Photo
- - - - -

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Tinordi > McIlrath

#22 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

Tinordi > McIlrath

Yeah, thats why some are projecting Mcilrath to be a top 10 pick and Tinordi is going late first at best.

I'm really scratching my head as to how you could say Tinordi would be better. Theyre the same type of player, Mcilrath is just better at that style.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#23 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Oh... and Ken Holland. DO NOT TRADE THIS PICK!! :ranting: I sat through last year's draft to find out at the 29th pick, we made a trade. I like Tatar... but do not pull that s*** again Kenny... DO. NOT.

Don't you mean Ferraro/Andrej Nestrasil?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#24 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Don't you mean Ferraro/Andrej Nestrasil?

Was it Nestrasil? I thought it was Ferraro and Tatar... my bad.

Yeah, you were right. Ferraro was from an LA pick and Nestrasil from a FLA pick.

Edited by Jesusberg, 22 June 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#25 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, thats why some are projecting Mcilrath to be a top 10 pick and Tinordi is going late first at best.

I'm really scratching my head as to how you could say Tinordi would be better. Theyre the same type of player, Mcilrath is just better at that style.

Tinordi is a better skater, has more offensive upside, is equally as big, just doesn't drop the gloves nearly as much as Mcilrath. He's a great leader, had a great combine, and has the whole bloodline thing going for him.

Tinordi simply fits better in our system than Mcilrath would, and that's a fact. Everyone on here wants Mcilrath because he's a big meat head, stay at home defender/fighter, and that's something we've lacked for a long time (fighter part anyway).

Kenny also loves to draft college bound players, and Tinordi happens to be heading to Notre Dame. That gives him more time to develop before a qualifying offer needs to be made.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if we ended up with Mcilrath, though I'd honestly prefer Tinordi.

#26 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Tinordi is a better skater, has more offensive upside, is equally as big, just doesn't drop the gloves nearly as much as Mcilrath. He's a great leader, had a great combine, and has the whole bloodline thing going for him.

Tinordi simply fits better in our system than Mcilrath would, and that's a fact. Everyone on here wants Mcilrath because he's a big meat head, stay at home defender/fighter, and that's something we've lacked for a long time (fighter part anyway).

Kenny also loves to draft college bound players, and Tinordi happens to be heading to Notre Dame. That gives him more time to develop before a qualifying offer needs to be made.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if we ended up with Mcilrath, though I'd honestly prefer Tinordi.

Tinordi isn't projected to have hardly any offense whatsoever. Mcilrath they are saying has an offensive side that he could develop. At the very most, Tinordi and Mcilrath are even offensively. They are the same player with Mcilrath being tougher and probably a bit better defensively since he's ranked so much higher then Tinordi.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Good points here...And you're right about Holland wanting skill with that size, and add to that the option of having the kid develope in college for a few extra years is what the Red Wings mgt prefer.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#28 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Good points here...And you're right about Holland wanting skill with that size, and add to that the option of having the kid develope in college for a few extra years is what the Red Wings mgt prefer.

I don't think the wings prefer college guys that can develop. They prefer college guys that can develop because they pick later then this usually so the guys need more seasoning.

I think if it comes down to Mcilrath or Tinordi they aren't going to draft Tinordi because he is heading to college next year.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#29 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Mcilrath does have some decent offensive upside, probably to be around what Brad Stuart is like. Plus he's as mean as Pronger, and as tough as Carkner.

He's the type of guy who might not put up points but you match him up against the opposing teams top forward and he'll run him through the glass all game. He obviously has talent if some people have him going top 10.

I'm still thinking John Macfarland at center could be a real possibility. He's getting Brendan Morrow comparisons and who wouldn't love a guy like Morrow on the red wings?

Some aren't projecting McIlrath to go in the first round at all. Also, the Brad Stuart comparison is poor. Stuart was putting up a PPG in the WHL when he was drafted. McIlrath just put up 24 points in 65 games. Stuart was developed as an offensive guy, and McIlrath will not be which makes the situation even worse. That is not even close, McIlrath will be another bottom pair guy that is very solid defensively, very little offensive upside, and can drop the gloves. Much like Lilja was like before his concussion but maybe a little more physical. Those are the kind of guys you throw your 2nd-3rd+ rounders at. I would take the kid in the second round, but at the 21st pick there will be guys available that can make a bigger impact on the organization.

Edited by cjm502, 22 June 2010 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Tinordi isn't projected to have hardly any offense whatsoever. Mcilrath they are saying has an offensive side that he could develop. At the very most, Tinordi and Mcilrath are even offensively. They are the same player with Mcilrath being tougher and probably a bit better defensively since he's ranked so much higher then Tinordi.

Personally I'd prefer the likes of a guy like McIlrath - however cr00d may have a valid point concerning the college bound Tinordi in that he might be capable of developing into something more.

I'm no scout, and I've only seen Tinordi play in the WJR - so I honestly take whatever is said by the "experts" on TSN.....They like McIlrath, and so do I.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#31 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Tougher why? because he fights more?

Not going to sit here an argue who's better, or who will be better, because no one knows for sure. Though the fact of the matter is, Tinordi fits our system better, and will more then likely still be available when we draft. Same can't be said for Mcilrath.

#32 stevie12

stevie12

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

I'm still thinking John Macfarland at center could be a real possibility. He's getting Brendan Morrow comparisons and who wouldn't love a guy like Morrow on the red wings?

I worked for the Sudbury Wolves while I was at university and from what I saw, he had a bad attitude. He was extremely cocky and it seemed like he wasn't well liked in the dressing room. As well, he is a major defensive liability with one of the worst +/- across the league.

Don't get me wrong though.. he is by far one of the top skaters in the OHL with a bullet of a shot. Just needs to be surrounded by the right guys. He played well at the Canada U-18.

A bit of a risk to take him in the first round, but interesting to see how his NHL career turns out.

Edited by stevie12, 22 June 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#33 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Tougher why? because he fights more?

Not going to sit here an argue who's better, or who will be better, because no one knows for sure. Though the fact of the matter is, Tinordi fits our system better, and will more then likely still be available when we draft. Same can't be said for Mcilrath.

If youre saying we have a better shot at Tinordi then I completely agree. But to say he will be better then Mcilrath offensively right now is not true. He isn't projected to be offensive at all. Mcilrath is said to have some untapped offense.

And yes because he was picked the toughest fighter in the WHL this year(the toughest jr league) and teh fact that he hits like a mack truck he is tougher. I know Tinordi hits hard as well, but Mcilrath is tougher all around.

Some aren't projecting McIlrath to go in the first round at all. Also, the Brad Stuart comparison is poor. Stuart was putting up a PPG in the WHL when he was drafted. McIlrath just put up 24 points in 65 games. Stuart was developed as an offensive guy, and McIlrath will not be which makes the situation even worse. That is not even close, McIlrath will be another bottom six guy that is very solid defensively, very little offensive upside, and can drop the gloves. Much like Lilja was like before his concussion but maybe a little more physical. Those are the kind of guys you throw your 2nd-3rd+ rounders at. I would take the kid in the second round, but at the 21st pick there will be guys available that can make a bigger impact on the organization.

Yeah but Stuart never panned out to what he was supposed to be like. I'm saying Mcilrath if he meets what he is expected to be will be what Stuart is right about now offensively. Stuart went like 3rd overall, he didn't quite turn out as offensively gifted as he was projected.

I worked for the Sudbury Wolves while I was at university and from what I saw, he had a bad attitude. He was extremely cocky and it seemed like he wasn't well liked in the dressing room. As well, he is a major defensive liability with one of the worst +/- across the league.

Don't get me wrong though.. he is by far one of the top skaters in the OHL with a bullet of a shot. Just needs to be surrounded by the right guys. He played well at the Canada U-18.

A bit of a risk to take him in the first round, but interesting to see how his NHL career turns out.

Yeah I've read that he has attitude problems as well. I've only seen him play a couple times but he can fly out there and has a very high talent level. If he screws his head on right he could turn into a number one center in the future for us.

Fromw hat you saw was he a pretty physical player as well? Big hitter or what?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#34 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

I dont get the McIlrath love here. The kid hardly has any offensive upside and if it wasnt for his fighting and toughness he would just be another no name guy going late in the draft. If we want another Lilja we can get one through free agency and not waste our first rounder on one.

Anyways, the Wings always draft for skill, not size or toughness. Getting McIlrath would be a long shot especially for the Wings organization. Bjugstad looks like the high skilled center that could really make an impact on this team, but who knows who we will pick. Almost every mock draft has us going for someone different, there is no medium. This draft should be very interesting nonetheless.

Why does a top-4 defenseman have to be an offensive threat? If he can play a shut-down game and be physical while putting up 20-30 points, I don't see the downside. I'd like to see the Wings draft the best player available (like the Wings always do), since there isn't a need for a particular position.

#35 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

If youre saying we have a better shot at Tinordi then I completely agree. But to say he will be better then Mcilrath offensively right now is not true. He isn't projected to be offensive at all. Mcilrath is said to have some untapped offense.

And yes because he was picked the toughest fighter in the WHL this year(the toughest jr league) and teh fact that he hits like a mack truck he is tougher. I know Tinordi hits hard as well, but Mcilrath is tougher all around.

I said he had higher offensive ceiling, didn't say he was going to be better offensively.

...and toughness is measured in more ways than just fighting. Just wait 'til Tinordi fills into his 6'6 frame, he'll be putting guys through the boards.

#36 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

I said he had higher offensive ceiling, didn't say he was going to be better offensively.

...and toughness is measured in more ways than just fighting. Just wait 'til Tinordi fills into his 6'6 frame, he'll be putting guys through the boards.

His 6'6 frame isn't going to make him much tougher as a hitter then Mcilrath in his 6'4 frame that he is still filling into. There isn't a lot of ways to measure toughness. Its pretty much hitting, fighting and taking punishment like Homer or shot blocking.

Fromw hat I've read theyre pretty even in the hitting regard but Mcilrath is the toughest fighter in the toughest league besides teh AHL or NHL. So I think its fair to say Mcilrath is tougher.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#37 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

D - McIlrath or Tinordi

F - Kirill Kabanov, Pulkkinen or Bjugstad

be about it...

:thumbup:
be about it!

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

what about Jarred Tinordi ?!

6'6 205lbs

The Insider Says
Bob McKenzie: The son of former NHL defenceman Mark Tinordi is an absolute physical beast, almost 6-foot-6 and still filling out a frame that is more than 200 pounds. He blew scouts away with physical testing at the Combine. Hes naturally aggressive, a heavy hitter, with outstanding leadership and character, as evidenced by his captaincy on what may be the best U.S. U-18 team ever. Tinordi will attend Notre Dame in the fall.

Bobby MAC has him going #23

tinordi also sounds pretty good along with mcilrath. i'd also mention emerson etem, but i think the wings have alot of good forwards in the system and could do with some beefing up on the blue line.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#39 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Like Drake_Marcus said it: when you draft 21st you have to sacrifice either physical part, mental part or talent. You can't teach talent. That's a fact. You can make players more physical. Players can improve their skating etc. Players' mental issues (Kabanov) can be fixed as well. You need to draft the guy with the best upside.

A guy like McIlrath will never be more than a Lilja-type player (4th d-man at best). A guy like Kabanov though... This is the Detroit Red Wings. We can fix those kinda issues. It would be stupid to not take that risk. Or a player like Pulkkinen. We would sacrifice the physical aspect there, but that can be teach either.

There are just examples but:

- McIlrath: sacrifice talent
- Kabanov: sacrifice mental "things"
- Pulkkinen: sacrifice physical game

Now these are just examples, we don't know if Pulkkinen even goes in the top6. But if you've got three basically equal players you just can't sacrifice talent.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#40 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Lately McIlrath has projected anywhere from 10th-15th, so who knows. Like I said, it's a real crapshoot after the first 10 or so. I think for sure we see Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Gudbranson & Gormley in the Top 5 or so... after that it's up in the air if you ask me.