Sign in to follow this  
nosyt612

Sakic vs Yzerman Debate

Rate this topic

How did sakic have better numbers?

Yzerman 692G 1063A 1755P

Sakic 625G 1016A 1641P

Yzerman has more stanley cups as well.

I'm suprised its in Sakic's favor. But its not that huge a difference between the players, they are both class acts and 2 of the best ever.

Sakic had better numbers, and leadership ability was close albeit not as much as Yzerman. It's a very close debate but I think Yzerman's injuries hurt him in comparison.

only .03 ppg more than yzerman over his career.

#6 all-time: yzerman - 1514 games, 1755 points - 1.16 ppg

#8 all-time: sakic - 1378 games, 1641 points - 1.19 ppg

yzerman's last couple years took his ppg down for his career which put him lower than sakic. if sakic played 2 more seasons at his age, he would most likely not catch yzerman in the all-time scoring leaders.

playoff points, sakic has 188, yzerman 185. not sure on the total games, but yzerman has 3 cups to sakic's 2...

i personally hate this argument, cause i always saw sakic and yzerman as pretty much the same player just different handed. both humble guys that led by example and knew how to win and win fair. yzerman was my favorite player my whole life until he retired so i'm trying to be as unbiased as i can, but regardless, i call it a draw.

Seems like everyone there just based their answer off of who had more points. Everyone knows Yzerman took a step back in his point production in order to become a solid player defensively, I cannot say the same for Sakic. I also think those results might be skewed simply based on the fact that other than Wings fans, most other NHL fans seem to dislike the Wings for one reason or another, while the Aves never really received the universal jealousy/hatred.

Sakic is great, so is Yzerman, and their strengths and skill sets are completely different. Its true I'm biased as well, but I'd choose Yzerman all day long.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

hmmmm. Did Sakic ever take the puck of Gretzky's stick, skate it up the ice, fire a slap shot from the blue line, bar down in 2OT of a Game 7???? no? Okay I'll go with Stevie Y.

Seriously though basically every stat favors Yzerman. I'll go with him.

I think some of it might be the hate for the Red Wings in general.

Really?

I have Yzerman as having the better career, but only by the slightest of margins. I can see why others may take Sakic:

- Better career ppg (without a signifcant different in totals as well)

- More playoff points and much better playoff ppg

- Hart trophy

- +/- award

I have always considered these players to be very, very comparable, almost strange how comparable they are.

I have always considered these players to be very, very comparable, almost strange how comparable they are.

Well, like I said, some of it. And on an internet forum you always have to expect a decent degree of irrationality.

But, yeah, haha, what if Yzerman and Sakic turn out to be the same person or something like that? Like that one Family Guy episode where Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore are actually Fred Savage in disguise getting everybody all riled up. That's real power right there, haha.

The Red Wings hate on HF Boards is absurd, that could be part of it.

I'm not exactly sure about this but when it comes to Red Wings versus Avs I think most hockey fans believe the Red Wings started the rivalry. Even though we see the image of Claude Lemieux/Draper more than anything I think a lot of hockey fans feel like Slava Kozlov started the whole thing.

hmmmm. Did Sakic ever take the puck of Gretzky's stick, skate it up the ice, fire a slap shot from the blue line, bar down in 2OT of a Game 7???? no? Okay I'll go with Stevie Y.

Come back Gary Thorne... Chills folks

Edited by HankthaTank

Sakic is/was great, but he's not Yzerman.

Part of what has to be remembered is that Sakic was playing the majority of his career on a powerhouse team with skilled linemates. He would only finish short of a point per game four times from the Lindros trade on; three being injury-riddled seasons, and one being a year where he still finished sixth in scoring with 79 in 82 games.

Sakic played his career with much better linemates than Yzerman, and also had a much better team for much of the time. Yzerman's prime was spent dragging a collection of the league's worst players towards division titles. Sakic had, over his prime, players like Sundin, Kamensky, Duchesne, Ricci, Forsberg, Nolan, Ozolinsh, Deadmarsh, and Blake, which is a much better crew than what Yzerman had. Yzerman spent the years after his prime still playing very well, focusing more on defense than he had and being recognized for his efforts, in part because the Wings had been having more success due to strong drafting and very good leadership.

When the 2 played on team canada together Yzerman got the 19 Sakic went to 91, the man who keeps his # wins the better player award.

Seriously though, Id call it a tie but I'll say this Yzerman seems more "Hero ish" to me

Sakic is/was great, but he's not Yzerman.

Part of what has to be remembered is that Sakic was playing the majority of his career on a powerhouse team with skilled linemates. He would only finish short of a point per game four times from the Lindros trade on; three being injury-riddled seasons, and one being a year where he still finished sixth in scoring with 79 in 82 games.

Sakic played his career with much better linemates than Yzerman, and also had a much better team for much of the time. Yzerman's prime was spent dragging a collection of the league's worst players towards division titles. Sakic had, over his prime, players like Sundin, Kamensky, Duchesne, Ricci, Forsberg, Nolan, Ozolinsh, Deadmarsh, and Blake, which is a much better crew than what Yzerman had. Yzerman spent the years after his prime still playing very well, focusing more on defense than he had and being recognized for his efforts, in part because the Wings had been having more success due to strong drafting and very good leadership.

In fairness, Quebec was terrible in Sakic's early years. And even in Yzerman's early years he had guys like Ogrodnick, Gallant, Klima, Carson, Oates, etc. Both had the benefit of playing on some very good teams. Yzerman also played a few more years in the higher-scoring 80s. Both were excellent two-way players.

I'd give Yzerman a slight edge for still managing to contribute (and at times look simply great) despite his body going to s*** on him later in his career. But that could be just because I'm a Wings fan. I have nothing but respect and a deep hatred for Sakic. Obviously, any team would be blessed to have either of them.

Its almost blasphemous for me on a personal level to debate this, because both were such monumental characters for their teams and the league, in skill and class. Every time I was asked this in the past I would note that its of no importance who is better when each of them have done so much.

When I set aside my bias it's incredibly close and I flip-flop a lot.

I currently believe Yzerman was better - largely based on being able to do more with less at their respective peaks.

I would take both these guys over someone like Messier, however, whom most would have well ahead of Joe and Steve. I believe those guys were much better leaders as well.

Seriously though basically every stat favors Yzerman. I'll go with him.

Supposedly there is a "Fakes it, takes it scores" moment that was done to Stevens. One guy mentions it on the forums but I have never seen it myself and tried to look it up.

EDIT: Meh i just seen it on youtube it was not that good.

I still think The Captain is better.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Maybe it's my Red Wings bias showing but I have to give the edge to Stevie - he has more goals, more points, more Cups and he was captain of the Wings longer than Joe was the captain of the Avs. Joe didn't change his game halfway through his career to become more of a two-way center (regardless of the reason he did it). Also, Stevie suffered that horrific knee injury early in his career and went on to play another 18 years on a knee that was steadily deteriorating and required multiple procedures over the years just to keep it in semi-working order. Not to mention his heroic performance in the 2002 playoffs when it finally did give out and his comeback after a knee realignment surgery that old people get just so they can walk.

In terms of leadership and respect, I think they're pretty close but I would still give the edge to Stevie. He is the epitome of a class act and has the utmost respect throughout the league. Do you think the fans of Tampa Bay would have gone just as gaga over Joe being named the GM as they did over Stevie? I don't.

However, Joe and Stevie are pretty dang close. They're both well-respected, class individuals who are similar in that they led their teams with a quiet authority and never really drew all the attention to themselves. Stevie might be in the top spot, but Joe isn't even a full step behind him.

Guest Shoreline

Like hell if I'm clicking the link to see what another board thinks. Sakic was a VERY good captain in his own right, but come on, he is not Yzerman or greater as far as captaincy is concerned.

Sakic also signed an offer sheet for the Rangers while he was still captain of the Avs.

A very good point when it comes to leadership. Steve and the Wings had their moments but I don't know that he woudl have ever considered playing for another team while he was captain of the Wings.

In fairness to Sakic, that was a hell of an offer. Wasn't it $15 million first year, two million each next two years?