• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Cuts Continue for Hawks - Fraser Sent to Edmonton

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

The changes keep coming.

On the heels of trading Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and Brent Sopel to the Atlanta Thrashers, the Blackhawks followed that up with another deal Thursday when they sent center Colin Fraser to the Edmonton Oilers for a sixth-round pick (151st overall) in this weekend's NHL entry draft.

Fraser, 25, had seven goals, 12 assists and 44 penalty minutes in 70 games this season with the Hawks. He also appeared in three postseason games during the Hawks' run to the Stanley Cup championship.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/blackhawks-trade-fraser-to-oilers.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing too big here. They sure are aquiring a bunch of draft picks though.

Not that big of a deal, cap move that really didn't provide much cap relief, even with a minimum 5% increase you are still talking about what $750k freed up.

The changes keep coming.

On the heels of trading Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and Brent Sopel to the Atlanta Thrashers, the Blackhawks followed that up with another deal Thursday when they sent center Colin Fraser to the Edmonton Oilers for a sixth-round pick (151st overall) in this weekend's NHL entry draft.

Fraser, 25, had seven goals, 12 assists and 44 penalty minutes in 70 games this season with the Hawks. He also appeared in three postseason games during the Hawks' run to the Stanley Cup championship.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/blackhawks-trade-fraser-to-oilers.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing too big here. They sure are aquiring a bunch of draft picks though.

They sold their future for a cup... that's really what it comes down to, but at the same token, they're stock piling so many picks, that they'll likely be loaded with young talent in 5 years again... probably not a horrible plan in the cap era, however, it's risky and I hope they fall fast and HARD

They sold their future for a cup... that's really what it comes down to, but at the same token, they're stock piling so many picks, that they'll likely be loaded with young talent in 5 years again... probably not a horrible plan in the cap era, however, it's risky and I hope they fall fast and HARD

selling your future for a cup....crazy...it worked :thumbdown:

Not that big of a deal, cap move that really didn't provide much cap relief, even with a minimum 5% increase you are still talking about what $750k freed up.

And realistically, it only provided $200,000 worth of cap "relief" given roughly $550,000 will have to be used to replace him in the lineup.

Pretty good pick up for Edmonton since it was only a 6th round pick. Fraser isn't too bad for a 4th line center, he will score a few goals and fight if he's gotta. I remember he fought Phaneuf at the world junior camp when Phaneuf ran Crosby. Good times.

So the hawks firesale has included 2 4th liners, one who couldnt even crack the lineup the past 2 post seasons,and another who has a history of concussion problems, a #6 at best defensemen who cant skate and may be in his last year, and also made way too much money, and Dustin Byfuglien, who has had 3 or 4 good playoff series out of the 7 the past 2 years the hawks have been in, and who during the regular season has limited production and a certain laziness about him.

In return, the hawks get a top prospect, Maddens replacemnet (If they even keep Reasoner), a 1st round pick, a second round pick, and a 6th round pick. Also, Atlanta has eased the hawks cap woes significantly to the point that after Huet is traded/buried/ or bought out, the only other move that might need to be made would be to trade Versteeg.

They will also now be able to sign Hjalmarsson, Niemi and probably Ladd, and depending on how much, could mean plenty of room for a couple free agent dmen.

They might actually end up better than this past season.

Edited by Dave82RWS

So the hawks firesale has included 2 4th liners, one who couldnt even crack the lineup the past 2 post seasons,and another who has a history of concussion problems, a #6 at best defensemen who cant skate and may be in his last year, and also made way too much money, and Dustin Byfuglien, who has had 3 or 4 good playoff series out of the 7 the past 2 years the hawks have been in, and who during the regular season has limited production and a certain laziness about him.

In return, the hawks get a top prospect, Maddens replacemnet (If they even keep Reasoner), a 1st round pick, a second round pick, and a 6th round pick. Also, Atlanta has eased the hawks cap woes significantly to the point that after Huet is traded/buried/ or bought out, the only other move that might need to be made would be to trade Versteeg.

They will also now be able to sign Hjalmarsson, Niemi and probably Ladd, and depending on how much, could mean plenty of room for a couple free agent dmen.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

You might want to check your numbers again.

Might want to check yours again. Remember to remove Huets salary or at least half of it. Plus the fact that the cap went up to 59.4

Stan Bowman has come out and said since yesterday that his back is no longer against the wall. If Niemi and Hjalmarsson are signed for 3 mil or less, the hawks might have to part with only one more player. It wont be Sharp, it wont be Bolland. It would most likely be Versteeg, or for that matter Reasoner. There is also some speculation that Kane did not hit all his bonuses. No one knows yet.

Everything I said in my post is true.

Edited by Dave82RWS

Weird. I figured they would keep Fraser because he would be a cheap 4th line centre to use next season.

They have Beach, Bickell or Dowell to use for the 4th line. Each actually uses their body and can win a fight. Something neither Fraser, Eager or Burish can do. They also have Reasoner now to play center if they choose to keep him.

Might want to check yours again. Remember to remove Huets salary or at least half of it. Plus the fact that the cap went up to 59.4

Stan Bowman has come out and said since yesterday that his back is no longer against the wall. If Niemi and Hjalmarsson are signed for 3 mil or less, the hawks might have to part with only one more player. It wont be Sharp, it wont be Bolland. It would most likely be Versteeg, or for that matter Reasoner. There is also some speculation that Kane did not hit all his bonuses. No one knows yet.

Everything I said in my post is true.

Here's what I get...

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)

Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.150m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

Jeremy Morin ($0.978m) / Ben Smith ($0.812m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.735m)

Mathis Olimb ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

Simon Danis-Pepin ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($3.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(no bonus cushion is used in these calculations)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $55.4m; PAYROLL: $58.425m; CAP ROOM: $-3.025m

This is without Versteeg, Ladd, and Huet. I guess they could try to sign a bunch of $500k players to save a few million, but their back is still against the wall.

Here's what I get...

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)

Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.150m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

Jeremy Morin ($0.978m) / Ben Smith ($0.812m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.735m)

Mathis Olimb ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

Simon Danis-Pepin ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($3.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(no bonus cushion is used in these calculations)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $55.4m; PAYROLL: $58.425m; CAP ROOM: $-3.025m

This is without Versteeg, Ladd, and Huet. I guess they could try to sign a bunch of $500k players to save a few million, but their back is still against the wall.

http://www.hawkscap.com/

Note: Hjalmarsson wont get 3 mil. Niemi on the other hand might. However, he has the option of maybe taking a cheaper 1 year deal then testing free agency the following year. He will be old enough.

So far the hawks have lost Byfuglien. The 4th liners are easily replaced and in fact will be upgraded by Reasoner or what they have coming up from Rockford.

The hawks cap situation is off to a better start then they could have even imagined.

Edited by Dave82RWS

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

The situation the Hawks are in is a complete mess. The only thing to really do is wait and see what happens....all I know is that the Central Division banner will be short lived in Chi Town

http://www.hawkscap.com/

Note: Hjalmarsson wont get 3 mil. Niemi on the other hand might. However, he has the option of maybe taking a cheaper 1 year deal then testing free agency the following year. He will be old enough.

So far the hawks have lost Byfuglien. The 4th liners are easily replaced and in fact will be upgraded by Reasoner or what they have coming up from Rockford.

The hawks cap situation is off to a better start then they could have even imagined.

Niemi won't take a cheaper 1 yr deal. Players either want a long term or a high salary. No way Chicago can get him to take a short term and a small salary.

That website shows the no Ladd, Versteeg, and Huet scenario, and gives about $1.1 mil in space with a $55.4 cap and they still need to sign another defenseman and 2 forwards. That's not possible. The Hawks are just getting started. More players will have to go.

Niemi won't take a cheaper 1 yr deal. Players either want a long term or a high salary. No way Chicago can get him to take a short term and a small salary.

That website shows the no Ladd, Versteeg, and Huet scenario, and gives about $1.1 mil in space with a $55.4 cap and they still need to sign another defenseman and 2 forwards. That's not possible. The Hawks are just getting started. More players will have to go.

Correct, but thats with Hjalmarsson and Niemi signed with an amount that doesnt even exist yet. Also, like I said, Versteeg is as good as gone. There will be money to sign one or 2 defensemen that are not only better then Sopel, but cheaper. (Mottau, maybe Sutton etc). Ladd could possibly remain as well if Versteeg goes and I think they might trade Reasoner.

The best thing they can have happen is to trade Huet outright, or have him go to KHL or something, but no matter what, at least half his salary will be gone.

Brouwer- Toews - Kane

Kopecky - Sharp - Hossa

Skille - Bolland - Ladd

Beach - Reasoner - Bickell (maybe still Bursih)

Keith - Seabrook

Hjlamarsson - Campbell

Lalonde - (xxxxx)

Niemi

Crawford or xxxxx

Thats still a pretty good team. Core is still intact, some good younger guys coming up.

We will know further how it will play out when in the next few days when Hjalmarsson and Niemi get qualified.

Edited by Dave82RWS

From the Byfuglien trade thread....

2010-11 NHL Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Andrew Ladd ($2.000m)

Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Jack Skille ($1.275m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m)

Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.150m) / Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.625m)

Shawn Lalonde ($0.800m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Antti Niemi ($2.500m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 20; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $55.702m; CAP ROOM: $4.218m BONUSES: $0.520m

Correct, but thats with Hjalmarsson and Niemi signed with an amount that doesnt even exist yet. Also, like I said, Versteeg is as good as gone. There will be money to sign one or 2 defensemen that are not only better then Sopel, but cheaper. (Mottau, maybe Sutton etc). Ladd could possibly remain as well if Versteeg goes and I think they might trade Reasoner.

The best thing they can have happen is to trade Huet outright, or have him go to KHL or something, but no matter what, at least half his salary will be gone.

Brouwer- Toews - Kane

Kopecky - Sharp - Hossa

Skille - Bolland - Ladd

Beach - Reasoner - Bickell (maybe still Bursih)

Keith - Seabrook

Hjlamarsson - Campbell

Lalonde - (xxxxx)

Niemi

Crawford or xxxxx

Thats still a pretty good team. Core is still intact, some good younger guys coming up.

We will know further how it will play out when in the next few days when Hjalmarsson and Niemi get qualified.

Want to explain how that would possibly fit under the cap? I get about $3 mil over using that roster plus a 13th forward and 7th d man. And I still laugh every time I see Kopecky in the top 6.

From the Byfuglien trade thread....

2010-11 NHL Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Andrew Ladd ($2.000m)

Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Jack Skille ($1.275m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jake Dowell ($0.525m)

Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.150m) / Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.625m)

Shawn Lalonde ($0.800m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Antti Niemi ($2.500m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 20; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $55.702m; CAP ROOM: $4.218m BONUSES: $0.520m

What does this tell me? That they would still need to sign 2 players and add in the $4 mil in bonuses? I'm not sure if you're trying to tell me that they're in trouble or you think this would work. Also, those are low cap hits for Ladd, Niemi, and Hjalmarsson.

Want to explain how that would possibly fit under the cap? I get about $3 mil over using that roster plus a 13th forward and 7th d man. And I still laugh every time I see Kopecky in the top 6.

What does this tell me? That they would still need to sign 2 players and add in the $4 mil in bonuses? I'm not sure if you're trying to tell me that they're in trouble or you think this would work. Also, those are low cap hits for Ladd, Niemi, and Hjalmarsson.

The 21st and 22nd player on your roster aren't going to be that big of a salary burden. Ladd's might be low, maybe. Niemi is about right I think. Him and Crawford were a coin flip coming out of training camp. I don't think many teams are going to break the piggy bank on a goalie that couldn't win the starting job until the end of the year when the goalie he was competing with was so bad everybody just assumes he won't be back. Hjalmarsson isn't arbitration eligible yet so it just depends on what other teams offer if the hawks and his agent can't work out something. The hawks aren't done with figuring out their salary cap problem but they are off to go a good start.

So yeah, I think that is a workable roster or at least a start.

The 21st and 22nd player on your roster aren't going to be that big of a salary burden. Ladd's might be low, maybe. Niemi is about right I think. Him and Crawford were a coin flip coming out of training camp. I don't think many teams are going to break the piggy bank on a goalie that couldn't win the starting job until the end of the year when the goalie he was competing with was so bad everybody just assumes he won't be back. Hjalmarsson isn't arbitration eligible yet so it just depends on what other teams offer if the hawks and his agent can't work out something. The hawks aren't done with figuring out their salary cap problem but they are off to go a good start.

So yeah, I think that is a workable roster or at least a start.

No one's denying its a workable roster. The point is the Hawks are not going to be nearly as strong next year, especially come April/May when secondary scoring becomes absolutely crucial. Hell, look up and down the roster you just posted and notice the incredible difference from last season.

:lol: What is supposed to come out and say? "Despite the fact that yesterday we traded a key contributor to our first Stanley Cup in half a century, our cap situation is still completely f***ed. Please, someone come save us before the league is forced to step in and clean up our mess for us."

No one's denying its a workable roster. The point is the Hawks are not going to be nearly as strong next year, especially come April/May when secondary scoring becomes absolutely crucial. Hell, look up and down the roster you just posted and notice the incredible difference from last season.

So far all they have lost is Buffs 34 regular season points, 2 4th liners who at times couldnt even crack the lineup, and an aging overpaid, slow #6 defensemen.

Nobody knew 2 years ago who Buff was, Brouwer, Bolland, Versteeg, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson etc. Who is to say that Jack Skille, or Kyle Beach or any other younGER player coming up wont be productive, such as the prospect they just got from Atlanta, or future draft picks?

Some fans act as though since its the hawks who won the cup, they are now doomed till eternity. I dont think you need reminding how players and production have been lost from the Wings as well as every other team in the league. Maybe the hawks wont win the cup in the next 2 years like the Red Wings after they won 3 years ago, but could very well win another cup or two in the not to far future.

Edited by Dave82RWS