• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

NHL draft is right around the corner and various pundits have the Wings picking either Teemu Pulkkinen, Vladimir Tarasenko, or Nick Bjugstad. Personally, I think we will end up taking somebody that nobody has ever heard of, then in 5-8 years, that person will be a an absolute stud...but that's just me :hehe:

NHL draft is right around the corner and various pundits have the Wings picking either Teemu Pulkkinen, Vladimir Tarasenko, or Nick Bjugstad. Personally, I think we will end up taking somebody that nobody has ever heard of, then in 5-8 years, that person will be a an absolute stud...but that's just me :hehe:

The situation you describe is something that happens with draft picks from rounds 3-9.

I think it'd be fun talk about players who are fair game for the Wings 21st pick and then vote on them. You can add the poll any time you want but I'm not sure exactly who's within the wide variety of players likely to be around at the 21st pick.

McIlrath for sure but with no shot of getting him the excitement for that better be dialed down.

No shot? I've seen him hovering around 15th to 25th in some cases. I think after the Top 10 it's pretty much a crapshoot.

Edit: I just saw him at 10th overall too. Who knows.

Edited by Jesusberg

what about Jarred Tinordi ?!

6'6 205lbs

The Insider Says

Bob McKenzie: The son of former NHL defenceman Mark Tinordi is an absolute physical beast, almost 6-foot-6 and still filling out a frame that is more than 200 pounds. He blew scouts away with physical testing at the Combine. He’s naturally aggressive, a heavy hitter, with outstanding leadership and character, as evidenced by his captaincy on what may be the best U.S. U-18 team ever. Tinordi will attend Notre Dame in the fall.

Bobby MAC has him going #23

With Neidermayer retiring this afternoon, and the losses of Pronger, and Beauchemin - I wouldn't be too surprised if the Ducks draft a Dman with their 1st rounder, and that will probably be McIlrath.

Hope I'm wrong.

Aren't the Ducks pushing for Kaberle ? thats what i heard

No shot? I've seen him hovering around 15th to 25th in some cases. I think after the Top 10 it's pretty much a crapshoot.

Edit: I just saw him at 10th overall too. Who knows.

Good call. No shot is a bit much considering we have NO clue what will happen. If it happens I will gladly give you one of these :clap: especially for claiming your personal savior as the same I do, Hank Jesusberg.

I really do hope so. The Wings could really shore up on some physical defensemen. Kolosov hasn't made much of an impact in the AHL, just plays steady. I wonder if Brian Lashoff will be able to transition to the AHL. His two stints with the Griffins have looked really good, and I think he could turn out to be a pretty good overall player.

As the OP mentioned, I think they could go for Bjugstad as well. Detroit needs some depth at center in terms of prospects. McGrath crapped out and Emmerton hasn't really put up an impressive AHL season yet. Either way, I'm pumped for the draft big time. Highest pick since Kindl in 2005.

Oh... and Ken Holland. DO NOT TRADE THIS PICK!! :ranting: I sat through last year's draft to find out at the 29th pick, we made a trade. I like Tatar... but do not pull that s*** again Kenny... DO. NOT.

I dont get the McIlrath love here. The kid hardly has any offensive upside and if it wasnt for his fighting and toughness he would just be another no name guy going late in the draft. If we want another Lilja we can get one through free agency and not waste our first rounder on one.

Anyways, the Wings always draft for skill, not size or toughness. Getting McIlrath would be a long shot especially for the Wings organization. Bjugstad looks like the high skilled center that could really make an impact on this team, but who knows who we will pick. Almost every mock draft has us going for someone different, there is no medium. This draft should be very interesting nonetheless.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Kirill Kabanov please

eh. no thank you.

I dont get the McIlrath love here. The kid hardly has any offensive upside and if it wasnt for his fighting and toughness he would just be another no name guy going late in the draft. If we want another Lilja we can get one through free agency and not waste our first rounder on one.

Anyways, the Wings always draft for skill, not size or toughness. Getting McIlrath would be a long shot especially for the Wings organization. Bjugstad looks like the high skilled center that could really make an impact on this team, but who knows who we will pick. Almost every mock draft has us going for someone different, there is no medium. This draft should be very interesting nonetheless.

Good post. I agree about the mock drafts especially. This thread was really just for speculation. Seems like everyone has a different opinion.

Mcilrath does have some decent offensive upside, probably to be around what Brad Stuart is like. Plus he's as mean as Pronger, and as tough as Carkner.

He's the type of guy who might not put up points but you match him up against the opposing teams top forward and he'll run him through the glass all game. He obviously has talent if some people have him going top 10.

I'm still thinking John Macfarland at center could be a real possibility. He's getting Brendan Morrow comparisons and who wouldn't love a guy like Morrow on the red wings?

Tinordi > McIlrath

Yeah, thats why some are projecting Mcilrath to be a top 10 pick and Tinordi is going late first at best.

I'm really scratching my head as to how you could say Tinordi would be better. Theyre the same type of player, Mcilrath is just better at that style.

Don't you mean Ferraro/Andrej Nestrasil?

Was it Nestrasil? I thought it was Ferraro and Tatar... my bad.

Yeah, you were right. Ferraro was from an LA pick and Nestrasil from a FLA pick.

Edited by Jesusberg

Yeah, thats why some are projecting Mcilrath to be a top 10 pick and Tinordi is going late first at best.

I'm really scratching my head as to how you could say Tinordi would be better. Theyre the same type of player, Mcilrath is just better at that style.

Tinordi is a better skater, has more offensive upside, is equally as big, just doesn't drop the gloves nearly as much as Mcilrath. He's a great leader, had a great combine, and has the whole bloodline thing going for him.

Tinordi simply fits better in our system than Mcilrath would, and that's a fact. Everyone on here wants Mcilrath because he's a big meat head, stay at home defender/fighter, and that's something we've lacked for a long time (fighter part anyway).

Kenny also loves to draft college bound players, and Tinordi happens to be heading to Notre Dame. That gives him more time to develop before a qualifying offer needs to be made.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if we ended up with Mcilrath, though I'd honestly prefer Tinordi.

Tinordi is a better skater, has more offensive upside, is equally as big, just doesn't drop the gloves nearly as much as Mcilrath. He's a great leader, had a great combine, and has the whole bloodline thing going for him.

Tinordi simply fits better in our system than Mcilrath would, and that's a fact. Everyone on here wants Mcilrath because he's a big meat head, stay at home defender/fighter, and that's something we've lacked for a long time (fighter part anyway).

Kenny also loves to draft college bound players, and Tinordi happens to be heading to Notre Dame. That gives him more time to develop before a qualifying offer needs to be made.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if we ended up with Mcilrath, though I'd honestly prefer Tinordi.

Tinordi isn't projected to have hardly any offense whatsoever. Mcilrath they are saying has an offensive side that he could develop. At the very most, Tinordi and Mcilrath are even offensively. They are the same player with Mcilrath being tougher and probably a bit better defensively since he's ranked so much higher then Tinordi.

Good points here...And you're right about Holland wanting skill with that size, and add to that the option of having the kid develope in college for a few extra years is what the Red Wings mgt prefer.

I don't think the wings prefer college guys that can develop. They prefer college guys that can develop because they pick later then this usually so the guys need more seasoning.

I think if it comes down to Mcilrath or Tinordi they aren't going to draft Tinordi because he is heading to college next year.

Mcilrath does have some decent offensive upside, probably to be around what Brad Stuart is like. Plus he's as mean as Pronger, and as tough as Carkner.

He's the type of guy who might not put up points but you match him up against the opposing teams top forward and he'll run him through the glass all game. He obviously has talent if some people have him going top 10.

I'm still thinking John Macfarland at center could be a real possibility. He's getting Brendan Morrow comparisons and who wouldn't love a guy like Morrow on the red wings?

Some aren't projecting McIlrath to go in the first round at all. Also, the Brad Stuart comparison is poor. Stuart was putting up a PPG in the WHL when he was drafted. McIlrath just put up 24 points in 65 games. Stuart was developed as an offensive guy, and McIlrath will not be which makes the situation even worse. That is not even close, McIlrath will be another bottom pair guy that is very solid defensively, very little offensive upside, and can drop the gloves. Much like Lilja was like before his concussion but maybe a little more physical. Those are the kind of guys you throw your 2nd-3rd+ rounders at. I would take the kid in the second round, but at the 21st pick there will be guys available that can make a bigger impact on the organization.

Edited by cjm502