• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

That's more then what was expected, right?

We don't know yet. No reason to get excited, that 59.64 is just 5% higher than this year's number.

What really happens is the NHL will set a new cap number, then add 5% to that. The actual cap could still go down for all anyone knows. [edit to add: It could also be even higher than that. It's a good sign, but we shouldn't spend the money yet.] I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet, most people expected the NHLPA to trigger the inflator.

Bigger news is the extension of the CBA. I believe that will let teams like Boston and Chicago take advantage of the bonus cushion again.

Edited by Buppy, 22 June 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#22 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Agreed, but bodies have to move. I don't think the Red Wings will wanna carry 14 forwards, but who knows. Either way, this kind of room gives Kenny some more options now. Good deal.

Yeah just because guys played good for us doesn't mean they deserve to be here for an extended time.

Miller was picked up off waivers because we were hurting on injuries and then played well. He didn't play well enough to say he deserves to be here and sacrifice makign this team tougher to play against when Miller brings absolutely nothing to the table at all.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#23 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

lines with the new cap with plenty of room to add a player at the deadline:

YOUR 2010-11 DETROIT RED WINGS

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
* Patrick Eaves ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Zenon Konopka ($0.650m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Garnett Exelby ($1.100m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.6m; PAYROLL: $58.492m; CAP ROOM: $1.108m BONUSES: $0.000m

obviously this isn't accurate and I dont know how much the RFA's will get. Just ballparking it.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#24 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Sutton baaby.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#25 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Yeah just because guys played good for us doesn't mean they deserve to be here for an extended time.

Miller was picked up off waivers because we were hurting on injuries and then played well. He didn't play well enough to say he deserves to be here and sacrifice makign this team tougher to play against when Miller brings absolutely nothing to the table at all.

Miller brings more than any two bit thug on skates do. He can kill penalties, hes a solid defensive forward, and doesn't cost much, and hes a hometown guy.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#26 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Miller brings more than any two bit thug on skates do. He can kill penalties, hes a solid defensive forward, and doesn't cost much, and hes a hometown guy.

I'm not saying a thug on skates does provide more but I'm saying a thug on skates provides something we don't have and Miller doesn't really provide much at all.

He's an average penalty killer that Abdelkader can replace next year. Konopka is also solid defensively for a 4th line guy. But he hits harder then Miller does. Hometown guy doesnt really mean much in the NHL

lines with the new cap with plenty of room to add a player at the deadline:

YOUR 2010-11 DETROIT RED WINGS

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
* Patrick Eaves ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Zenon Konopka ($0.650m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Garnett Exelby ($1.100m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.6m; PAYROLL: $58.492m; CAP ROOM: $1.108m BONUSES: $0.000m

obviously this isn't accurate and I dont know how much the RFA's will get. Just ballparking it.

Thats pretty damn close to what the RFAs will get except Abby will get a raise of at least 10% so his cap hit will be a bit higher. I like that roster, I don't know if Exelby will only get 1.1 but someone else that is a similar player to him could be put into that spot for the same price.

I really like that roster.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#27 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

I'm not saying a thug on skates does provide more but I'm saying a thug on skates provides something we don't have and Miller doesn't really provide much at all.

He's an average penalty killer that Abdelkader can replace next year. Konopka is also solid defensively for a 4th line guy. But he hits harder then Miller does. Hometown guy doesnt really mean much in the NHL

Him and Eaves are the reason why our PK went from 78 to 84%. We don't need a guy who spends more time in the box then on the ice.. our team is best when it can roll four lines not 3.5
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#28 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Sutton baaby.

Sutton made 3.5 last year and looked pretty good, especially with Ottawa. I don't think he'd want to take a pay decrease, but who knows. I think Sutton would be like my wishlist version of a 3rd pairing guy.

#29 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Thats pretty damn close to what the RFAs will get except Abby will get a raise of at least 10% so his cap hit will be a bit higher. I like that roster, I don't know if Exelby will only get 1.1 but someone else that is a similar player to him could be put into that spot for the same price.

I really like that roster.

exelby made $1,391,666 last season. I could see him taking slightly less to come to a good team. I also like jay mckee for a 6th D man as well, one of the premier shot blockers in the game. I don't think kenny breaks the bank on a guy like sutton.

Edited by redwingfan19, 22 June 2010 - 03:50 PM.

14 Fighting Majors

#30 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

exelby made $1,391,666 last season. I could see him taking slightly less to come to a good team. I also like jay mckee for a 6th D man as well, one of the premier shot blockers in the game. I don't think kenny breaks the bank on a guy like sutton.

I know it isn't impossible but I just don't wanna get my hopes up. Add a guy like X and Konopka to our lineup next year with Abdelkader as well and I'm gonna be loving red wings hockey :yowza:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#31 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Has it been confirmed that it's 59.64? I just read it will "hit" 59...

#32 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Maybe the Wings should save $1.5 - $2 mil to make a deadline move and upgrade? I'd hate to see us spend right up to the cap and have another eight players on the IR in December.

Get an Asham or Nystrom, and maybe resign Lilja at #6. Work on getting a higher value of non-roster players like Janik that can fill in for a dozen or so games as needed. Then at the trade deadline, try to nab that Hamhuis-type that might have helped us against the Sharks.

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

From TSN :

The players also voted to retain the five per cent growth factor for next season, which ensures the salary cap will rise for a fifth straight time.

As part of the CBA, the players have the right to include five per cent of growth in calculations for the following season's cap once revenues exceed US$2.1 billion.

The current cap of $56.8 million is expected to rise to roughly $59 million.

Five percent added to $56.8 million would be the $59.64 million figure. Thank you, Canadian dollar!!!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I know it isn't impossible but I just don't wanna get my hopes up. Add a guy like X and Konopka to our lineup next year with Abdelkader as well and I'm gonna be loving red wings hockey :yowza:

this is my hope :)

and don't forget big E!

the thing that is the best about the cap going up is that kenny can fill needs now and not have to worry about going over the cap and still have a million or so left for a deadline acquisition.

Edited by redwingfan19, 22 June 2010 - 04:03 PM.

14 Fighting Majors

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

this is my hope :)

and don't forget big E!

the thing that is the best about the cap going up is that kenny can fill needs now and not have to worry about going over the cap and still have a million or so left for a deadline acquisition.

Big E will play tougher with a guy like X on his pairing with him knowing someone would always have his back. Not to mention Abby and Konopka or a smaller less tough fighter like Nystrom upfront and we would have a tough team to play against.

Every defense pairing has absolute hammers on them except for if Lids/ Rafi are together. Then upfront you have the perfect balance of toughness and skill with Abby and Konopka on the roster taking care of business hammering the other teams defense and makign sure nobody messes with Datsyuk.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#36 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sutton made 3.5 last year and looked pretty good, especially with Ottawa. I don't think he'd want to take a pay decrease, but who knows. I think Sutton would be like my wishlist version of a 3rd pairing guy.

it was more of a joke than anything, he will get a raise i think, but it at least makes the scenario more plausible.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#37 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 17; CAP: $59.0m; PAYROLL: $53.675m; CAP ROOM: $5.325m BONUSES: $0.000m

leaves 5.965mill to sign Helm, Abby and whoever else

#38 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Big E will play tougher with a guy like X on his pairing with him knowing someone would always have his back. Not to mention Abby and Konopka or a smaller less tough fighter like Nystrom upfront and we would have a tough team to play against.

Every defense pairing has absolute hammers on them except for if Lids/ Rafi are together. Then upfront you have the perfect balance of toughness and skill with Abby and Konopka on the roster taking care of business hammering the other teams defense and makign sure nobody messes with Datsyuk.

You and I damn well both know Holland won't go after a team like that :(
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#39 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

So we can sign Kovalchuk now, right? ;)

#40 WordonaWing

WordonaWing

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I think it needs to be said that the salary cap has not been changed to $59.64m. There is no official statement releasing the exact salary cap figure. A few second-hand sources have simply jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts, that's all. The topic title should be changed -- it's wrong.

The only thing the statement confirms is that the cap will go up.
Word on a Wing