• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Zenon Konopka

Rate this topic

I didn't know about his defensive game but if its good then I've heard enough. 62% on faceoffs and a solid defensive guy that hits and fights. Thats a classic 4th line guy right there.

if kenny is serious about signing a gritty guy that can play this would be the guy I think. Of course asham or winchester would also be nice but they may be out of price range. Konopka made the minimum last season so the wings may be able to get him for the minimum or maybe a bit more.

I'd rather just get Helm, Abby, and Eaves signed, keep Ritola and spend the rest on the best defenseman we can get. Ritola needs more than a seat in the press box if we're going to keep him. Give him a chance and if he doesn't pan out, then we can try to trade him for someone like this.

I would rather have Eaves over any of the other FAs in that price range. Miller, Konopka, Nystrom, Winchester, Pyatt, Artyhukin, and probably a few other I'm forgetting would be good backup options if we can't get Eaves.

Cam Janssen

Colton Orr

Eric Boulton

Derek Boogaard

George Parros

Wade Belak

David Koci

Raitis Ivanans

Brian McGrattan

Darcy Hordichuk

Andrew Peters

These guys aren't "useless" just cause they don't score goals.So the argument that "players who only fight and can't score or skate don't have a place in the NHL" is invalid because looking at the list above,they obviously do.

That he avoided a mistake there. It's not like Kenny doesn't make any mistakes. Just re-signed Bertuzzi and gave media comments about re-siging Maltby.

how was not signing orr avoiding a mistake?? we ended up with brad may. I love may and what he provided this team but orr is better and would take him over may any day.

And signed that finnish plug Filpulla with no potential at 28 years old. Yeah he does make mistakes :cool:

Orr is a good all around player. Just as good as a guy like Draper at this point in his career but is also probably the second toughest guy in the league. He's one of the best at his role.

How is signing a FEL playoff MVP for 500k two-way deal to GR which needs offense a mistake actually? Just because you don't like something about the player? Oh, I forgot... you know nothing about the player.

Then there must be very bad players in that role, because what I've seen from him aside fighting is making himself look like a jerk taking stupid penalties. I'd say "the best enforcer" should rather be the best player who is enforcer than a enforcer who's the best fighter. If Colton Orr really is the best player among enforcer, then I'm pretty shocked.

How is he the best "enforcer" exactly? Do you mean he's best because he's good at fighting or best because he's the best player of all the enforcers?

In order to be an effective enforcer, they have to actually play in most games and be on the ice. Orr has been able to do this for the past three years. I'd consider him the best because of how he policed for the Leafs this year. He was always there to respond when something happened or when the team needed a spark. He also seemed to be one of the more intimidating players in the NHL. Against Philly this year, he ran everyone in sight without retribution. IMO he was the best at playing the enforcing role while actually being a good enough player to deserve his ice-time.

How is signing a FEL playoff MVP for 500k two-way deal to GR which needs offense a mistake actually? Just because you don't like something about the player? Oh, I forgot... you know nothing about the player.

Then there must be very bad players in that role, because what I've seen from him aside fighting is making himself look like a jerk taking stupid penalties. I'd say "the best enforcer" should rather be the best player who is enforcer than a enforcer who's the best fighter. If Colton Orr really is the best player among enforcer, then I'm pretty shocked.

Yeah just because you don't like that Orr fights but doesn't score goals you don't like him. How many leafs/ rangers games did youw atch last year in Finland. I guarantee I've seen more.

And I do know something about iflip. He's 28 so his potential is gone, and we don't need a player like him.

I'd rather just get Helm, Abby, and Eaves signed, keep Ritola and spend the rest on the best defenseman we can get. Ritola needs more than a seat in the press box if we're going to keep him. Give him a chance and if he doesn't pan out, then we can try to trade him for someone like this.

I would rather have Eaves over any of the other FAs in that price range. Miller, Konopka, Nystrom, Winchester, Pyatt, Artyhukin, and probably a few other I'm forgetting would be good backup options if we can't get Eaves.

I would take Nystrom over Eaves but youre right Eaves over anyone else on that list for me. Nystrom has just as much goal scoring potential as Eaves with a tougher game.

Good videos.

I don't know much about him. I do have a serious question. If he were the type of guy the Wings could really use, why isn't he the type of guy Stevie Y wouldn't want to keep?

Good videos.

I don't know much about him. I do have a serious question. If he were the type of guy the Wings could really use, why isn't he the type of guy Stevie Y wouldn't want to keep?

Well Tampa Bay is one of the tougher teams in the league so he isn't needed as much as he would be in Detroit. Konopka is one of about 3 heavyweights on Tampa so it wouldn't be bad if Stevie lost him for their team. Konopka is a free agent too so he might wanna get out of a place like Tampa and win some hockey games. Also Konopka is from Niagra falls so besides Toronto and Buffalo, Detroit is the closest place to his hometown.

Edited by newfy

{names}

These guys aren't "useless" just cause they don't score goals.So the argument that "players who only fight and can't score or skate don't have a place in the NHL" is invalid because looking at the list above,they obviously do.

To be fair, there are also plenty of non-fighters in the league that don't really belong here.

To be fair, there are also plenty of non-fighters in the league that don't really belong here.

Yeah I would say the soft, skilled tpye guys that don't put up points in this league should be gone before enforcers are. Enforcers at least do something out there. Soft, skilled guys like Freddy Sjorstrom types that do nothing are the most useless of all hockey players. Yeah they can skate and fighter types are suually slower but they should be gone before the fighters are.

...I was expecting him to be czech/have a full-on accent or something, weird. Kinda like back in the day when we got Robert Lang and I thought he was totally north american...then I heard him speak.

Yeah just because you don't like that Orr fights but doesn't score goals you don't like him. How many leafs/ rangers games did youw atch last year in Finland. I guarantee I've seen more.

And I do know something about iflip. He's 28 so his potential is gone, and we don't need a player like him.

I've seen more Colton Orr's games than you've seen Ilari Filppula's games. I've also seen many Ilari Filppula's games.

We don't need players who don't have any potential left? OK. First of all, Red Wings have numerous examples of players who reach their peak as late 20's. Second of all, GR needs offense and this player provides it. It's two-way deal and he only gets 500k. You've got basically no VALID arguments for why we shouldn't need a player like him.

Yeah I would say the soft, skilled tpye guys that don't put up points in this league should be gone before enforcers are. Enforcers at least do something out there. Soft, skilled guys like Freddy Sjorstrom types that do nothing are the most useless of all hockey players. Yeah they can skate and fighter types are suually slower but they should be gone before the fighters are.

Sjöström is actually a great penalty killer. He and Betts were a great tandem in New York.

Cam Janssen

Colton Orr

Eric Boulton

Derek Boogaard

George Parros

Wade Belak

David Koci

Raitis Ivanans

Brian McGrattan

Darcy Hordichuk

Andrew Peters

If you have nothing else to offer than fighting you're basically "useless". Maybe we've dived too deep into the "useless" word. Hell, no one's totally useless. Even I could go there and just try to make myself useful by trying to confuse the opposite team from the bench with some Tiki-Talk. Maybe the right way to say it would be "not useful enough".

I'm not talking only about not being available to score or skate. There are also numerous other ways to make yourself useful without fighting on the ice - on every shift. If fighting is basically the only thing you can offer then you are BASICALLY useless. Not just worth the money in nowadays NHL. It would've been different ten or twenty years ago as I said.

Also, now you're saying that Colton Orr can't do anything else than fight? I'm confused here.

edit: Back to the topic though. I'd take Konopka if he can play PK and 10 mins a night.

Edited by Finnish Wing

He can't be! HE'S NOT FROM NORTH AMERICA!

You are hte most foolish poster on this board. Not everything comes down to what country youre from and not every single player from finland is god like you seem to think. Iflip is fine if he is in GR, which is where he belongs because he is a soft European that has no potential. Let him set up guys like Mursak and Tatar in GR and I'm fine with it but don't think because he was your great Finnish league MVP that he's gonna all of a sudden have potential and become a great NHLer in a few years. Who was the last finnish league MVP to play for Detroit? Yeah he sure did a lot.

I've never once said a European can't kill penalties retard, from what I've seen of Sjorstrom in Toronto he is a plug. Soft, skilled guys that don't put up points should not be what a team builds their 4th line out of. Players like that don't belong in the league. IFlip will be that type of player, Detroit doesn't need him so let him rot in the minors. I would rather have Mursak, or Tatar called up since Iflip is old and won't pan out to anything.

You are hte most foolish poster on this board. Not everything comes down to what country youre from

You are one to talk. :D

Sjostrom is a great penalty-killer and bottom 6 player. I really see no other reason for your comments except him not being from NA. You're the one who talks about Soft Europeans all the time, not me. "Soft skilled players like Sjostrom do nothing and are the most useless hockey players". That's what you said.

I'm the most follish poster? That's funny because I was just going to say the same thing about you. Seriously dude, do you even think a second before you post this stupid s***? Just line after line. Speaking about things you have no idea of. This one for example "Iflip is old and won't pan out to anything. " Pretty strong statement considering you have NEVER seen him play and you hadn't even heard about the guy few weeks ago.

You're the one who posts foolish s*** all the time and you're opinions are only based on what type of player we are talking about. Everything not NA and skilled is s*** and everything NA and tough is great. Seriously.

At least I try to base my statements on arguments, not just type some s*** without even knowing what I'm talking about.

Edited by Finnish Wing

You are one to talk. :D

Sjostrom is a great penalty-killer and bottom 6 player. I really see no other reason for your comments except him not being from NA. You're the one who talks about Soft Europeans all the time, not me. "Soft skilled players like Sjostrom do nothing and are the most useless hockey players". That's what you said.

I'm the most follish poster? That's funny because I was just going to say the same thing about you. Seriously dude, do you even think a second before you post this stupid s***? Just line after line. Speaking about things you have no idea of. This one for example "Iflip is old and won't pan out to anything. " Pretty strong statement considering you have NEVER seen him play and you hadn't even heard about the guy few weeks ago.

You're the one who posts foolish s*** all the time and you're opinions are only based on what type of player we are talking about. Everything not NA and skilled is s*** and everything NA and tough is great. Seriously.

At least I try to base my statements on arguments, not just type some s*** without even knowing what I'm talking about.

No everything skilled but doesn't produce is s***. A skilled guy that doesn't put up points provides nothing. Jason Williams is from near my hometown and I think he's useless, Ville leino is useless too.

It doesn't matter wheere theyre from, you think I would hate a European tough guy on the wings or something? No I wouldn't. I would take a guy like Valabik or something any day.

I'm not all about toughness, I'm all about balance and is what the wings need. Youre the one preaching about Finnish players all the time and how great and tough they are. I base all my arguments on facts. Who was the last player that came to the NHL at the age 29, with no north American experience, wasn't good enough to get drafted at his time and had a lot of good seasons worth getting excited about? By teh time Ifliip gets NHL adjusted his body will be on the decline. Theres a fact for you and you can't argue it because its true, by the age of about 32 players go downhill big time.

And for the record I said soft skilled players like Sjorstrom. Not soft skilled Europeans like Sjorstrom, he's just the first one that popped into my head because my best friend who is a leafs fan always always complains about him. Just like that Wallin plug TO signed. Guys like that don't belong in this game.

And yeah I talk about soft, Eauopeans a lot. Big deal, its fine if your continent has softer players then North America. Its kinda like someone who has a *** brother, they still accept them and like what they provide for the family but you would rather them be straight.

If you have nothing else to offer than fighting you're basically "useless". Maybe we've dived too deep into the "useless" word. Hell, no one's totally useless. Even I could go there and just try to make myself useful by trying to confuse the opposite team from the bench with some Tiki-Talk. Maybe the right way to say it would be "not useful enough".

I'm not talking only about not being available to score or skate. There are also numerous other ways to make yourself useful without fighting on the ice - on every shift. If fighting is basically the only thing you can offer then you are BASICALLY useless. Not just worth the money in nowadays NHL. It would've been different ten or twenty years ago as I said.

Also, now you're saying that Colton Orr can't do anything else than fight? I'm confused here.

edit: Back to the topic though. I'd take Konopka if he can play PK and 10 mins a night.

Look back at one of your previous posts and you say Colton Orr and Riley Cote are "pretty useless"

Konopka was an ahl captain iirc, but so was Ellis and we see how unuseful he is at an nhl level, he throws down alot but isn't really a great player. Still infinitely better than eager or cooke.

Edited by jollymania

Look back at one of your previous posts and you say Colton Orr and Riley Cote are "pretty useless"

I agree. It was just these your buddies who said that Colton Orr is the best enforcer in the league and can do this and that.

I base all my arguments on facts.

Who was the last player that came to the NHL at the age 29, with no north American experience, wasn't good enough to get drafted at his time and had a lot of good seasons worth getting excited about?

You made my day with that comment. :D

Who was the last? I'm not so sure. Goalie Nicklas Backstrom came here pretty late. Rafalski wasn't draftet either. Franzen was drafted but wasn't a top prospect. These are just some examples.

Also, there's also something between being "excited about" and calling something "not needed". I never said I was excited about him either. Actually, I didn't even comment about him in this topic until you brought him up with that hilarious "we don't need this guy" comment.

"I base all my arguments on facts." - newfy

:DDD I seriously have to quote that.

Edited by Finnish Wing