• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Holland Looking to sign an Enforcer

Rate this topic

I think Holland will go with another Downey/May type. Unless the Wings lose more of the their bottom-six then expected, there's no room for any enforcer that will be getting regular playing time.

I think you may be right...but who? There really isn't all that many aging veteran enforcers/grinders to go out and sign.

I'm really high on Krys Barch who fits that mold perfectly. He is actually pretty aged for only having a few NHL seasons under his belt but he will go out and do anything for the team and should be able to give at least 6 minutes to Babcock on any given night. Not a bad player at all...

but I'd rather he didn't sign with the Wings if they are going to misuse him as they did with Downey. I don't exactly know what it is but Babcock doesn't really seem to utilize his enforcers. He gives them the breathing room they need and I'm not trying to give him s*** but he sits them in games that being more physical could squeeze out a victory. Like we seen how Downey can effect the team/fans in those 3 or so games he played with the Wings in 08-09. He was voted player of the game in I think every game he played in. He made huge checks and got the crowd going absoloutly nuts in that game against Dallas at home and then had that huge long fight with Cam Janssen in St. Louis. The team was a different team on those nights and whether they won or lost doesn't matter sometimes during the regular season. Moral victories go a long way and I think Downey helped them with that.

I really feel that Downey had a whole lot more to give to the Wings then what they allowed him to give and I'd hate to see Krys Barch's career take the turn that Downey's did. If Barch goes from being a full-time NHLer with the Stars and could find that same type of roll somewhere else...I want him to do it because I know the Wings will send him down to the minors half-way through the season just because they want to give another guy a look and he will be lost in the process.

If the Wings are really looking for a grinder/enforcer they need to draft one. Callahan is looking really good and actually might be a NHL quality player. Get a guy on his last limb(Asham) coach around him get the players to recognize his roll a little bit more and have him become actually part of the team the way Drake was. Then as soon as that guy retires you have Callahan who should be ready.

That is what I want from the Wings but really when it comes to tough guys or grinders you really can't trust what the Wings say. One minute they want a guy to "keep the flys off" the next they "don't really need a 1 dimensional enforcer at this point" I'd rather them not f*** another career over like they did Norton, LaCouture & Downey's because they can't make up there mind.

Edited by chrisyo

Guest Shoreline

:rolleyes:

Have you learnt how to make a sig that's within the rules yet?

Sounds like someone needs an enforcer to help them figure out what's so special about the sig.

(I'm sure that strange post of yours had a lot to do with the rules itself surrounding trolling or off-topic posting ;) )

Edited by Shoreline

Anyone have any thoughts on Evgeny Artyukin? Prior to his departure to the KHL he was showing some serious potential with the Lightning. He definitely would provide the grit and enforcer attributes that Holland is looking for. He is a UFA with the Thrashers this year and he was making $1mm last year.

wings maybe interested in boogaard?????

• If Wild enforcer Derek Boogaard leaves as a free agent, the Detroit Red Wings may be interested. Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he wants to sign an enforcer, and star Pavel Datsyuk said he'd like it to be Boogaard. Boogaard will train with Datsyuk for a second consecutive summer in Russia. Boogaard is currently training in Santa Monica by boxing.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/97207774.html?page=2&c=y

wings maybe interested in boogaard?????

• If Wild enforcer Derek Boogaard leaves as a free agent, the Detroit Red Wings may be interested. Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he wants to sign an enforcer, and star Pavel Datsyuk said he'd like it to be Boogaard. Boogaard will train with Datsyuk for a second consecutive summer in Russia. Boogaard is currently training in Santa Monica by boxing.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/97207774.html?page=2&c=y

Oh dear god no. I would love to have an enforcer. But given that these are NHL players, I think they should be able to skate faster than Pierre McGuire. Boogaard does not fit that criteria.

Edited by Zetts

It's OK, Pavel is training him to be a supreme dangling superstar :cool:

Seriously though, there is noone better to do the actual job of enforcing then Boogaard. Playing hockey...well...we'll leave that to Pavel's camp :hehe:

It's OK, Pavel is training him to be a supreme dangling superstar :cool:

Seriously though, there is noone better to do the actual job of enforcing then Boogaard. Playing hockey...well...we'll leave that to Pavel's camp :hehe:

What is exactly the job of enforcing? You mean how good he fights or what? I wouldn't say the best enforcer is always the one who wins the fight. You need to know when to fight, know when to not take stupid penalties etc. I mean, isn't enforcer's job to kinda "confuse" the other team and wake up your team? That doesn't necessary mean winning the fight.

I'm not saying Boogaard isn't the best enforcer, but I think the best enforcers need to make smart decisions as well, not just weight a lot and punch hard.

What is exactly the job of enforcing?

I think the reason these debates go on for pages and pages with no progress is that people have 10 different answers to this question in their minds. I can say that personally when I say I want the Wings to have an enforcer, maybe "policeman" would be a better term, kind of like what Brad May provided part of this last year. It works like this: no stupid penalties, no running the other teams stars any more than just playing a solid checking shift. Just play a solid fourth-line role; that is until someone takes a swipe at one of our players. In one of those games against Pit, Matt Cooke decides to be Matt Cooke and throws a cheap crosscheck at the back of Zett's head when he's not looking. Or some bright spark decides to play the helmet-twisting game on Datsyuk again in the corner. Next shift, Boogaard (I'll just use him as an example) goes out and runs over Cooke, and let's him know quite vocally that he's a useless pile of stool. No running Crosby in retaliation, I don't think that kind of thing is necessary. Just sending a message to the douches that douchery will not be tolerated.

Maybe I'm way off base from what others are asking for, but that's really what I'd like to see for the Wings.

Yeah can we please define once and for all the definition of enforcer, good, whatever that thing is called today?

EDIT: Haha, and maybe one day on urban dictionary or something, "An enforcer, according to letsgowings.com, is..."

Edited by titanium2

So what is everyones take on Boogard? With him training with Pav and all I'm sure hes being considered by Holland for the right price. I wasn't really sure if I wanted a guy like him but I was watching some videos and he really seems to be a better player then given credit for. He hits more then he fights, theres a great video of him running over Brashear. If he can do that to other teams toughguys what must that make the rest of the other team think?

He'll fight anyone and win against all of them and is one of the few actually intimidating guys left in the league. He's a better skater then May or Downey and with his size (6'6?) thats something to write home about and he can keep a cycle going after he runs over the other teams defenseman.

So what is everyones take on Boogard? With him training with Pav and all I'm sure hes being considered by Holland for the right price. I wasn't really sure if I wanted a guy like him but I was watching some videos and he really seems to be a better player then given credit for. He hits more then he fights, theres a great video of him running over Brashear. If he can do that to other teams toughguys what must that make the rest of the other team think?

He'll fight anyone and win against all of them and is one of the few actually intimidating guys left in the league. He's a better skater then May or Downey and with his size (6'6?) thats something to write home about and he can keep a cycle going after he runs over the other teams defenseman.

Babcock had this one quote for Bertuzzi:

“No. 1 priority, don’t worry about scoring goals. Forecheck, be physical, and when you get the puck, take it to the net and if you get a chance, shoot it. Look after all your defensive responsibilities, take care of the puck, and everything will work out just fine. If you start worrying about scoring goals, that’s not going to happen. So just play."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/rejuvenated_tomas_holmstrom_he.html

Can Boogie provide 5-6 minutes or whatever of that kind of play? You hope so but can he really?

good god I am grinning from ear to ear of the thought of big # 24 even being considered. I'm just trying to imagine it now lol

Boogey actually is a pretty damn good skater for a big man and could probably play a solid 6-8 mins a night. Wouldn't mind having him at all if we go the enforcer route. Add that gritty 6th d man to the mix and the wings just got a whole lot tougher IMO.

who's going try to pull any crap against our stars with the boogie monster lurking " cough, perry and getzlaf, cough"

Babcock had this one quote for Bertuzzi:

“No. 1 priority, don’t worry about scoring goals. Forecheck, be physical, and when you get the puck, take it to the net and if you get a chance, shoot it. Look after all your defensive responsibilities, take care of the puck, and everything will work out just fine. If you start worrying about scoring goals, that’s not going to happen. So just play."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/rejuvenated_tomas_holmstrom_he.html

Can Boogie provide 5-6 minutes or whatever of that kind of play? You hope so but can he really?

I sure don't think he can. To call him a marginal hockey player is giving him the benefit of the doubt. He was a -12 last season playing 6 minutes a game in 57 games.

At his best he's reckless, at his worst he's dirty. Sure he's a giant who can beat the snot of the people, but he can't really play hockey. I'm all for getting someone who can fight, but this is overshooting the mark.

good god I am grinning from ear to ear of the thought of big # 24 even being considered. I'm just trying to imagine it now lol

Boogey actually is a pretty damn good skater for a big man and could probably play a solid 6-8 mins a night. Wouldn't mind having him at all if we go the enforcer route. Add that gritty 6th d man to the mix and the wings just got a whole lot tougher IMO.

who's going try to pull any crap against our stars with the boogie monster lurking " cough, perry and getzlaf, cough"

Perry would never fight Boogaard. Neither would 90% of the league. Maybe Getzlaf would, but it would be a stupid move on his part. Getting Getzlaf off the ice for 5 minutes and Boogaard off the ice too is a win win.

This knee on knee makes Laraque's look subtle.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

What is exactly the job of enforcing? You mean how good he fights or what? I wouldn't say the best enforcer is always the one who wins the fight. You need to know when to fight, know when to not take stupid penalties etc. I mean, isn't enforcer's job to kinda "confuse" the other team and wake up your team? That doesn't necessary mean winning the fight.

I'm not saying Boogaard isn't the best enforcer, but I think the best enforcers need to make smart decisions as well, not just weight a lot and punch hard.

Have you decided on who you think is the best enforcer? It seems like you aren't too excited about any of the names mentioned. IMO Orr is the best enforcer and Boll is the best choice for the Wings because of his skill/affordability/skating/willingness.

I'm not sure Boogy can play well enough for the Wings' system (especially with Helm and Eaves), but I haven't seen him play enough to make an educated judgment.

Have you decided on who you think is the best enforcer? It seems like you aren't too excited about any of the names mentioned. IMO Orr is the best enforcer and Boll is the best choice for the Wings because of his skill/affordability/skating/willingness.

I'm not sure Boogy can play well enough for the Wings' system (especially with Helm and Eaves), but I haven't seen him play enough to make an educated judgment.

I want a guy who can fight, kill penalties, play physical, not take stupid penalties, fit our system (be fast enough etc.) and play 10mins a night.

With Boogaard I'm concerned about the PK part, the 10min part, the system part and the stupid penalties part.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I want a guy who can fight, kill penalties, play physical, not take stupid penalties, fit our system (be fast enough etc.) and play 10mins a night.

With Boogaard I'm concerned about the PK part, the 10min part, the system part and the stupid penalties part.

What players can do all of these things and come cheaply? Laperrière is the one that comes to my mind, but he is aging and gets paid well (>1m).

What players can do all of these things and come cheaply? Laperrière is the one that comes to my mind, but he is aging and gets paid well (>1m).

Agreed. As long as this is Holland's lowest priority and he's content to pick up guys off the scrap heap in the off season, they are not going to be able to do all those things.

Well, I'm not saying you can get someone who does all this under 1m. But Boogaard can't do even half of those things. I wouldn't mind* paying a little over 1m if the guy can really do all this and be effective in a way.

*edit: spelling

Edited by Finnish Wing

Well, I'm not saying you can get someone who does all this under 1m. But Boogaard can't do even half of those things. I wouldn't paying a little over 1m if the guy can really do all this and be effective in a way.

But he can create energy, is probably the biggest hitter in the league and the most feared heavyweight. Which is what you want in a 4th line player. He's not the worst hockey player either. He's a better skater than Downey was and Downey managed to spend a full season with us.