• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Another Preds trade: Arnott to NJ

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Wow, the Hammuis trade was semi-expected, but this one hurts. Looks like it's going to be a different Nashville team we'll be seeing the next few years.

Pretty good return for Arnott at this stage of his contract and and playing ability though.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest Crymson

Anyone else think the Preds may be making cap room for Kovalchuck?

The Predators cannot afford to spend up to the salary cap, so no.

Anyone else think the Preds may be making cap room for Kovalchuck?

He'd be an idiot to sign there. The Preds, according to Cap Geek, now have $18,870,833 in space although I know the owners aren't willing to spend to the limit. A team on a small budget probably won't be shelling out for a big name either though.

Definitely sounds like New Jersey wants some insurance in case they can't re-sign Kovalchuk. Not that Arnott is near Kovalchuk's level, but still, definitely helps add depth and gives them a guy with leadership, a physical presence, and someone who can win crucial faceoffs. I like this move for the devils. But like I said, he is certainly no Kovy.

I don't know why owners buy teams if they aren't willing to spend money on them. Do they expect fans to buy tickets when they trade away good players from their playoff team and leave tons of cap space unused? Would be really tough to be a fan on a team that isn't even trying to win.

Wow, the Hammuis trade was semi-expected, but this one hurts. Looks like it's going to be a different Nashville team we'll be seeing the next few years.

Pretty good return for Arnott at this stage of his contract and and playing ability though.

Yeah I've got to agree, although Arnott still has hockey left in him so it's not a terrible move by NJ. This clearly indicates that they won't retain Kovy.

Wow surprising, Arnott was a huge part of the Preds. While this SHOULD make things easier in the central next year, I'm kinda disappointed... I always liked that the Preds were this tough team that nobody ever talked about, a team that's always under the radar but always in the mix.

Really curious to see where Kovy goes now.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Don't know what the Preds plan is but I've always liked how the Devils built their teams and think this was a great move for them considering they hardly gave up anything. Seems like they think Kovy or Martin is gone or are hoping Arnott will make them want to stay.

Arnott hasn't been the same since he scored that game-tying goal in the playoffs and had his head slammed against the glass in the celebration.

This is true. His failure/unwillingness to use his size the last couple of years has been maddening to Preds fans, and is probably due in large part to his concussion issues. He's been good for us but his play has declined and his salary ($4.5 million) was probably more than the team was willing to pay at this point. The Preds will probably put some of that money towards retaining some of the younger players (Hornqvist, Weber, Suter), and maybe (hopefully?) a top 6 forward on the free agent market. I don't believe there's any chance they go after someone like Kovalchuk though.

Arnott had a no trade clause, so when it became apparent after the season was over that the Preds did not want to give him an extension, he gave them a list of teams to whom he would accept a trade. From the sound of things there are no hard feelings or ill will on either side.

Just like we saw a few years ago. Preds finally look like a team who are a few pieces away from being a serious competitor.....And they tear the team apart.

:unsure:

Are the Preds in trouble with the salary cap?

I wouldn't think so considering their limited array of talent. Who's taking up the money on that team?

Nobody's really taking up money, although David Legwand's contract is a joke. The organization is just broke as hell, they don't like to spend much over the league minimum. It's a sort of self-imposed salary cap. That's why Barry Trotz gets so much respect. He basically gets told "Here, take these spare parts without a superstar and try to make the playoffs." And he does a fine job.