• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

Rate this topic

:thumbup: that's the only name i'm watching for in the 1st round.

same here, i pray to god he falls to the wings spot and they go for him, we need another fischer/vladdy

The Wings wouldn't spend a first round pick on a player because he is "the toughest fighter". Why draft a guy for being a fighter when you can easily pick one off of waivers.

Agreed, but McIlraith is also a big time hitter and a sound defensive player, he wouldn't be in the top 20 for nothing.

Edited by jollymania

The Wings wouldn't spend a first round pick on a player because he is "the toughest fighter". Why draft a guy for being a fighter when you can easily pick one off of waivers.

No they wouldn't. They would pick him because he's the toughest player in the draft, with skills to match it.

If there was a guy as good as Mcilrath that didn't fight they would take Mcilrath over him because he is the "toughest fighter". He has the talent to be anywhere from a number 4 to number 2 defenseman. He wouldn't be ranked as high as he is just because he's the toughest fighter. Youre obviously undervaluing his skills because he is a fighter. You think he's just some enforcer type. Well he's not, he's a Derian Hatcher in his prime I'm thinking.

If McIlrath plays solid D (reports say he does) I'd love to have him. It would be great to have a top-4 defensemen who can drop them. I love his response here to someone running at his teammate.

that announcer is a total douchebag, like that wasn't a charge

With all due respect I think McIlrath has alot more upside than what Lilja could have ever dreamed of.

Lilja is, and always was a 5/6 Dman; McIlrath has the potential to be a 3/4 guy.

You don't make it in the top 20 prospects on thuggishness alone.

Honestly, if you look at McIlrath's WHL numbers they aren't impressive. If you can't put up impressive numbers with his size and strength in a league like the WHL what hope does he realistically have in the NHL? Sure he has potential to grow, just like any other 18 year old does, but this guy dominated physically at the combine. He wasn't just a man playing in a junior league he was a dominant man playing in a junior league. He should have just had his way with opposing players.

Still, your mention of 3/4 guy is right on the money. He definitely projects as a second pairing defenseman.

If I'm picking in the top 20 of the NHL draft I'm aiming for 1st line and 1st pairing talent.

McIlrath is a pylon in the making.

His skating isn't going to blow you away but he has an insanely large wingspan and is very competent in terms of positioning and defensive decision making. From what he's shown so far his lack of top end skating can be compensated for with brute power, good positioning and smart decision making.

Honestly, if you look at McIlrath's WHL numbers they aren't impressive. If you can't put up impressive numbers with his size and strength in a league like the WHL what hope does he realistically have in the NHL? Sure he has potential to grow, just like any other 18 year old does, but this guy dominated physically at the combine. He wasn't just a man playing in a junior league he was a dominant man playing in a junior league. He should have just had his way with opposing players.

Still, your mention of 3/4 guy is right on the money. He definitely projects as a second pairing defenseman.

If I'm picking in the top 20 of the NHL draft I'm aiming for 1st line and 1st pairing talent.

Normally I would agree... but this is a really light draft in terms of skill. You'd have to pick in the top 10 to guarantee a first line/first paring player, almost everyone in the draft has upside...but. The advantage that the Wings have are they allow players to develop their upsides and clean up their buts (no pun intended) before they ever have to play an NHL game.

Dylan McIlrath provides enough physical upside and solid defensive skills that he is a worthy 21st (or higher) pick, not to say that there aren't a few others. I think if the Wings go defense, and he's available they will take him.

His skating isn't going to blow you away but he has an insanely large wingspan and is very competent in terms of positioning and defensive decision making. From what he's shown so far his lack of top end skating can be compensated for with brute power, good positioning and smart decision making.

Yeah but those unimpressive numbers in the WHL are pretty close to Weber and Phanuef during their time there. Now I wouldn't say Mcilrath is going to be like them but if youre getting a Phaneuf or Weberwith that pick youre doing alright

Mcilrath you sacrifice offensive talent but he could very well be the best shut down guy in the league when his time comes. If he continues to develop at the pace he is, people are comparing him to a shea Weber.

TONS OF TEXT

That talent isn't worth the 21st pick?

Dude-- your scouting reports said it right there-- he doesn't have top pairing offensive acumen. People also compare kids to Yzerman left and right but that doesn't mean they're Hall of Fame talent. The comparison is a loose way of talking about style and skill sets.

If you're huge enough to have a massive slapshot and physically dominate opposing players but a scouting report mentions that you don't have top pairing offensive potential that's a pretty clear statement. You can't teach talent. Many kids don't put big numbers up but have the talent to do so and struggle because they haven't grown into their frames. McIlrath has an NHL physique right now-- he should be able to dominate kids in a junior league. He's done that defensively and that gives scouts the confidence to project his NHL talent in that department. But if you have the tools to push past your opponents and knock them on their asses and you've got a monster slapshot but you can't put up significant numbers it's a bit worrying when you try to project the player's NHL (offensive) potential.

If he had significant offensive upside you can bet the scouting reports would herald him as a 1st pairing player.

I just don't believe in trying to draft kids that are already in adult bodies if you have to sacrifice talent. You can grow into your body and train in the gym like a nut but you can't make yourself more talented.

Yeah but those unimpressive numbers in the WHL are pretty close to Weber and Phanuef during their time there. Now I wouldn't say Mcilrath is going to be like them but if youre getting a Phaneuf or Weberwith that pick youre doing alright

I'd kill to see Weber in a Wings jersey. No question there. I just long for a guy with more offensive upside.

I'm not saying I'd be disappointed to see the Wings pick McIlrath but I'd much rather they go after a kid like Kabanov who has top 5 talent but has slipped for reasons a team like Detroit can fix (well we'll see how they deal with Smith before I go that far...).

If we did get McIlrath he could step right into the line-up now but that would leave 3 of the 7 d-men as sophomores or rookies.

When I said more offensive upside I meant then McIlrath, not Weber-- he's a Norris quality d-man right now.

Dude-- your scouting reports said it right there-- he doesn't have top pairing offensive acumen. People also compare kids to Yzerman left and right but that doesn't mean they're Hall of Fame talent. The comparison is a loose way of talking about style and skill sets.

If you're huge enough to have a massive slapshot and physically dominate opposing players but a scouting report mentions that you don't have top pairing offensive potential that's a pretty clear statement. You can't teach talent. Many kids don't put big numbers up but have the talent to do so and struggle because they haven't grown into their frames. McIlrath has an NHL physique right now-- he should be able to dominate kids in a junior league. He's done that defensively and that gives scouts the confidence to project his NHL talent in that department. But if you have the tools to push past your opponents and knock them on their asses and you've got a monster slapshot but you can't put up significant numbers it's a bit worrying when you try to project the player's NHL (offensive) potential.

If he had significant offensive upside you can bet the scouting reports would herald him as a 1st pairing player.

I just don't believe in trying to draft kids that are already in adult bodies if you have to sacrifice talent. You can grow into your body and train in the gym like a nut but you can't make yourself more talented.

The report also says his development curve is huge and he is showing offensive flashes. He is a for sure NHLer at least as a 5/6 defenseman enforcer type, but will most likely be a solid number 3 and borderline #2.

A top pairing dfenseman would be very good in this years weaker draft, if he slips to us we're lucky.

McIlrath likely turns out to be a 4th or 5th/6th d-man...especially if drafted by the Wings. Watch him play rather then reading "scouting reports"

No he probably turns out as a number 4 at worst. Right now he could play a a number 6 in the league I would think with his style of play.

Mcilrath needing time to develop his offensive game means he would be a better fit for Detroit then most other places. He would be given the time to develop at his own pace for a season or two and hit his full potential.

No he probably turns out as a number 4 at worst. Right now he could play a a number 6 in the league I would think with his style of play.

You go ahead and keeping dreaming about how you think the NHL works, I'll stick to how the NHL really works...he is a 4th at best and your completely overrating him as a defenseman.

McIlrath is great and is a asset to any team because he is a damn good player and will turn out to be a damn good enforcer as well...but he isn't no top NHL defenseman and no team is going to put a defenseman who spends 200 minutes in the box as a top 3 defenseman. This isn't the NHL from the past where guys like Mark Tinordi could spend 150 minutes in the box and the team would manage...now a days you lose a guy on your second pairing for 5-7 minutes per fight and your screwing yourself on that second pairing. He will likely be a very solid 5th d-man as then when he is in the box the top 2 pairings will be able to play their game without having to get to know another defenseman to pair with while there regular partner is in the box. (not sure if what I just said makes sense)

Again you will see when he makes the NHL in the next couple years wherever he ends up.

Edited by chrisyo

You go ahead and keeping dreaming about how you think the NHL works, I'll stick to how the NHL really works...he is a 4th at best and your completely overrating him as a defenseman.

McIlrath is great and is a asset to any team because he is a damn good player and will turn out to be a damn good enforcer as well...but he isn't no top NHL defenseman and no team is going to put a defenseman who spends 200 minutes in the box as a top 3 defenseman. This isn't the NHL from the past where guys like Mark Tinordi could spend 150 minutes in the box and the team would manage...now a days you lose a guy on your second pairing for 5-7 minutes per fight and your screwing yourself on that second pairing. He will likely be a very solid 5th d-man as then when he is in the box the top 2 pairings will be able to play their game without having to get to know another defenseman to pair with while there regular partner is in the box. (not sure if what I just said makes sense)

Again you will see when he makes the NHL in the next couple years wherever he ends up.

How the NHL works? I know how the NHL works trust me. A guy who is good enough to play as a second defenseman isn't going to be held back because he is tough. Thats even better that he is tough like that and his toughness isn't going to stop him fro being as good as he can be. He`s making noise right now and fighting to get noticed and its worked because he`s proved he has that edge to go along with his strong defensive, shut down game. When he gets to the NHL if he good enough to be a number 2 his coaches will tell him to tone down the fighting and do it only when necessary.

Pronger is a top 3 defenseman in this league and he spends consistent time in the box. Chara is the exact same and those guys are top 5 in the whole league, not just top 2 on their team. Just because LIdstrom and Rafalski don`t get in fights doesn`t mean that its unheard of to have a guy like that in your top 2 or 3.

And just curious... why is it that 10 years ago you could have top pairing guys fighting but now you can`t?

Pronger spent 79 minutes in the box last year.

Chara spent 87 minutes in the box last year.

Together combined they didn't catch what McIlrath had last year and thats not the point. Are you expecting McIlrath to become the next Pronger or Chara? There isn't a top 4 defenseman in the league who gets 150+ pims to my knowledge...might not even be a top 4 with 100+ for all I know.

Normally I would agree... but this is a really light draft in terms of skill. You'd have to pick in the top 10 to guarantee a first line/first paring player, almost everyone in the draft has upside...but. The advantage that the Wings have are they allow players to develop their upsides and clean up their buts (no pun intended) before they ever have to play an NHL game.

Dylan McIlrath provides enough physical upside and solid defensive skills that he is a worthy 21st (or higher) pick, not to say that there aren't a few others. I think if the Wings go defense, and he's available they will take him.

I think that's a good argument to make for him then. If the talent level really is that light, drafting for a 2nd pairing tough guy who can shut players down and frustrate them is smart. Look at what the Canadians D did to Crawwwwsby this year-- he was a non-factor in most of the games in that series.

The report also says his development curve is huge and he is showing offensive flashes. He is a for sure NHLer at least as a 5/6 defenseman enforcer type, but will most likely be a solid number 3 and borderline #2.

A top pairing dfenseman would be very good in this years weaker draft, if he slips to us we're lucky.

Didn't someone say that Holland had McIlrath on his list of names to scout at the start of this year? I'm positive I read something along those lines earlier in the year. So Kenny seems to like that kids' game well enough.

If the argument that the talent level is light this year is valid (and I don't really know for sure since I'm pretty new to reading into these drafts so in depth) then I can definitely live with taking McIlrath.

Pronger spent 79 minutes in the box last year.

Chara spent 87 minutes in the box last year.

Together combined they didn't catch what McIlrath had last year and thats not the point. Are you expecting McIlrath to become the next Pronger or Chara? There isn't a top 4 defenseman in the league who gets 150+ pims to my knowledge...might not even be a top 4 with 100+ for all I know.

Pronger spent less than 80 mins in the box? Where's the calf-stompin', spearing, knee-on-knee Pronger of old?

Guest mindfly

I'd kill to see Weber in a Wings jersey. No question there. I just long for a guy with more offensive upside.

I'm not saying I'd be disappointed to see the Wings pick McIlrath but I'd much rather they go after a kid like Kabanov who has top 5 talent but has slipped for reasons a team like Detroit can fix (well we'll see how they deal with Smith before I go that far...).

If we did get McIlrath he could step right into the line-up now but that would leave 3 of the 7 d-men as sophomores or rookies.

When I said more offensive upside I meant then McIlrath, not Weber-- he's a Norris quality d-man right now.

We already have 3 defenseman that's all offense in lidstrom, rafalski and kronwall, we need a FREIGHT TRAIN, a fearless defensive defenseman back there who will be so tough to play against, why cant you see it?

I'm getting sold. It would be nice to grab someone like this in later rounds, but they always go early. A defensively sound big guy that is mean and nasty is just what is desperately lacking from this team. There are plenty of defensemen on the roster and in the system that can put up points, but very few with a legitimate snarl.

I keep hoping Kolosov can be that guy.

I think that's a good argument to make for him then. If the talent level really is that light, drafting for a 2nd pairing tough guy who can shut players down and frustrate them is smart. Look at what the Canadians D did to Crawwwwsby this year-- he was a non-factor in most of the games in that series.

Didn't someone say that Holland had McIlrath on his list of names to scout at the start of this year? I'm positive I read something along those lines earlier in the year. So Kenny seems to like that kids' game well enough.

If the argument that the talent level is light this year is valid (and I don't really know for sure since I'm pretty new to reading into these drafts so in depth) then I can definitely live with taking McIlrath.

Pronger spent less than 80 mins in the box? Where's the calf-stompin', spearing, knee-on-knee Pronger of old?

Yeah Holland had that list of highlighted players on an interview or something that a guy here zoomed in on and read. But yeah all I've read is that after about the 10th pick the draft is not very deep talent wise at all. And its not like this guy would be a second pairing guy, he would most likely be the anchor of a tough second pairing shutdown duo and would probably be capable of top pairing minutes.