• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

He did! He said himself he was pushing for Holland to sign May for years! :scared:

And again, he is! His Anahiem teams were always tough, he's always openly praised his tough guys and enforcers in general...I dont know what else to say...

My image of Babcock is that he's one of the best coaches in the World and one of the few coaches in the NHL whose team play modern hockey. Modern hockey involves puck posession and puck control. Of course you can do that with players who have less skill as well, but it's easier to do with skilled players. Usually more tougher players are less skilled if you want them to be cap-friendly.

Maybe I'm wrong. Because I've seen changes in the way we play after McLellan left. Sharks play the puck posession style now, and I feel we don't play it the same way we did few years ago. We don't control the game like we used to. Everyone talked about how we lost Hossa etc. but I was pretty concerned at losing McLellan.

We'll see how next year goes, but Babcock is still considered one of the best coaches tactically right now. After McLellan left I began to think that McLellan was actually more involved tactically while Babcock was handled more of the mental coaching.

And in today's hockey you get nowhere by just shouting to the players. You have to know about the tactical elements as well. Different breakout rhythms etc. Like I said I still think Babcock can make this team play like they did few years ago controlling the game, at least I hope so. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yes I agree.. Maltby, Ilary, last season add Willy, maybe Miller they are plugs of the wrong kind. I'm not for getting a bonafide goon that can't do anything but fight but some money needs to be spent on what our grind line needs... players that will grind, hit and fight on occasion. At this point I would be happy if our 4th line had players that will finish their checks with some authority and play some decent offense.

What has this have to do with our NHL team's cap?

Edited by Finnish Wing, 22 June 2010 - 09:20 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#22 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yes I agree.. Maltby, Ilary, last season add Willy, maybe Miller they are plugs of the wrong kind. I'm not for getting a bonafide goon that can't do anything but fight but some money needs to be spent on what our grind line needs... players that will grind, hit and fight on occasion. At this point I would be happy if our 4th line had players that will finish their checks with some authority and play some decent offense.

I think everyone is reading WAY too far into a lot of this... most of the reports Holland "leaks" are lip service... I don't think there's any intention of bringing Maltby back, I think he's just saying that out of respect for what Maltby did for us and maybe helping him up his stock to latch on somewhere else...

As for Miller, he is an RFA and all he did was qualify him, that's just good GM work, if we can sign him for another 550k or so, he's a great filler and if we run out of roster spots, waive him and send him to GR, if he doesn't clear, well... it's no worse than had we never signed him in the first place, is it?

Next, Illari is waiver eligible and will likely be in GR all year, but if he impresses, could fill a nice filler role for call-ups and if we catch lightning in a bottle, then it's a GREAT signing - for the millionth time - ZERO risk, high reward potential - another GREAT GM move

And adding a guy who isn't afraid to drop them and muck it up, does not mean "goon" in today's NHL - Guys like Asham, Konopka, Artukyin, etc... are still bottom liners, but they can still skate and even occasionally score 10 a year... fillers with bite is really what they are, and THAT'S what you need in a cap world, fillers that fill a role and one of those roles, is to "keep the flies off"

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#23 Mickey Redmond

Mickey Redmond

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Is that because players would be scared of Abbys fearsome might? :rolleyes:

certainly not but in the sense that he's a good young energy guy and dropping the gloves to stand up for his teammates once in a while isn't really out of his comfort zone.

#24 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

What has this have to do with our NHL team's cap?

None of the above mentioned are factors affecting the cap of the current roster at the moment but it makes me wonder what he is looking at in terms of filling what we need right now and moreso when looking at the names in the list.

#25 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

None of the above mentioned are factors affecting the cap of the current roster at the moment but it makes me wonder what he is looking at in terms of filling what we need right now and moreso when looking at the names in the list.

Well if you're looking for a 1st line center for your AHL team I think that's better fit than someone like Carcillo for example.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 22 June 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#26 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. Holland is looking for some mythical creature for the 4th line who will score, hit, fight and do it all for $500k and either be European or over 35 years old.

#27 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. Holland is looking for some mythical creature for the 4th line who will score, hit, fight and do it all for $500k and either be European or over 35 years old.

so pessimistic... they drafted Mitchell Callahan last year (and signed him this year) and have Lashoff coming into the system on D from 2 years ago... he's obviously been drafting to get tougher and the signings of Downey, then May, prove that he WILL fill the need when it makes sense... bulldozers that can score like Lucic don't just fall in every teams lap and it's even harder when you're drafting late every year...

have some faith...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#28 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

I think you bolded the wrong part of his quote. He mentioned ideally he would like to grab an enforcer, but he also alluded to the slim pickings on the market, especially for the particular molding Holland would be looking for.

If he's looking for an Aaron Downey or Brad May type, then the market is anything BUT slim pickings.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#29 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Take your pick Kenny:

Jared Boll (Yet to be re-signed by Columbus)
Brad Winchester
Zenon Konopka
Tanner Glass
Raitis Ivanans
Eric Boulton
Brandon Prust (RFA)
Tim Jackman
Krys Barch
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#30 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Well if you're looking for a 1st line center for your AHL team I think that's better fit than someone like Carcillo for example.

The other thought I have is that recently there have been alot of "potential" top rate european players brought into our farm system only to leave for home when they hit some bumps on the road in NA. Maybe its time to find a few local diamonds in the rough?

#31 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

so pessimistic... they drafted Mitchell Callahan last year (and signed him this year) and have Lashoff coming into the system on D from 2 years ago... he's obviously been drafting to get tougher and the signings of Downey, then May, prove that he WILL fill the need when it makes sense... bulldozers that can score like Lucic don't just fall in every teams lap and it's even harder when you're drafting late every year...

have some faith...

I call it like I see it...there are at least 10 guys out there right now who could easily fill this role at a salary the Wings can afford. If Holland can't see them, then he's choosing not to.

#32 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

I felt like that article was more of a downer to those who desperately want some classic toughness on the team.

I mean, "If we can't fit it in, we would go without it."

Not something I imagine the pro-enforcer crowd likes to hear.

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

I call it like I see it...there are at least 10 guys out there right now who could easily fill this role at a salary the Wings can afford. If Holland can't see them, then he's choosing not to.

I agree - but until we ice a team on October 8th that does not include one of those guys, give it a chance... I, for one, am convinced one of these guys WILL be signed.

I felt like that article was more of a downer to those who desperately want some classic toughness on the team.

I mean, "If we can't fit it in, we would go without it."

Not something I imagine the pro-enforcer crowd likes to hear.

just playing his cards close to his vest... if he says "we need one at all cost" - it drives prices up and makes negotiations harder...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#34 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

Drake-type of player to a multi-year deal. Someone that's in your face and goes to the corners, is tough and will also drop 'em, but can also play the game and chip in offensively from time to time. That's the type of guy this team could use!

Jared Boll or Arron Asham please and thank you. As it has been said a

Boll-Apple Fritter-Patty Sunshine line would be a lovely 4th if I do say so myself.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

The other thought I have is that recently there have been alot of "potential" top rate european players brought into our farm system only to leave for home when they hit some bumps on the road in NA. Maybe its time to find a few local diamonds in the rough?

It's the way of the AHL. Not every player continues in the organization, but what do we lose when it's FA signing? Not every player in the minors can be prospects. There are always some older guys who may only play a year or two but still help the team and possibly replace injuries for the NHL team when needed.

I see nothing bad with these kind of signings.

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

just playing his cards close to his vest... if he says "we need one at all cost" - it drives prices up and makes negotiations harder...

True but the pro enforcer people on here know all too well the way Kenny appreciates or perhaps unappreciates the value of enforcers and true toughness and whatnot.

#37 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

True but the pro enforcer people on here know all too well the way Kenny appreciates or perhaps unappreciates the value of enforcers and true toughness and whatnot.

Not sure why... they have been on just about all Cup winning teams we have had.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#38 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

another holland quote :

“Ideally, yeah, we’d love to go out and get an enforcer,” general manager Ken Holland said Monday. “But I can’t make one up. We don’t have one in our organization right now, so I have one of two choices. Either I trade for one or I get one through free agency.”

C'mon kenny there are lots of guys out there that can fit the enforcer bill. Konopka is still my first choice because he can play every game and will come at the minimum.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#39 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

That's where the debate gets sketchy... I will argue until I'm blue in the face that a PURE enforcer is useless in today's game - but a role player that can protect his teammates AND is a mid-heavyweight, or straight heavyweight, which can still be defensively responsible, forecheck AND give you 8-10 SOLID, mistake free minutes a night, that doesn't take bad penalties is invaluable and is BADLY needed by EVERY team...

most of the mentioned players in other threads fill this need, however, a Boogard type player in today's league, doesn't serve much purpose and basically wastes a roster spot...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#40 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

That's where the debate gets sketchy... I will argue until I'm blue in the face that a PURE enforcer is useless in today's game - but a role player that can protect his teammates AND is a mid-heavyweight, or straight heavyweight, which can still be defensively responsible, forecheck AND give you 8-10 SOLID, mistake free minutes a night, that doesn't take bad penalties is invaluable and is BADLY needed by EVERY team...

most of the mentioned players in other threads fill this need, however, a Boogard type player in today's league, doesn't serve much purpose and basically wastes a roster spot...

IMHO the Wings could use 2, or 3 of theose guys; 1, or 2 of them on the forward lines, and 1 on D.

'Evolution' created by Offsides