• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Nill says the Wings could trade up

Rate this topic

From the Windsor Star

As for the Wings, their pick at 21 is their highest since they took Jakub Kindl at 19 in the season following the 2004-05 lockout.

"We've pretty happy with the balance in our system," Nill said. "I would be nice to find a higher-end forward, but I'm not sure there'll be one at 21."

Should there be one a few picks earlier, Nill said Detroit may make a deal to move up a couple slots to grab him.

"If we make a trade, it'll be on the draft floor," Nill said. "It's going to be based on who is still there.

"If there are two or three kids we like still available, we could also trade down for an extra pick."

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Windsor+Spitfires+could+dominate+draft+Wings/3184216/story.html#ixzz0revCpFc5

No shockers there but it's nice to shoot down the people who bemoan the fact that the Wings have traded down in the past and wish for more high-end action if only to appease their need for drama (see: trade deadline).

I read this earlier, and if it is what we need to do to get one of the high end forward prospects Nill is talking about im all for it. This years draft is said to be weak, but that was said about last years too. Now look at all the names emerging out of the 2009 draft, not just first rounders but later ones as well. The draft class of 2009 is looking to be pretty solid, and I feel comfortable saying this years draft is pretty underrated as well. Either way, if we get another top line prospect out of this draft we will have a few very solid offensive prospects emerging.

I read this earlier, and if it is what we need to do to get one of the high end forward prospects Nill is talking about im all for it. This years draft is said to be weak, but that was said about last years too.

That's not how I remember that draft at all. I remember how writers went on and on about how deep last year's draft was and how Jimmy Nill said that a wide majority of teams went home really happy after the draft was over.

I reeeeeally dont want to watch a few hours of drafting if Detroit just trades down again...

:lol: That was disappointing last season. I watched the coverage on TSN excited to hear what we would pick and boom-- traded off that day's board.

Still, that's shaping up to look like a great draft year for the Wings so I can't complain in retrospect.

There are so many players in this year's draft I'd like us to pick up... wonder what Holland would be willing to part with to pick sooner.

Who or what do you guys think we could use to trade up? Any prospects we could afford to lose if it means snagging Skinner, Etem, McIlrath, etc? Would it even be worth it if it only means moving up 3 or so spots? Everyone has a boner for Mcilrath but recent mock drafts have him damn near top 10. If by some miracle we were able to trade up that high without giving up too much, there are far better players we could select. The most appealing thing about Mcilrath was the sleeper factor but according to these new mock drafts he just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

I like the idea of a beast D-man like Mcilrath or Tinordi but only if we don't have to give much for them, and by that I mean one mediocre prospect and Meech at most. If we were to give up more I'd rather go for a natural scorer because who knows when the next time we get to pick this high will be.

To move up 3 spots or so they would likely only have to give up their second round pick and their first. Anymore then 3 you might be looking at 1, 2nd, and that 5th we got from philly maybe.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

After reading the article it sounds more like they are gonna trade down. His little bit about 2nd rounders to me suggest that the Wings have their eyes on players they expect to be overlooked and drafted in later rounds.

If McIlrath is already taken by the 21st pick, wouldn't mind us moving down to two early 2nd rounders as long as Kabanov would still be available. Such immense talent is worth the risk imo. Give me a 25-30th overall and another decent 2nd rounder any day over just a single 21st.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If McIlrath is already taken by the 21st pick, wouldn't mind us moving down to two early 2nd rounders as long as Kabanov would still be available. Such immense talent is worth the risk imo. Give me a 25-30th overall and another decent 2nd rounder any day over just a single 21st.

Agreed. They could move down and take Petrovic which fills need for a tough dman if Mcilrath is gone and we could take Kabanov as well if he's still on the board.

I'm hoping for Brad Ross with our own second round pick though :cool:

Guest Heaten

I'm excited. Draft day starts this Friday. Anyone know what time and what channel we can watch it?

I'm hoping he's talking forward as a smoke screen for McIllrath...

One can only hope my friend... At this juncture trading up to me would be to get McIlrath but I've been known to make asenine statements from time to time. Mainly what the wife tells me anyway.

Edited by HankthaTank

To move up 3 spots or so they would likely only have to give up their second round pick and their first. Anymore then 3 you might be looking at 1, 2nd, and that 5th we got from philly maybe.

This. Although you could swap that 2nd rounder for a fringe prospect like Emmerton and move up as well. Emmerton had a great OHL career but hasn't found his consistency in GR yet. He's still young and talented enough that teams with a need for forward depth in their farm system would take a flier on him. How far you could move up the board would really depend on who's still on the board and who the trading partner has on their wish list. Holland's not the only guy who trades down a few spots when he sees that multiple players he wants are left on the board. For every team that trades up there's a team trading down.

The Devils seem to like trading up if my memory serves me.

One possible plus I see in this draft is that Hall of Famer Jimmy Devellano told the European scouts that if there is Russian talent, draft them. This while other teams are shying away from Russian players because of the difficulty of getting them over here. He said that they should draft talent and we will worry about getting them over here when the time comes. Don't doubt The Jimmy!

All of the 1st round Russians have elite offensive talent. The potentially available forwards I really, really want to see in a Winged wheel are:

-Kabanov (top 3 talent but comes with baggage)

-Galiev (compared by everyone to Datsyuk... put him with the real deal and see if he can learn)

-Niederreiter (some mock drafts have had him fall into the teens so this would be a trade-up scenario)

-Etem (his speed and offensive skills make him a game changer)

-Skinner (could be a one year wonder, based on 09-10 season easily the best goal scorer in this draft)

-Weal (broke 100pts in the WHL as a 17 year old... needs muscle and height but hopefully he's a late bloomer)

There, happy?

Seems a small group of posters (or one guy with multiple accounts) has been repeatadly negging all of my posts. Impressive, no? He/they have negged me about 50/60 times in the last 24 hours.

Im just a little peeved off <_<

Edited by uk_redwing

dreggers twitter

"15th overall is in play. Florida is willing to move the pick. Oilers among those interested."

would florida take the 21st pick and say.... rittola??? move up 6 to jump into the top 15 spots and clear up a roster spot since ritolla is out of options.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Seems a small group of posters (or one guy with multiple accounts) has been repeatadly negging all of my posts. Impressive, no? He/they have negged me about 50/60 times in the last 24 hours.

Im just a little peeved off <_<

It's an internet reputation system. It's not like if the world ends tomorrow we can exchange positive rankings for food.

With that being said, enjoy a +1 lol.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA