• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Zenon Konopka

Rate this topic

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not only fight 2-3 times next year. He is not an enforcer by any means but put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

Yeah I saw that too and just didn't comment. Abdelkader had 3 fights in the playoffs last year alone lol. Abby by himself will probably fight somewhere between 5 and 10 times next year. Figuratively speaking if we sign Konopka that line would raise some serious hell but Abby wouldn't have to fight as much which could let him work on his scoring touch. I would still expect 5-10 fights but Konopka would be stepping in for most of them. I bet if the 4th line was Abby Eaves and Konopka even Eaves would step up and fight about 5 times next year.

Yeah I saw that too and just didn't comment. Abdelkader had 3 fights in the playoffs last year alone lol. Abby by himself will probably fight somewhere between 5 and 10 times next year. Figuratively speaking if we sign Konopka that line would raise some serious hell but Abby wouldn't have to fight as much which could let him work on his scoring touch. I would still expect 5-10 fights but Konopka would be stepping in for most of them. I bet if the 4th line was Abby Eaves and Konopka even Eaves would step up and fight about 5 times next year.

The more I think about it, the further Konopka drops on my list... if we're looking bargain, I'd rather us bring in someone like Brian McGrattan or Krys Barch...

with that said, I'd still rather us go out and get a QUALITY player that just happens to be able to fight as well and spend a little extra -

1. Arron Asham

2. Eric Nystrom

3. Brad Winchester

4. Ethan Moreau (if bought out)

--bargain--

5. Jarred Boll

6. Brian McGrattan

7. Krys Barch

8. Zenon Konopka

9. Erik Boulton

10. Raitis Ivanans

EDIT - Went a little overboard with my comparison and corrected rankings

Edited by stevkrause

The more I think about it, the further Konopka drops on my list... if we're looking bargain, I'd rather us bring in someone like Raitis Ivanans, Brian McGrattan or Krys Barch...

with that said, I'd still rather us go out and get a QUALITY player that just happens to be able to fight as well and spend a little extra -

1. Arron Asham

2. Eric Nystrom

3. Brad Winchester

4. Ethan Moreau (if bought out)

--bargain--

5. Jarred Boll

6. Brian McGrattan

7. Raitis Ivanans

8. Krys Barch

9. Zenon Konopka

10. Erik Boulton

We're signing a 4th liner. How many 4th liners in todays NHL are really quality. Draper gives us about 9 minutes a night, so whats the difference if we get Konopka who gives us 8 minutes plus the thought in the back of the players minds that he'll stick up for them.

Nystrom, asham or Winchester would be sweet but theyre going to cost us more and are more like 3rd liners then a 4th line cheap guy. Besides Boll, Konopka is amuch better player then the other enforcers you listed. Boulton is a huge plug, Mcgratton is tough as nails but can't play, and Ivanans is the worst of them all. Konopka is going to give us more offense then Maltby or May did last year. Playing on a decent 4th line with Eaves and Abby, Konopka might actually get back that scoring touch he had in the AHL.

We're signing a 4th liner. How many 4th liners in todays NHL are really quality. Draper gives us about 9 minutes a night, so whats the difference if we get Konopka who gives us 8 minutes plus the thought in the back of the players minds that he'll stick up for them.

Nystrom, asham or Winchester would be sweet but theyre going to cost us more and are more like 3rd liners then a 4th line cheap guy. Besides Boll, Konopka is amuch better player then the other enforcers you listed. Boulton is a huge plug, Mcgratton is tough as nails but can't play, and Ivanans is the worst of them all. Konopka is going to give us more offense then Maltby or May did last year. Playing on a decent 4th line with Eaves and Abby, Konopka might actually get back that scoring touch he had in the AHL.

I don't like the cheapshots and if we're going to get someone for dirt cheap, to play a very limited role, I'd almost rather him be a heavy... with that said, with the inflator, I don't think we need to settle for a discount guy and Winchester, Nystrom and Boll could all be had for likely less than a million, Asham on the other hand, might cost a little more...

I don't know, I concede that I went a little over the top putting Ivanans over him, but I still would take McGrattan over him at this point, as I he's a VERY legit heavy and if we're going discount, I'd take that over a guy who is going to likely take stupid penalties at bad times like Konopka is known to do...

EDIT - I fixed my initial list

Edited by stevkrause

As far as the salary issue goes,bottom line is we shouldn't be paying a 4th liner a mil,no excuses.That's what I like about Boll and Konopka is that they both can skate relatively well,throw hits,fight anyone,and chip in a little bit on offense,for ~ 600 K.Absolutely ridiculous to spend so much on a 4th liner.

Your body doesn't start declining. You may have had injuries like I said. Injuries are injuries. Yeah, I admit players stats have declined after 33. What is your take in this whole conversation by the way? Can't you just drop it already?

Your body does in fact start declining, especially the physical aspect involved in being a professional athlete. If that were not the case, alot of athletes would have their peak performance years in their mid to late 30's as opposed to their twenties (See Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Jagr, Brett Hull, Roenick, Modano, and many other recent retirees.) And yes, I'll gladly drop it if you will.

I'd love to have McGrattan or Ivanans but I don't see Holland signing either. Sure they are easily the best "enforcers" on the market and McGrattan can beat any guy in the league on any given night. Ivanans a little less so but can hang with anyone.

I just don't see Holland signing a guy like McGrattan who won't get all that much ice time, won't chip in offensively all that often(all though playing on the Wings 4th line could make him have a career year) and really isn't going to add anything besides intimidation & fighting.

I'd still love to see McGrattan get a chance with the Wings. He would be absolutely loved by the fans and would give the Wings more room on the ice then a guy like Barch who wouldn't scare a turtle.

People would throw riots if Halfway through the season,we had to deal with ANOTHER fan favorite sent down to Grand Rapids.McGrattan jerseys would sell just as fast as Datsyuk jerseys. I'd love to have McGrattan here!but I don't wanna see him rot in the minors...

That worries me too. I'd like to have someone who will go to the playoffs with the team.

Your body does in fact start declining, especially the physical aspect involved in being a professional athlete. If that were not the case, alot of athletes would have their peak performance years in their mid to late 30's as opposed to their twenties (See Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Jagr, Brett Hull, Roenick, Modano, and many other recent retirees.) And yes, I'll gladly drop it if you will.

Things are different nowadays. The training is better and the use of all sorts of enchacment (even steroids and stimulants) has increased. I also don't count players who have injuries. Everyone of those players mentioned are at least almost twenty years older than Ilari Filppula, whose body declining and potential was the original subject (after Zenon Konopka of course).

Things are different nowadays. The training is better and the use of all sorts of enchacment (even steroids and stimulants) has increased. I also don't count players who have injuries. Everyone of those players mentioned are at least almost twenty years older than Ilari Filppula, whose body declining and potential was the original subject (after Zenon Konopka of course).

A feeble attempt at defending a weak position. For someone who wanted to "just drop it", you're having real trouble letting this one go. Sometimes silence is golden.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Konopka is a little too pugilistic for my taste. I love fighting, don't get me wrong. But that type of player is limited here in Detroit.

Now, here's a signing that has me crying. Brad Staubitz signs with the Wild for 2 years at 1.15 mil total!!! That's like 580k a year!!!!! How do we not find any way to get a guy like this?

6-1, 215 pounds,110 pims, played a tad over 6 minutes per game. Brings energy and toughness.

Oh yeah, and this:

Big hit and then doesn't back down from one of the elite heavies

Has fought guys like Exelby, Prust, Boll, Rupp, etc...

Again I ask, how do we not find guys like this for that cheap?

could always trade to get Frazer McLaren from San Jose. Future top heavyweight and can play solid hockey as well. Basically traded Staubitz to make room for him next season so I can't imagine the Wings being able to get him but I can dream.

Guest Heaten

Glad Isle took him. He's not the type of player DRW need.

I'd rather a tough player who can play hockey, rather than a fighter who can't play hockey.

Guest Heaten

Konopka is a decent player. Who do you suggest the Wings pursue?

Nobody for forward. Holland should find a 6th/7th dman with the money. Maybe find a cheap Brad May for $500 to fill the 14th role if available.

I'm happy with Eaves, Ritola and Miller at this point.