• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Holland Looking to sign an Enforcer

Rate this topic

Well if you're looking for a 1st line center for your AHL team I think that's better fit than someone like Carcillo for example.

Didn't Carcillo draw the most penalties in the league last year? I seem to recall Laviolette saying something along those lines.

He could draw the penalties, and then our powerplay could enforce them :)

Boll HAD some offensive potential, he just never seemed to find it - he's pretty damn good at faceoffs and is a good, hard skater too, so I wouldn't have a problem with him, but he's in my 2nd tier of the "wish list" with Konopka

1st tier:

Asham, Nystrom, Winchester, Moreau(if bought out), Modin

2nd tier:

Konopka, Boll, Artukyin, Boulton

Modin? I didn't know this guy fights.

Boll HAD some offensive potential, he just never seemed to find it - he's pretty damn good at faceoffs and is a good, hard skater too, so I wouldn't have a problem with him, but he's in my 2nd tier of the "wish list" with Konopka

1st tier:

Asham, Nystrom, Winchester, Moreau(if bought out), Modin

2nd tier:

Konopka, Boll, Artukyin, Boulton

I agree that Boll is and should be in your second tier. Like your bolded word said, "had." The Wings are solid in the face-off circle even with the down season last year, and both Helm and Abby should improve in that regard. They're both hard skaters, but have far more potential to score than Boll does. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but aside from fighting I don't see what he could possibly bring to this team that they don't already have. I'd rather a guy like Asham be signed if were gonna go that route.

I agree that Boll is and should be in your second tier. Like your bolded word said, "had." The Wings are solid in the face-off circle even with the down season last year, and both Helm and Abby should improve in that regard. They're both hard skaters, but have far more potential to score than Boll does. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but aside from fighting I don't see what he could possibly bring to this team that they don't already have. I'd rather a guy like Asham be signed if were gonna go that route.

Agreed completely that Boll isn't really what we need, but he is a great skater and hitter as well and forechecks like crazy - good energy guy... once again, he's not on my first tier of wish list guys, I'm just saying I wouldn't hate the move if he came here...

He doesn't, but he does go into the corners to dig out loose pucks.

Problems with Modin is his age (35 soon to be 36), and tendency to get injured (has missed the majority of the past 3 seasons)...I personally would rather the $$$ spent on someone else.

Agreed... now that I think about it, he probably belongs on my 2nd tier below Konopka... just out of the FA's available, I like his game (when he's healthy)... I guess I should have been clearer that he wasn't any type of an enforcer, since that is what this thread is...

Up until a few short years ago he was coveted by a good number of teams for what he brought; big body, good hands, a very solid 2-way forward...With the injuries he's not where he was, but for the league minimum I wouldn't mind him getting a chance on the Red Wings.

that's exactly my thought - there are others I would prefer ahead of him, but at a dirt cheap deal, it's a good gamble...

The 1997 team was by far the toughest.

You had Shanny, Mac, Kocur, Lapointe had great upper body strength. Plus you had Vladdy who, even though he didn't fight all that much, was the kind of player that teams absolutely hated to play against.

I think a lot of us are begging for a team like that again.

Every team in the league would take a team like the 97 Wings, however with a Salary cap that is damn near impossible, guys that play like Vladdy or Shanny in their primes would cost a fortune so you can not afford Fetisov, Kozlov, Fedorov, Yzerman etc... all under the same cap. Unless they all take massive hometown discounts.

Every team in the league would take a team like the 97 Wings, however with a Salary cap that is damn near impossible, guys that play like Vladdy or Shanny in their primes would cost a fortune so you can not afford Fetisov, Kozlov, Fedorov, Yzerman etc... all under the same cap. Unless they all take massive hometown discounts.

exactly... that was arguably one of the best teams assembled in NHL history, but in a cap world, that's simply not possible...

The thing with Boll is that he can fight anyone in the league as well as hit just as hard or harder then Abby. Thats what he brings to the team that other people don't. A guy like Asham doesn't really bring anything that this team doesn't have already either.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Asham but he'll be more expenisive and won't be as tough on the forecheck or as tough of a fighter. He's more of a third line guy, Boll would be a really good 4th line guy since he can skate, hits and will fight anything.

Agreed completely that Boll isn't really what we need, but he is a great skater and hitter as well and forechecks like crazy - good energy guy... once again, he's not on my first tier of wish list guys, I'm just saying I wouldn't hate the move if he came here...

IMO this is exactly what we need. Boll has averaged ~10 points in each of the past three years (~72 games each season) playing with people less talented than Helm and Eaves. Boll can skate well (better than most enforcers), hit, and play responsible defense. With our forth line, he would easily pick up 15+ points. We'd all like someone that can score 20+ points a year and get in 15+ fights, but this player doesn't exist- at least for less than 1 million. Boll also stepped up to Boogaard this year (starting the fight), which speaks a lot to his toughness.

Arron Asham will likely get a raise above what the Wings could afford. He played on Philly's third line and tied his second best year since joining the NHL. As much as I would like it, I doubt he would come here to play forth line minutes for ~750k.

IMO this is exactly what we need. Boll has averaged ~10 points in each of the past three years (~72 games each season) playing with people less talented than Helm and Eaves. Boll can skate well (better than most enforcers), hit, and play responsible defense. With our forth line, he would easily pick up 15+ points. We'd all like someone that can score 20+ points a year and get in 15+ fights, but this player doesn't exist- at least for less than 1 million. Boll also stepped up to Boogaard this year (starting the fight), which speaks a lot to his toughness.

Arron Asham will likely get a raise above what the Wings could afford. He played on Philly's third line and tied his second best year since joining the NHL. As much as I would like it, I doubt he would come here to play forth line minutes for ~750k.

I wouldn't mind seeing the wings swap Millers rights to the jackets for the rights to boll. Or I would do something like Meech and the 5th round pick from Philly for Boll. Heck the jackets might just take the 5th rounder for Boll.

I wonder who's on the outs then? One or two of Miller, Ritola, Eaves, Abdelakder and/or Helm will have to go. I don't see the team cutting ties with Abdelkader or Helm; they're too high on homegrown talent right now, I think.

Ideally I'd still like to see Winchester or Artyukhin.

I wonder who's on the outs then? One or two of Miller, Ritola, Eaves, Abdelakder and/or Helm will have to go. I don't see the team cutting ties with Abdelkader or Helm; they're too high on homegrown talent right now, I think.

Ideally I'd still like to see Winchester or Artyukhin.

I would hope miller is first and foremost. Then Ritola. I seem to remember an interview where Babcock wasn't overly impressed with Ritola or something last season. I could be wrong though.

I would hope miller is first and foremost. Then Ritola. I seem to remember an interview where Babcock wasn't overly impressed with Ritola or something last season. I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Ritola didn't progress much in his 3 years as a Griffin. He went 22 points in his rookie year then back-to-back 42 point years. He got a little more physical in the time span, but I don't think it was enough. I think he'll have to blow them away at training camp to be safe.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Ritola didn't progress much in his 3 years as a Griffin. He went 22 points in his rookie year then back-to-back 42 point years. He got a little more physical in the time span, but I don't think it was enough. I think he'll have to blow them away at training camp to be safe.

I don't think theyll just throw him away this offseason without seeing what he can really do. He isn't scared to be physical but its not like hes a big hitter or anything he just doesn't get scared to go in corners or engage down low basically. 42 points isn't really much in the AHL after 3 years.

I cam see Kenny packaging Ritola in a multi-player deal that will land us some grit.

I could see him trading him for a draft pick or swappig prospects with someone. There isn't really a need tot rade for grit when we could easily get it this year in free agency.

I could see him trading him for a draft pick or swappig prospects with someone. There isn't really a need tot rade for grit when we could easily get it this year in free agency.

And the more I look at everything, the better Brad Winchester looks. He's one year removed from netting 21 points in 64 games. He has anywhere from 7-10 fights, which I think is still solid too. There really is no point in trading for an enforcer; plenty of options on the market.

And the more I look at everything, the better Brad Winchester looks. He's one year removed from netting 21 points in 64 games. He has anywhere from 7-10 fights, which I think is still solid too. There really is no point in trading for an enforcer; plenty of options on the market.

Winchester is on the outs from the Blues too I read. He's a pretty good possibility. Does Holland want a guy like him though or does he want a Brad May/ Downey type player that won't take away from other guys ice time and will fight absolutely anyone.

At LGW we keep throwing around guys like Asham Nystrom and Winchester but maybe Holland just wants a cheaper Konopka type guy