• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChelisChick

No contract for Nabokov

Rate this topic

Eww! I think that would be weird seeing that. Turco would f*ck the Sharks over lol. No way they sign him. I don't think they'll promote Greiss (spelling) to starting goalie so I am curious to see who they sign. I also don't think they will try to get Thomas either.

I actually think they could sign Ellis and rotate him with Greiss. Greiss obviously has potential so maybe they don't want to waste it by getting a clear starter with big cash.

Hmmmmm you never know!

Actually you know what? I am all for it lol. Turco to San Jose! Bring down the Sharks!!!!! As far as Nabby to Dallas, please no! Head on east to Philadelphia! :thumbup:

I actually think they could sign Ellis and rotate him with Greiss. Greiss obviously has potential so maybe they don't want to waste it by getting a clear starter with big cash.

Yeah that makes sense. I was trying to think of the goalies that could become possible free agent targets, or goalies that are up for trade. That wouldn't be a bad move for the Sharks at all now that you mention it.

Not at all shocked. I had said that he'd be gone if the Sharks flamed out in the first round...but I think their collapse in the WCF was possibly more embarrassing, especially considering the way they dismantled us so handily. It'll be interesting to see Nabby in the East (and I'm certain that's where he'll go).

So.. Instead of improving their back up goalie situation and getting someone that can play a few games each year instead of making your starting all-star caliber goalie start 70 games.. you just replace the all star goalie? That seems like twisted logic.. but hey, maybe they know something we dont.. Greiss for Vezina 2011!? :ph34r:

I wonder if Washington will be in the market for a goalie or if they'll stay with Varlamov as the starter. They better win a Cup soon, because they can't keep a core that talented together for too long and surround them with talent.

Keep in mind that Chris Mason had a pretty good year last year too and with Halak going there, Mason being a UFA and Conklin still being under contract for another year, that's another started to throw into the pool...

This is a good year for a team if they want a starting goalie - they'll probably be able to get an established starter and on the cheap at that...

I say Turco goes to SJ and Nabby to Dallas.

hey, why not, that actually happened in my NHL 10 dynasty :ph34r:

:lol:

I think they should stick with what works*.

*Bright orange, long hair and questionable ethics.

Emery?

Probably a long shot but what ive heard is SJ has been calling about Tim Thomas

ive heard to could go

To SJ: Tim Thomas,and a pick or 2 depending on how high

To BOS: Setoguchi

the other Phill has called to

and rumor is close to the same

To PHI: Tim Thomas,Pick or Prospect

To BOS: Jeff Carter

There's no way Philly would give Carter up for a 36 year old, $5,000,000 Thomas. The Bruins need to dump his salary and everyone knows it.

Emery?

¯\(°_o)/¯

I wonder if Washington will be in the market for a goalie or if they'll stay with Varlamov as the starter. They better win a Cup soon, because they can't keep a core that talented together for too long and surround them with talent.

I was just reading that they are pretty high on Neuvirth and Holtby. Both are doing well in the AHL, it's just a question of when they'll be ready. I could see them going with Varlamov and getting someone on a one-year contract like we did with Conks when they wanted to give Jimmy more time.

I was just reading that they are pretty high on Neuvirth and Holtby. Both are doing well in the AHL, it's just a question of when they'll be ready. I could see them going with Varlamov and getting someone on a one-year contract like we did with Conks when they wanted to give Jimmy more time.

With the overflow of starters available, one of them may not have a choice but to take a one year deal, if they want to maximize their earning potential - Maybe Turco to Wash on a 1 or 2 year deal?

With the overflow of starters available, one of them may not have a choice but to take a one year deal, if they want to maximize their earning potential - Maybe Turco to Wash on a 1 or 2 year deal?

Sounds reasonable.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of goalies floating around this year? I honestly only started paying attention to the financial end of things (contracts, caps, etc.) when I started hanging around here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5316670

Wilson noted a direction in the NHL in which teams have had great success with lower-paid goaltenders, most recently with the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup with Antti Niemi, who made $827,000 this season.

"If you look at the trends in this league the last four or five years in particular and the dollars that are dedicated to that position," he said. "If you're dedicating $5 or $6 million, that's coming out of somewhere else."

[/Quote]

The Sharks will give a chance to backup Thomas Greiss, who started 11 games this season and also played for Germany in the Olympics, as well as minor league goalie Alex Stalock, who won 39 games and had a 2.63 GAA with AHL Worcester.

Wilson said the team would also look to add a veteran goalie either through a trade or free agency to pair with one of the younger goalies. Among the goalies eligible to become unrestricted free agents are the Dallas Stars' Marty Turco, St. Louis Blues' Chris Mason, Philadelphia Flyers' Michael Leighton and Washington Capitals' Jose Theodore.

"The goaltending market is very deep," Wilson said. "There's lots of goalies that are out there that you can supplement or build a tandem with what you have. Make no mistake, we're very pleased with the goaltenders we have in our system and they'll be given an opportunity."

[/Quote]

I don't know why anyone would take a chance on that sieve. But hey, everyone deserves several chances I guess...

He's certainly no Vezina candidate, but we saw what he could do in the '08 playoffs when he was on his game. On a better San Jose team, his stats could greatly improve from the last two seasons.

He's certainly no Vezina candidate, but we saw what he could do in the '08 playoffs when he was on his game. On a better San Jose team, his stats could greatly improve from the last two seasons.

Agreed. Picking up a cheap veteran like Ellis seems like a given based on Wilson's comments.

On a better San Jose team, his stats could greatly improve from the last two seasons.

Meh, thats not exactly always true for goalies. Nabby was considered the best in the world at ONE TIME but never really got further than WCF. But as Drake has said with what Wilson wants, its probably the most logical fit.

Meh, thats not exactly always true for goalies. Nabby was considered the best in the world at ONE TIME but never really got further than WCF. But as Drake has said with what Wilson wants, its probably the most logical fit.

That's partially due to the fact that teams like San Jose and Calgary, while they have incredibly talented goaltenders, massively overplay them to the point that they're burned out come playoff time. That's a huge factor in Calgary's four consecutive losses in Round One (and missing the postseason completely this year), and why the Sharks were never able to get over the hump.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Here's the thing. Niemi was not spectacular. And in the finals he had a save percentage of less than .900. They won the cup because the goaltender at the other end sucked and their offense was fantastic. The year before, again Fleury was not great but they won the cup because their offense was great and they got to play the walking wounded in the finals.

For Wilson to bank on sucess of a cheap goaltender based on these scenarios isn't very smart IMO.

NORMALLY, you need great goaltending to win the Cup. The last 2 years were exceptions.

Nabokov was never able to excell in the playoffs and when he did have good playoff years, the rest of the team sucked. I think that they are better off with him than a "cheaper" goaltender but I would like it if San Jose was a weaker team next year...

That's partially due to the fact that teams like San Jose and Calgary, while they have incredibly talented goaltenders, massively overplay them to the point that they're burned out come playoff time. That's a huge factor in Calgary's four consecutive losses in Round One (and missing the postseason completely this year), and why the Sharks were never able to get over the hump.

So to summarize:

Sutter: Hey Wilson, why do other teams rest their goalies so much?

Wilson: Like when they let their starters play 50 or 60 games max a year?

Sutter: Yeah man.

Wilson: ¯\(°_o)/¯