Rafalski... these guys have NTC's! I don't know why people don't understand that.

There was a quote I saw recently about how Cleary knows that he's being paid good money, and that he hasn't earned it this past year. He said something along the lines of: "I'm going to have to work the hardest I ever have this off-season."

Personally, I believe him. I believe that Cleary is going to be a productive member of the 3rd line and put up another 20-20 season.

put eaves or miller on the 1st or 2nd line and they'll score close to as many goals as cleary, and for 500k, imo.

Maybe, but then they wouldn't be getting paid that for long.

Eaves in particular probably could notch 20 goals with Pav or Hank, but I think the line's scoring as a whole would suffer without a net-front type player. And then the only way to make that work would be to have like Homer and Eaves as its wingers, which is far from optimal.

NTC.

/END Thread

:thumbup: This. But this doesn't even tell the whole story.

Already did a thread polling the entire negative ass LGW world and couldn't even get more than 25% to say yes. Granted I got called out on that one stating that Kenny Holland and Jim Nill do not look at LGW and if they did would probably want to shoot themselves with some of these insane ideas/trades. Clears is a warrior. Brings waaay more to the table that a 100% Eaves/Miller couldn't match if they wanted to and its just plain fact in talent. He has an incredible to create even with said lack of stick skill and or hands. He just goes balls out every single shift regular season or playoffs it doesn't matter. He demands respect simply on play and play alone and not to mention when a guy like Cheli recommends a dude, something has to be there. And as we have seen over the past 4 years the guy has done nothing but give his all. I realize there are countless guys that bust ass night in and out and I am not saying Clears is on his own with that. But give him this year, a 100% Clears brings way beyond what anybody else thinks. See 09 playoffs. Torn meniscus. Now I know I haven't torn anything in my life but he played through it and yeah he was unnoticeable. But lets think before automatic trade thoughts please.

Edited by HankthaTank

even in his good seasons...

does cleary really bring something (something worth 2.5 mil extra) to the table that eaves/miller don't?

Miller sucks.

Eaves is decent.

Cleary was putting on an almost conn smythe worthy playoff run 2 years ago. Cleary has been hurt 2 seasons, he played through 2 torn meniscus this season and was still abetter player then Miller, and last Stanley cup finals he played through a torn groin and broken hand.

Yeah I think he brings something the other 2 don't....

Miller sucks.

Eaves is decent.

Cleary was putting on an almost conn smythe worthy playoff run 2 years ago. Cleary has been hurt 2 seasons, he played through 2 torn meniscus this season and was still abetter player then Miller, and last Stanley cup finals he played through a torn groin and broken hand.

Yeah I think he brings something the other 2 don't....

What I wanted to say in less words lol. Just get a bit worked up about these particular threads then I forget where I am posting for some reason.

Does anyone else have the craziest sense of Deja vu? I swear I read this exact thread with the same first 3-4 posts a couple weeks ago.

Not a joke....seriously asking?

It was a poll. This isn't the same, and it's not even close :P