Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

Blackhawks playing Wings for banner raising game

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb - but who's who?

• Silver Booster
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

If they did plan it, then it's in Detroit's interest to do so, for them to re-remember what it felt like when our's was last hoisted.

#22 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I knew this would be the case from the moment Chicago won it all.

Hopefully Versus will show all of 32 seconds of the actual ceremony like they did with the Red Wings in 2008. I probably just won't turn it on until puck drop.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#23 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

They didn't beat us to get there. It's just another game as far as the Red Wings are concerned. Our job is to win, and hopefully we will. Let them raise their banner -- they earned it. If we win it this upcoming season, return the favor and have the Hawks come to town for that.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hawks didn't even play the Wings this playoffs, so how is this rubbing it in our face?

Playing Philly for the banner raising game would be rubbing it in a team's face.

#25 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

I'm looking forward to it. Remember what happened the last time we played them in a game that mattered to them?

nhl.com

Red Wings ends Blackhawks in season finale

CHICAGO -- Count the Blackhawks among those who think they will ultimately have to conquer their arch rival to bring the Stanley Cup back to Chicago.

It's no guarantee the Hawks and Detroit Red Wings will even meet in the Western Conference playoffs, but Sunday's regular-season finale between the two at the United Center did nothing to make the possibility seem any less probable.

Detroit ended Chicago's bid to be the conference's No. 1 seed with a 3-2 overtime victory that sent most of the 22,428 fans home grumpy and cost the Hawks the No. 1 spot in the Western Conference playoffs.

Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart took a well-placed pass by Dan Cleary and beat Antti Niemi 3:11 into overtime to win a tightly-contested game between two of the League's oldest, most bitter rivals.

"It was a little bit like a playoff atmosphere, but overall it was just a good win to end the season," said Stuart, who scored his fourth goal of the season. "I saw three Chicago players (go after) Cleary and he just made a great pass. I was left open. Once I got it, I kept thinking, ‘Just don't miss.'"

Niemi stopped 18 of 21 shots, while Detroit rookie Jimmy Howard stopped 27 of 29 on his way to winning first-star honors. He helped stave off a late power play with the game tied 2-2 in the third and made several stops from point-blank range against some of Chicago's top goal-scorers.

The No. 5 seeded Wings will now face No. 4 Phoenix in the first round, while No.2 Chicago – which finished with a team record 112 points -- will play Nashville. If the Hawks had won, they would have tied San Jose at 113 points and gotten the No. 1 spot on a tie-breaker. A bigger topic of debate, though, was a potential rematch between the Wings and Hawks in the later rounds.

Detroit ended Chicago's season in the conference finals a year ago, and many think it will come down to those two yet again.

"I'm sure it will happen," said Chicago forward Patrick Kane, who assisted on the Hawks' first goal by Dave Bolland. "That's the way you want it. You want to beat the best to be the best. They're a great team and they've got everyone healthy (now). They're definitely a force to be reckoned with until somebody beats 'em."

Doing that is proving to be something easier said than done since the Olympics. Detroit finished the season 16-3-2 in March and April combined, and is steamrolling into the playoffs. The star players who were hurt are back from their various injuries and Howard continues to impress in the net.

Howard couldn't do much about the Hawks' second goal, though. It bounced in off the skate of Hawks fourth-line center Colin Fraser to tie the game 2-2 with 9:16 left in the third. The goal was allowed after a review and brought the home fans back to life.

Hawks fans had gone quiet just a few minutes earlier after Tomas Holmstrom deflected a shot by Brian Rafalski past Niemi for a brief 2-1 Detroit lead. Fraser's goal was his fifth in the last four games and set up a dramatic end to regulation that saw the Wings kill off a late Chicago power play to force OT.

In the first period, Bolland got the scoring started 11 seconds into a late power play by jabbing at a loose puck in the crease. Detroit then tied it 1-1 just 5:01 into the second on a goal by Patrick Eaves, who flicked in his 12th goal of the season off a rebound of Cleary's shot from the right side.

Technically, there might have been more on the line for the Hawks in this game, but the Wings also played like it meant a lot to them.

"Once you get out there, you don't want to lose," Howard said. "We wanted this game. We wanted to go into the playoffs on a good note."

They also sent a message to the Hawks and other Western Conference teams who wish to be king. Detroit might've been down this season, but the Wings are not exactly road kill on the path to the Stanley Cup just yet.

"We can learn a lot from those guys," Fraser said of the Wings. "They have a lot of vets over there and they know what it takes to win."

Yes, I'm aware of how the playoffs turned out. Congrats to Chicago. (again) I can hardly wait for next season to start.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 22 June 2010 - 07:40 AM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#26 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Considering how our last banner-raising game went, this is a good thing. They'll be all over themselves about how great they were last year. Good time for the Wings to just step in and win.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Don't you guys think its a little biased to put the wings against the hawks on the hawks banner raising game. You know what they'll be chanting when that thing goes up into the rafters. I just hope the wings feed off of that and beat the living s*** out of those little brats. GOOOOO WINGS!!!

the wings play the hawks 8 times/year. that's 10.25% chance that the wings are going to be playing the hawks on the banner game. and if they play the hawks early in the year, there's an even better chance. i like it personally...just like carman said, it'll add fuel to their fire. listen to the interviews with wings players. it stings them when they don't win it cause they have a legitimate shot every year. lids don't like it when someone else has his cup!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hawks didn't even play the Wings this playoffs, so how is this rubbing it in our face?

Playing Philly for the banner raising game would be rubbing it in a team's face.

That is true, but to be fair, do you REALLY think wings would have anything to say against the hawks? I have some hope detroit will get better this season but last season and playoffs it was crystal clear which team was the best. Wings almost got sweeped by the sharks while the sharks got sweeped by the hawks, hawks last season was a much more complete team even though wings managed to win about half of the regular season games against them.

Edited by mindfly, 22 June 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

That is true, but to be fair, do you REALLY think wings would have anything to say against the hawks? I have some hope detroit will get better this season but last season and playoffs it was crystal clear which team was the best. Wings almost got sweeped by the sharks while the sharks got sweeped by the hawks, hawks last season was a much more complete team even though wings managed to win about half of the regular season games against them.

I wasn't implying somehow that the Wings would've beaten the Hawks or anything.

I simply meant that the teams never even played one another in the playoffs, so how is it rubbing the Cup win in Detroit's face any more than any other team?

Detroit wasn't the last Stanley Cup champion, they didn't meet the Hawks in the playoffs. Like I said, if it were San Jose or Philly, the could be seen as rubbing it in.

#30 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yes Wings please demolish these clowns for this game. If nothing else

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

I approve.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

They didn't beat us to get there. It's just another game as far as the Red Wings are concerned. Our job is to win, and hopefully we will. Let them raise their banner -- they earned it. If we win it this upcoming season, return the favor and have the Hawks come to town for that.

AMEN! Just another game, and remember Hawks "fans", that is for a Championship in a game called [hok-ee] not basketball. Sound it out...very good! Feel free to tune in around March.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

the wings play the hawks 8 times/year. that's 10.25% chance that the wings are going to be playing the hawks on the banner game. and if they play the hawks early in the year, there's an even better chance. i like it personally...just like carman said, it'll add fuel to their fire. listen to the interviews with wings players. it stings them when they don't win it cause they have a legitimate shot every year. lids don't like it when someone else has his cup!

This is a really good point, i think that its just the luck of the draw and we drew the banner game. Maybe this we be a season long thing of seeing that banner in your rivals stadium and get some inspiration from it to beat everyone this year.

#34 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'll be thinking about the Chicago players who won't be there. You know, the players who'll be playing for another team because they had to be dealt in an attempt to save money. And then, I'll laugh.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#35 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

I wasn't implying somehow that the Wings would've beaten the Hawks or anything.

I simply meant that the teams never even played one another in the playoffs, so how is it rubbing the Cup win in Detroit's face any more than any other team?

Detroit wasn't the last Stanley Cup champion, they didn't meet the Hawks in the playoffs. Like I said, if it were San Jose or Philly, the could be seen as rubbing it in.

Yeah my bad :blush:

#36 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Surprisingly I'm not nearly as annoyed by Chicago winning it as I was Pittsburgh. Granted, Pittsburgh beat Detroit, but I'm just indifferent to Chicago winning. Their team's going to look way different. Plus, it just seems like their fans are obsessed with the Red Wings more than they are worried about their own team's success. It feels like the big brother let his little brother win one so he won't cry.

#37 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'll be thinking about the Chicago players who won't be there. You know, the players who'll be playing for another team because they had to be dealt in an attempt to save money. And then, I'll laugh.

I don't get it. All teams have to do this. We did this past year. That's just how it works in a hard capped league.