• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

Rate this topic

Players who are more physical; bigger and faster usually play better in junior leagues when other guys haven't still grown up to their full size and shape. Talented guys start playing well later, as they gain more pounds or fix their skating. More physical players usually play better playing against kids, but once they come into the big league the difference is much smaller.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Pronger spent 79 minutes in the box last year.

Chara spent 87 minutes in the box last year.

Together combined they didn't catch what McIlrath had last year and thats not the point. Are you expecting McIlrath to become the next Pronger or Chara? There isn't a top 4 defenseman in the league who gets 150+ pims to my knowledge...might not even be a top 4 with 100+ for all I know.

Chara and Pronger are both getting older now and their tough side is slowing down a bit. Go look at their PIM numbers early in their career, not far off from what Mcilrath has now. And no I'm not saying he'll be the next Chara or Pronger but I'm saying top Dmen can take penalties. Adam Foote was a more then aserviceable defenseman and top 2 on teh avs for a long time if I remember correctly and he was putting up those kind of penalty minutes as well.

Guys get a lot of PIMs when theyre younger is what I'm saying compared to when they are older because when they are older they have developed and are better players then just "goons". If Mcilrath becomes good enought o be a top 2 then he will be a top 2 his toughness and fihgting won't stop that.

Players who are more physical; bigger and faster usually play better in junior leagues when other guys haven't still grown up to their full size and shape. Talented guys start playing well later, as they gain more pounds or fix their skating. More physical players usually play better playing against kids, but once they come into the big league the difference is much smaller.

This is true, and it is how the Wings manage to find gems in the later rounds of the draft. However, the players that haven't grown into their frame have uncertain futures. No one knows if I player will ever develop the physical or skill level to play in the NHL if they haven't reached it by 18 (or have the potential). The later rounds of the draft are filled with these 'potential' players that never hit that next level. Someone who is 6'4" and 210+ pounds (McIlrath) will not have trouble being a physical force in the NHL.

Would anyone here be disappointed if McIlrath (or any other defensemen drafted by the Wings in the first) became a solid #4 defensemen? You can't draft a top pair (or top line) player every year, and I'd be delighted to get a solid #4 defensemen in the system.

This is true, and it is how the Wings manage to find gems in the later rounds of the draft. However, the players that haven't grown into their frame have uncertain futures. No one knows if I player will ever develop the physical or skill level to play in the NHL if they haven't reached it by 18 (or have the potential). The later rounds of the draft are filled with these 'potential' players that never hit that next level. Someone who is 6'4" and 210+ pounds (McIlrath) will not have trouble being a physical force in the NHL.

Would anyone here be disappointed if McIlrath (or any other defensemen drafted by the Wings in the first) became a solid #4 defensemen? You can't draft a top pair (or top line) player every year, and I'd be delighted to get a solid #4 defensemen in the system.

This is true, looka t how important Stuart is to this team but he is our number 4. He was a #3 overall pick so at 21 if you can get a guy that fills his role youre doing pretty good.

As for the skill guys getting better as tehy fill into their frame, that is true but they also do better blowing around younger kids and stick handling through young defenseman. A lot of times these high skill guys don't translate to anything special in the NHL.

As for the skill guys getting better as tehy fill into their frame, that is true but they also do better blowing around younger kids and stick handling through young defenseman. A lot of times these high skill guys don't translate to anything special in the NHL.

You can gain more speed and more pounds. Those are the main things why certain players play much better in juniors. You can't teach talent however, and those skilled guys will start to take advantage once they grow up a little - which happens partly naturally as well. So it's definitely more advantage to McIlrath-type guys than Kabanov-type guys when in junior leagues.

But yeah, if you wanna take zero risk you could draft the player who is already physical and NHL-ready but may probably have nowhere near the potential that talented guy has. It may take more time for the talented guy to get into the big league, but it also usually means becoming a better player eventually.

McIlrath and Kabanov where just examples. I'm not saying "don't draft McIlrath", because I'm in no position to say that. I don't know enough about the player, but I think I do know what type of player we are talking about.

finnish wing will cream himself 10 times over if the wings draft pulkkinen

Yup. While some others will insist on calling him Puke-inen.

I was just stirring the pot with that CBC link.

I really don't put too much stock in Mock Drafts. Obviously the basic hockey mind will assume that Holland and Nill will take a small skilled Euro based on cliches and sterotypes.

Hell, the way the hockey world views the Wings I could see them expecting Detroit to draft a 40 year old goalie. You know, because the team is so "old". :cool:

Either way, the Wings first selection in each of the last 4 years has been North American.

Yup. While some others will insist on calling him Puke-inen.

I was just stirring the pot with that CBC link.

I really don't put too much stock in Mock Drafts. Obviously the basic hockey mind will assume that Holland and Nill will take a small skilled Euro based on cliches and sterotypes.

Hell, the way the hockey world views the Wings I could see them expecting Detroit to draft a 40 year old goalie. You know, because the team is so "old". :cool:

Either way, the Wings first selection in each of the last 4 years has been North American.

Thats why I don't like mocks either. Detroit tries to hit homeruns with small, skilled euros in the later rounds. They usually go for decent sized, more proven guys in the first round or early second.

Allt eh drafts say stuff like oh you can expect maybe some swede we've never heard of at this pick, but when have the wings ever went that far off the board in the first round?

Yeah Mock drafts never work out.

Alexander Petrovic is a name I didn't expect to see in the 1st round. I thought from most scouting boards he was in the late second round and the Wings could get him in the next round. I don't read many mock drafts but I think that's the first I've seen him going in the first round. I like him and at mid-late second round he would be a steal. I don't know about first round though.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I think no matter what happens with out first round pick, we are going to get a very good player. I think it will just be a matter of risk vs reward. We don't get first round picks very often so we have to make them count when we do.

I think no matter what happens with out first round pick, we are going to get a very good player. I think it will just be a matter of risk vs reward. We don't get first round picks very often so we have to make them count when we do.

But as we all know we make it count much later in the draft too. But I hear ya we definitely need to go for it this year.

Yeah Mock drafts never work out.

Alexander Petrovic is a name I didn't expect to see in the 1st round. I thought from most scouting boards he was in the late second round and the Wings could get him in the next round. I don't read many mock drafts but I think that's the first I've seen him going in the first round. I like him and at mid-late second round he would be a steal. I don't know about first round though.

Petrovic is lingering around the end of the first and earlyish second. If you take him past the 10th pick or so in the second then youre probably getting a steal.

Ok guys. This McIlrath man love is insanity sauce. A stay at home d-man with a high first round pick? If we were picking 29th, maybe, and I'd still be mad. If he doesn't legitametly have a real offensive upside, you don't pick that kinda player that high. THN had him in the first round but somewhere in the 20's.

Also, contrary to what some have said, this is suppossed to be a deep draft.

My guy is Jeff Skinner, he's proven. I've heard rave reviews on him and that he could fall cause he's only like 5'10. The kinda guy that looks to be in our picks range or in the few pick trade up window.

If we trade down, one of those picks has to be us taking a flier on Kabanov if he's there. THN said we'll take Burmistrov because if anyone can get a russian to stay it'll be the Wings. Take that philosophy and put it to Kirill. (That said, given how the Wings are run, its probably a stretch.

Ok guys. This McIlrath man love is insanity sauce. A stay at home d-man with a high first round pick? If we were picking 29th, maybe, and I'd still be mad. If he doesn't legitametly have a real offensive upside, you don't pick that kinda player that high. THN had him in the first round but somewhere in the 20's.

Also, contrary to what some have said, this is suppossed to be a deep draft.

My guy is Jeff Skinner, he's proven. I've heard rave reviews on him and that he could fall cause he's only like 5'10. The kinda guy that looks to be in our picks range or in the few pick trade up window.

If we trade down, one of those picks has to be us taking a flier on Kabanov if he's there. THN said we'll take Burmistrov because if anyone can get a russian to stay it'll be the Wings. Take that philosophy and put it to Kirill. (That said, given how the Wings are run, its probably a stretch.

Yeah god forbid you dont get a guy who will score 50 goals every season in the late first round. A huge shut down defender who will be top 3 on a team and can beat up anyone in the league is a horrible pick at 21. Its not exactly like we're picking in the top 10.

He does have offensive upside, he isn't going to lead defenseman in points or anything but he will be good enough offensively and his defense will make up for it.

He's also what this team needs; a mean streak on the blueline with a big frame, and not afraid to drop the mitts.

I'm also tired of watching guys like Getzlaf, and Perrey get "their licks in" as Howard/Osgood attempt to corral the puck.

I have a soft-spot for the guys on this side of the pond - especially north of the border.

:thumbup:

:siren:

:blush: me too haha. Eloquently put sir.

How about Tinordi?

I would not be upset if we picked Tinordi or McIlrath, they are both huge guys that play a similar game and have potential as second pairing guys. I am just pulling for us to pick a skilled forward in the first round. Howden is not exactly a really skilled player, but from the NHLs scouting report it said he plays like Todd Bertuzzi with speed, and out of this years draft he is the best suited to play in the NHL. My other 3 guys are highly skilled forwards with lots of potential.

Kenny said in an interview that they've got some good d-men prospects in the organization and they'll likely get a forward if there are two equal options.

edit: I wanna ask a little question. Lets imagine that a tiny soft, but talented Euro like Granlund would be available when we draft at 21st. And so would Dylan McIlrath. Anyone who would draft McIlrath?

Because somehow I feel some people would, judging by the hype over here.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Kenny said in an interview that they've got some good d-men prospects in the organization and they'll likely get a forward if there are two equal options.

edit: I wanna ask a little question. Lets imagagine that a tiny soft, but talented Euro like Granlund would be available when we draft at 21st. And so would Dylan McIlrath. Anyone who would draft McIlrath?

Because somehow I feel some people would, judging by the hype over here.

Nobody in their right mind would pick McIlrath over Granlund, but after all this is LGW.

Nobody in their right mind would pick McIlrath over Granlund, but after all this is LGW.

Haven't seen Granlund play but I would consider it probaly. Mcilrath is the type of player that doesn't come around all the time.

Haven't seen Granlund play but I would consider it probaly. Mcilrath is the type of player that doesn't come around all the time.

Granlund is considered having the best hockey sense in the entire draft. Trying not to be too biased here, but I think it's pretty easy to say that these kinda skilled players are way more rare than normal tough d-men. At least in the NHL that is. I haven't seen McIlrath play either, so I'm basing my opinions mostly on scouting reports and to what other people have said.

Do they show a lot of WHL games over there by the way? I mean how much have you seen him play exactly?