• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Do Wings fans want another Yzerman?

Rate this topic

I'm not sure how to go about this topic so let me first try to define what an "Yzerman" is.

Our love for Yzerman truly has no boundaries. If other teams fans, or God forbid our own Wings fans even joke that Yzerman is overrated our instinct is to punch them in the face, no hesitation about it. That's how much we love him.

But when I say an "Yzerman" I mean a guy who was the symbol of a force that rescued a franchise from the gutter. We'd all love a player that loves hockey so much that he can have a major impact on every game even while playing on one leg. That's not what I'm talking about for the most part. A big reason why we love Stevie so much is because he was the franchise player that rescued the Wings from being perennial losers.

If the Wings keep a relatively high winning pace then we'll see different captains every 5-7 years right? You have Nick for a little more than half a decade (at least, hopefully) then Zetterberg or Datsyuk for nearly the same amount of years, then someone else, I don't know, right now Gustav Nyquist is starting to look more and more like Zetterberg every day. If the Wings keep that pace then they won't need an Yzerman to be captain for 20 years.

I feel like I'd rather the Wings win at a pace that they do now and not have another Yzerman captain for 20 years because, I mean, there were a lot of growing pains in those 20 years for Wings fans. I mean, why not keep a boring, yet consist winning pace where they don't really need a superhero to rescue the franchise? I'm sure it's fun to watch guys like Ovechkin put a franchise on their shoulders and just will them into a playoff spot but I mean, I think I'd rather the Wings keep the pace that they got right now even it means we have different captains so often that they don't really inspire as much emotion as Yzerman does. It's not an easy thing to keep a winning pace the way the Wings do but I'd rather they not go back into a state where they need an Yzerman just to keep their heads above water.

I'm not exactly sure if I even communicated the question well enough. Hopefully I did.

Would I like another "face" of the franchise...I would say yes. Will we get one anytime soon I don't think so. The reason behind that is to me those type of players are the best from their generation. Unless the Wings get a good trade break and end up getting a top 10 draft pick I don't think it will happen. Also that draft pick would have to be good to go right from the start. No AHL or any other type of minor league and I just do not see that happening with the way Holland likes to season his young players.

I think "Yzermans" are in fact once in a lifetime type leaders and players. But hell yes everyday of the year, even Rosh Hashana.

exactly. the wings had their yzerman. he brought the franchise from the gutter and obscurity to greatness and he instilled it in the organization along with the illich's and the management and coaching staff and the bar is being held up by the players that yzerman played with. the wings won't have another yzerman because they are way too professional and the best managed team in sports. they continue to do things that other teams can't do. win consistantly making minimal change each offseason to keep a winning team together and bring in youth as they are ready to be red wings.

yzerman will always be remembered for what he did for the wings franchise and when the wings take over the #1 spot in the NHL for stanley cup wins, we'll remember where it started.

Yzerman was the man but, i don't think we need another one like you said. I think that Z would be a great captain for years to come once Lids retires.

Make that WILL. Z is the perfect choice for the C but just not ready to let Lids go for this to happen...

Z is the perfect choice for the C but just not ready to let Lids go for this to happen...

I don't think I'll ever be.

To me it's kind of like, "Will I ever be ready to be a parent?" At some point you just have to jump in and find out.

Man my original post reminded me of those minority of Wings fans who somehow find a way to dislike everything Yzerman does.

Anybody ever seen those blogs? They make claims like "Yzerman was selfish for taking that shot on Jon Casey during Game 7 because it could've hit the glass and turned into an odd man rush the other way." It's like get the f*** outta here, man...

I see the point you're making, ( if obtaining another Yzerman = Losing seasons you dont want one )

Here is my thought. I'm greedy, I want to win AND have another Yzerman. We are going to need one when Lids is gone.

When you lose (arguably) the best D-Man of all time or at least ever to wear a wings jersey , it leaves a big gap.

2 ways to approach filling this gap would be to spend his 6.2 mil ( If that is what he retires making ) on 2, 3 mill dollar players

or to load up that 6 mill on one "Yzerman" like franchise player.

I'd rather see 1 franchise guy as apposed to 2 more filps.

just my 2 cents.

Edit: This post revolves around trade and Free Agents, not draft picks.

Edited by HelmerFan

Wings have no shortage of leadership in the locker room. In fact, as far as leadership goes, we probably have more than any other team in the league. Some of them are vocal, some lead by example.

I would love another Yzerman, but we all know its kind of impossible. For one, I don't see us getting any top 5 overall picks any time soon (I hope), and also, I think we got pretty lucky with Yzerman, having him turn out the way he did.

I think Z will make for a great captain, and will lead very similarly to how Lids did.

Stevie Y's legacy is unlikely to be duplicated by any individual in any sports franchise any time soon.

I disagree. There's another Stevie in another sport who's equally legendary in that regard...

Damn straight.

vwwfaustin2.jpg

Bahahaha!!!

You should've said, "Hell yeah!" or "Give me a hell yeah!"

It's too bad that in reality the stone cold stunner does jack s*** whenever performed on someone else.

I think Lilja should sharpshooter Matt Cooke. As far as I know that's the only finishing move that can actually hurt in real life.

What Stevie did for the Wings is nothing short of amazing. I hope that the Wings will never go that long needing someone like Stevie to pull them out of the ruins and restore the franchise to its former glory.

My question is: How can Lions fans get an Yzerman?

"Prior to Stevie there was Gordie Howe, but many years had passed between those 2 guys; lets hope there isn't a 30 plus year gap for another Yzerman/Howe/Lidstrom type."

Gordie Howe was the star of the Red Wings, but he was never a captain Alex Delvecchio was the captain.

Yzerman helped bring a moribund franchise back to glory. The glory years of most teams (Yankees the exception?) does not continue indefinitely, so let's enjoy ours while we can. Ours of course is based upon continuity of ownership, management, and a team philosophy that seems to be a model for any hockey team.

Lidstrom is a good captain and I'm sure that Zetterberg will make a good captain also, but Yzerman's leadership was something special.

As long as Yzerman's name has been brought up I'd like to apologize for a post I started about two weeks ago. I had asked the question as to whether Yzerman would ever be persona non grata,but when I though about other General Managers, none of them are persona non grata, so I was embarrassed by my post!

Our love for Yzerman truly has no boundaries. If other teams fans, or God forbid our own Wings fans even joke that Yzerman is overrated our instinct is to punch them in the face, no hesitation about it. That's how much we love him.

100% Agreed I would shed blood for that guys name. I understand why he left, but I still wish the hero I grew up with was still a part of the team that I grew up with. I don't know if we will ever get another "Yzerman" in my lifetime, but if there is one out there I wouldn't mind having him on the Wings.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think we would have to be in the gutter to have another Yzerman... OP said it himself.

Well we currently have Lidstrom whom is kinda like a "Yzerman Jr".

Prior to Stevie there was Gordie Howe, but many years had passed between those 2 guys; lets hope there isn't a 30 plus year gap for another Yzerman/Howe/Lidstrom type.

That's exactly my thought. But expecting a guy like this within the next few seasons is unreasonable unless Detroit starts sucking all of a sudden.

Yzerman was the man but, i don't think we need another one like you said. I think that Z would be a great captain for years to come once Lids retires.

I think this hits the nail on the head. We will never have another Yzerman and we wont need one. What we do have and should always have are amazing team leaders. Lids has done an amazing job of leading and Z will be able to pick up right where Lids leaves it when he retires.