• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

Rate this topic

Granlund is considered having the best hockey sense in the entire draft. Trying not to be too biased here, but I think it's pretty easy to say that these kinda skilled players are way more rare than normal tough d-men. At least in the NHL that is. I haven't seen McIlrath play either, so I'm basing my opinions mostly on scouting reports and to what other people have said.

Do they show a lot of WHL games over there by the way? I mean how much have you seen him play exactly?

Well the top prospects game, plus the combine helps to get a feel for a player. Plus probably 5 games through the season. Its not enough to know for sure what he isl ike but you can get a pretty good feel for a guy with that much exposure to him.

How about Tinordi?

TSN's mock draft has McIllrath going 17th to the Avs and Tinordi going 20th to the s*** birds. Mark Pysyk and his terrible stats and +/- on Edm of the WHL going 21st to the Wings. Nice try TSN...

even if McIllrath is a hard hitting shutdown Dman with no more offensive upside than a hard shot and breakout pass, then he can play on a line in a few years with Almqvist or Smith...or the Wings can get Tinordi. this is all assuming the Wings trade up in the draft or no one takes one of them before the Wings get their pick.

i hope we draft jarred knight in the second round

I can get behind that choice. :thumbup:

I know where Granlund is ranked, I never said I would do it but I would look into it for sure.

McIlrath is a solid choice, but don't be blinded by his size and fighting. If a significantly better player is available you have to take the best available player as they say. No?

Well the man-love for McIlrath is largely due to the fact that the vast majority of scouts feel he's gonna go somewhere between 12-20 in the 1st round...He's also what this team needs; a mean streak on the blueline with a big frame, and not afraid to drop the mitts.

As a long time Detroit Red Wings fan I fondly recall watching these stay at home types capable of punishing those whom are foolish enough to park themselves in front of our netminder...I'm also tired of watching guys like Getzlaf, and Perrey get "their licks in" as Howard/Osgood attempt to corral the puck.

I myself am not so sure on some of these Russian kids; if it's not the attitude, it's the transfer agreement, and if it's not that - then it's the lure of the KHL.....I have a soft-spot for the guys on this side of the pond - especially north of the border.

Euro-Hater :ninja:

Holland will draft a Russian who isnt even sure he'll leave Russia...

1st round...

one of...DYLAN MCILRATH, VLADIMIR TARASENKO, NICK BJUGSTAD or JARRED TINORDI

2nd round...

one of...OSCAR LINDBERG, TEEMU PULKKINEN, JOHAN LARSSON or KIRIL KABANOV

any combination of these players and I will be ecstatic!

be about it...

:thumbup:

1st round...

2nd round...

be about it...

Tinordi might be available in the second round even. Central scouting has him ranked 40 something for NA skaters. I don't see how some people can say he is a better pick then Mcilrath but w.e if we grab him in the second I'll be happy.

1st round...

2nd round...

be about it...

I'd gamble on Kabanov higher than the 2nd round. Pulkkinen and Larsson would both be strong additions to the system. I'd like to get Pulkkinen most out of all the 2nd rounders you've listed (aside from Kabanov).

Bjugstad has great size and potential but I worry about high school players sometimes. Being able to let players slowly develop definitely benefits a guy like Bjugstad. Also I like that his last name contains the word jugs.

Guest mindfly

Seems like unless someone like Bjugstad falls to them at 21 that they'll trade down and acquire one more pick like they have in years past.

And what do you base this on, Sir?

Edited by mindfly

And what do you base this on, Sir?

Yeah sorry I should've included the article/passage that induced that impression:

'Intriguing' draft class

Both Holland and assistant general manager Jim Nill said they weren't targeting a specific position. They feel the organization depth is solid both up front and on the blue line.

"This is one of the most I don't want to say difficult but one of the most intriguing draft classes we've seen in a while," Nill said. "Every draft class has 10 to 15 no-brainers, then it usually drops off. There are usually another 30 players that you like but each has some major flaw."

The trick, Nill said, is trying to project which players will overcome those flaws in three to five years.

"We are always looking to get bigger up front, but you look at it, there could be eight to 10 skilled, little forwards available to us," Nill said. "At one time, Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk were skilled, little forwards and they worked out pretty good.

"There could also be eight to 10 defensemen who are 6-3 or 6-4. All have something you love but only one is going to be a Shea Weber. Which one is it?

"Of the 30 players who we might consider, three or four will be high-end players. It's our job to figure out which one."

Holland did not rule out the possibility of the Wings moving up or down in the first round, according to how things shake out before they pick at 21.

"It's just a gut instinct on Friday night," Holland said. "If all of a sudden somebody we really like starts to slide, we could get aggressive and try to move up. Or, if there are three or four guys we like still available, maybe we trade down to get a few more spins at the wheel. The more picks you get over time, the better your odds are."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100624/OPINION03/6240329/1128/SPORTS0103/Red-Wings-pumped-to-pick-21st-in-draft#ixzz0rstDK228

That's just the feeling I got. They do have a higher pick in comparison to years past but it still might not be high enough where you don't feel as if you might as well just trade for two second rounders because the potential is the same.

Yeah sorry I should've included the article/passage that induced that impression:

That's just the feeling I got. They do have a higher pick in comparison to years past but it still might not be high enough where you don't feel as if you might as well just trade for two second rounders because the potential is the same.

If they move down I doubt itll be the whole way to the second round. Theres a big difference in the first round between players that are taken 10 picks apart. 2 seconds is not worth moving down 10 picks they might move down to 25 or something like that pus a second.

Jared Knight would be a great player to get and there is a good chance he could be around with the second pick. I've seen him play alot and wings fans would love this kid.

Snubs push Knight to get busy: http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knights/2010/06/24/14508191.html

here is the two videos they talk about from the article:

combine drills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2ludeR0BM

Goal scoring Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUyxPRa4Vt0&feature=related

#42. Jared Knight | RW | London (OHL)

Date of Birth: January 16th, 1992

Height: 5.11

Weight: 180lbs.

Shoots: R

Season Statistics: Regular Season | 63GP 36G 21A 57P 39PIM - Playoffs | 12GP 10G 7A 17P 12PIM

TSR Midterm Rank: 46 | Position Rank: 32nd Forwards | League Rank: 11th OHL | Country Rank: 13th USA

Goal scoring ability was a bit of a concern coming into the season, but Knight was able to alleviate those concerns rather quickly with a bigger role on the Knights. His skating still needs to improve given his size, but his willingness to compete and play the body are both definite assets to his game. Will be a very good value pick around this range.

Knight had a very slow start to the year and had people wondering what was wrong with him but after being diagnosed with type I diabetes we found the answer. After being treated properly, Knight took off in the second half. There’s so much to love about Knight’s game, he has a great top speed with a good skating stride and he also is a tremendous worker who is relentless on the forecheck and makes defenders stay aware of their surroundings. Jared will also skate back hard into his own zone to support his teammates. His shot is well above-average and a reason why he can be a goal-scorer at the next level along with his willingness to go the net. His size is an issue; however he’s not a total shrimp at 5’11. His upside is good and he’s been underrated this draft season. A full healthy season in a more significant role may see Knight put up monster numbers.

Edited by redwingfan19