• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
moore00

2010/11 Goaltending Equipment Changes

Rate this topic

I've always wished that the league would mandate a couple more inches off the pads that goalies wear these days.

Although the recent success of teams with low-salary goalies has me wondering whether other teams will follow that trend and spend more on high-skill skaters and less on goalies. If the demand for high-end goalies drops, their salary will accordingly, and teams may end up with around 4M more to invest in their skating players (yet that's all based on whether this "trend" plays out). If this does happen, I think goal scoring would rise a bit more than where its at now.

I've always wished that the league would mandate a couple more inches off the pads that goalies wear these days.

Although the recent success of teams with low-salary goalies has me wondering whether other teams will follow that trend and spend more on high-skill skaters and less on goalies. If the demand for high-end goalies drops, their salary will accordingly, and teams may end up with around 4M more to invest in their skating players (yet that's all based on whether this "trend" plays out). If this does happen, I think goal scoring would rise a bit more than where its at now.

Kind of seems to be the way its heading.

I wish they would have slightly smaller leg pads and also smaller gloves. The size of the NHL goalie gloves these days is absurd.

Stupid. The guy from nightmare on helm street has it 100% correct-- thigh rises aren't controlled by these rulings, only the length of the pads are, which seems stupid since the actual rise covering the 5-hole is what is undesirable. As he points out-- there are insanely tall guys in the league (Pekka Rinne is 6'5) that will be able to have even more oversized pads now.

Hey, if the goalies want to wear big pads, fine. Let's just make the nets bigger to compensate for their pad increase.

I hope this is a joke...

They've needed to cut down on the width of trappers, blockers and leg pads for awhile...

Welcome to the Red Wing mantra over the past 20 years. Invest in skilled players, worry less about top tier goaltending, win cups.

Welcome to the Red Wing mantra over the past 20 years. Invest in skilled players, worry less about top tier goaltending, win cups.

Except after this year I wouldn't be surprised if it was everyone's mantra. I'm curious: out of all the Stanley Cup champions (or even finals appearances), what were all the salaries of the goalies? Does anyone have access to that information?

Hey, if the goalies want to wear big pads, fine. Let's just make the nets bigger to compensate for their pad increase.

exactly. that's one of the major factors of the goal scoring slip in the NHL over the past 10-15 years. the goalie's equipment keeps getting bigger and the nets stay the same size. adjust accordingly NHL, and not with those stupid half rounded nets that they were thinking of. look at the difference between a goalie from the 70's-80's and the late 90's-00's. the goalies are probably 100% bigger. so are the players though, so make the nets and the ice slightly bigger. separate the skilled goalies from the oversized cro-magnon's and the speedsters from the lugnuts.

take away helmets. Old time hockey!

like eddie shore...

puttin' on the foil coach!

bleed all over em', let em' know you're there!

:thumbup: