• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Savard to waive no trade clause

Rate this topic

How about a three-way deal between Detroit, Boston, and Philadelphia?

From Boston: G Tim Thomas and C Marc Savard

From Detroit: D Brad Stuart

From Philadelphia: C Daniel Briere, D Braydon Coburn

To Boston: C Daniel Briere

To Detroit: C Marc Savard, D Braydon Coburn

To Philadelphia: G Tim Thomas and D Brad Stuart

Solves Boston's Tim Thomas issue, brings Savard to Detroit, solves Philly's goaltending questions and forward issues.

Stuart is a good defenseman and all. But there is no way we could get Savard and Coburn for just Stuart. Even if it is a 3 team deal. Maybe Kronwall, but definitely not Stuart. And since there's no way I would want to give up Nick jr, I just don't see this scenario going down.

Guest Crymson

How about a three-way deal between Detroit, Boston, and Philadelphia?

From Boston: G Tim Thomas and C Marc Savard

From Detroit: D Brad Stuart

From Philadelphia: C Daniel Briere, D Braydon Coburn

To Boston: C Daniel Briere

To Detroit: C Marc Savard, D Braydon Coburn

To Philadelphia: G Tim Thomas and D Brad Stuart

Solves Boston's Tim Thomas issue, brings Savard to Detroit, solves Philly's goaltending questions and forward issues.

I'm sure Philly is going to want to send away their best playoff performer from this last season; that'd be a great way to start out their attempt to reach the Cup finals again. And I'm absolutely confident they'd love to add a very expensive ($5m) goaltender whose bad performance in the prior season got him benched.

Good one, Eva.

Edited by Crymson

Stuart is a good defenseman and all. But there is no way we could get Savard and Coburn for just Stuart. Even if it is a 3 team deal. Maybe Kronwall, but definitely not Stuart. And since there's no way I would want to give up Nick jr, I just don't see this scenario going down.

There would probably be mid-round picks involved somehow, I was just dealing with the roster players. Detroit probably gives up 2 picks somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round, which both end up going to Boston.

That would provide the following lineup:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves

Abdelkader/Helm/Cleary

Draper

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Coburn

Meech

Savard/Eaves is a particular combo that I like; Eaves and Kessel are not terribly different players offensively. Both are fast players with good shots. The major difference is that one of them got to play with one of the league's five best playmakers almost 20 minutes a game. Savard has always worked well with a speedy winger who can shoot; this was true in Boston, Atlanta, and even in Calgary. He was feeding Kovalchuk's during Kovalchuk's best years. In Calgary he worked well when he was played with Iginla and/or V.Bure, both of whom are speedy wingers who have decent shots. He's the classic playmaking center.

Edited by eva unit zero

I'm sure Philly is going to want to send away their best playoff performer from this last season; that'd be a great way to start out their attempt to reach the Cup finals again. And I'm absolutely confident they'd love to add a very expensive ($5m) goaltender whose bad performance in the prior season got him benched.

Good one, Eva.

Briere is Philadelphia's second oldest forward and most expensive player. None of their other top-nine forwards have reached 30, while Briere is 32 and under contract for five more seasons. If they can't sign Nabokov, which it sounds like they are having troubles, then Thomas would be a good way to go. Yes, he lost his starting job; but to be fair, Rask had a phenomenal season. Thomas had 43 starts, 17 wins, a .915sv%, and 5 shutouts. He had a better season that a good number of goalies who kept their starting position on good teams. He outperformed Roberto Luongo and Pekka Rinne, and he had a much better regular season than Antti Niemi, who everyone on this board this should be getting $4m-$5m because he was last year's Cup winner. You do recall that Thomas just won the Vezina the season before last, right? And as for the playoffs, Thomas' career playoff numbers are .926sv% and 2.16 GAA with 1 shutout in 18 games played. Arguing that it was Thomas playing poorly and not Rask playing well is like saying "Yzerman playing poorly is why Fedorov took over the top line job in 1993-94 and went on to score 120 points and win the Hart that year." It's just not true.

Bertuzzi wouldn't be turning over the puck as much if Savard was his center; Savard would be doing most the work of getting the puck in the other teams end of the ice...All Bert would have to do is park his large frame in front of the opposing goalie for a rebound/deflection, or near the net for an easy tap in.

Agreed. While I'm not very fond of Savards contract I've always viewed him as one of the most underrated players in the game.

97pts in 05/06

96pts in 06/07

78pts in 07/08

88pts in 08/09

Those kind of numbers are worthy of recognition but the guy never gets his credit. He's always been viewed as an afterthought, which is a damn shame.

If this son of a ***** put up these kind of numbers in a Maple Leafs uniform he would be declared a national hero! ;)

Edited by puffy

As of right now he's 1 of a very few players that's rumoured to be available, and could get the Maple Leafs offense going, and potentially into the playoffs...Kinda surprised nothing was done this past weekend concerning Kaberle; maybe Burke is waiting to see what pans out come July 1st.

I think he didn't trade Kaberle because he knows the offers are going to get better after July 1st. He may be intimidating and annoying, but he's not an idiot. He's waiting until certain teams get desperate before he makes his move.

Edited by puffy

There would probably be mid-round picks involved somehow, I was just dealing with the roster players. Detroit probably gives up 2 picks somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round, which both end up going to Boston.

Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves

Abdelkader/Helm/Cleary

Draper

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Coburn

Meech

Savard/Eaves is a particular combo that I like; Eaves and Kessel are not terribly different players offensively. Both are fast players with good shots. The major difference is that one of them got to play with one of the league's five best playmakers almost 20 minutes a game. Savard has always worked well with a speedy winger who can shoot; this was true in Boston, Atlanta, and even in Calgary. He was feeding Kovalchuk's during Kovalchuk's best years. In Calgary he worked well when he was played with Iginla and/or V.Bure, both of whom are speedy wingers who have decent shots. He's the classic playmaking center.

No offense to your posting but I just had to comment on this.

I don't think that Savard would accept a role on the 3rd line. Hes so under-rated, and worthy of a higher spot on the roster then that.

No doubt...He'd def be the #2 center on the Red Wings - especially if Dats/Hank are re-united.

Why does everyone assume that because I'm putting someone on the third line it's the same as saying "Dude, you suck s*** balls."

This isn't the 1980-1995 Red Wings. 45 minutes of even strength play per game. Say 9 for the fourth line. That leaves 36 for the top three. The top two lines I listed are basically equal, with Savard's a step behind. So maybe 12.5, 12, 11.5 minutes. Then you have special teams. Of the 7-8 minutes per game at special teams, Savard probably gets 2 minutes. He'd be getting around 14 minutes per game or so with some damn good players. Yes, his numbers probably drop a bit from being a 20-minute player. But I doubt he'd really give a s*** if he wins a Cup, or three or four.

Which would you prefer? 85-95 points a season with no Cups over five seasons, or 55-65 points a season with two-three Cups in the same five seasons?

I know my answer.

NO but the only way your boy Huds makes one of the top two lines is if Dats and Hank are not reunited, so you keep making lines with Huds on one of the top 2 lines, thus demoting a clear second line center to the 3rd line.

NO but the only way your boy Huds makes one of the top two lines is if Dats and Hank are not reunited, so you keep making lines with Huds on one of the top 2 lines, thus demoting a clear second line center to the 3rd line.

So we have 6 players who can score more than 57pts a season? Didn't think so.

Nice try, though. It typically doesn't benefit the team to try and bury a 2.875 million dollar scoring winger on the checking line when he isn't an effective checker.

Drake whom are you refering to?

You would put Hudler in the top 6 over Savard? Or Homer? (he is only useful there) or Mule?

I won't bother making lines, but since it has been stated that Z and D will be paired together, most likely with Homer.

That puts Flip, Mule and Savard, or I suppose Hud Mule Savard if you like.

And a third line of Bert Abby/Flip Huds/Cleary something along those lines. I would rather have Flip in the top 6 than Hudler, myself.

Instead you would rather have Hudler in the top six and Savard centering the third line? (this was what my comment was based on, Eva wanting Savard to center the third line)

Edit: Since after all the premise of my post was that Savard would (He won't be so the point is moot) be a Wing next season, and I am not sure but the 4th not third line is the checking line IMO, the third line especially in Det is a scoring line.

Edited by Opie

Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves

Abdelkader/Helm/Cleary

Draper

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Coburn

Meech

...top line? :hysterical:

You would put Hudler in the top 6 over Savard? Or Homer? (he is only useful there) or Mule?

I won't bother making lines, but since it has been stated that Z and D will be paired together, most likely with Homer.

And a third line of Bert Abby/Flip Huds/Cleary something along those lines. I would rather have Flip in the top 6 than Hudler, myself.

Instead you would rather have Hudler in the top six and Savard centering the third line? (this was what my comment was based on, Eva wanting Savard to center the third line)

Edit: Since after all the premise of my post was that Savard would (He won't be so the point is moot) be a Wing next season, and I am not sure but the 4th not third line is the checking line IMO, the third line especially in Det is a scoring line.

These are the same slappies that think Hudler is better than Savard or even Bobby Ryan. I don't know how many times it needs to be explained... This team is heads and tails better with Savard or Ryan on it than Hudler. Not knocking Hudler and his potential 50 plus points, but not one person can put up a legit argument that he is better than Ryan or Savard. We are just speaking of potential when we say he is expected to score 70 points, but the POTENTIAL of Ryan or Savard is superstardom...

I thought I recently read that Detroit wasn't even on the list after all.

Here is what I recently read, I just found it.

Toronto as the front-runner for family reasons. Chicago, Montreal, Ottawa and Philadelphia are the others, according to multiple media reports.

link

I wasn't really thinking about the lines with Savard. My mind was on the lines without FA signings. Sorry.

Yeah, if we had Savard as the 3rd line centre I'd be more than happy to see Hudler as the recipient of his passes. Savard is a world class centre so that would make our 3rd line insane.

These are the same slappies that think Hudler is better than Savard or even Bobby Ryan. I don't know how many times it needs to be explained... This team is heads and tails better with Savard or Ryan on it than Hudler. Not knocking Hudler and his potential 50 plus points, but not one person can put up a legit argument that he is better than Ryan or Savard. We are just speaking of potential when we say he is expected to score 70 points, but the POTENTIAL of Ryan or Savard is superstardom...

Do you post about anything other than Hudler? I swear it's like he slept with your wife or something.

While you're at it why not drop Lidstrom down to the 3rd pairing?...It'll really improve Ericsson's game.

Actually, I would pair Ericsson with Lidstrom next season FYI. Kronwall with Rafalski and Kindl with Stuart. That's how I would start anyway, unless Meech outplays Ericsson/Kindl going into the season, at which point Meech probably lines up with Stuart. Just because a player is on a certain line doesn't mean he's getting 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 minutes. It's not like every second of every even strength shift Lidstrom and Rafalski were always together, and when changing they ALWAYS hit the bench within a second or two of each other.

Get realistic here. Your top six forwards don't HAVE to be all on your top two lines, nor do your top three on your top line. In fact, both of those ideas, IMO, take away from your team's depth considerably unless you have a strong defensive shutdown line as your third line. My Bert/Savard/Eaves line was intended to take advantage of the fact that A) Savard is a great playmaker, B) Bert has a strong net presence, and C) Eaves is the kind of speedy winger with a good shot that tends to work well alongside Savard. I already explained that combo. Hudler fits better with Z and Franzen IMO, while Flip fits better with Dats and Homer. It's not a matter of "Hudler has to be on the first line" because any one of the top three lines could be the "first line" on any given night, based on which line is playing the best. Granted, the Savard line isn't quite as stacked, but there's no reason it can't get hot and have some great nights, or even hot streaks.

If you want to put Savard on the top two lines and put the old eurotwin line back together and you are absolutely set on keeping it forever, then here's your unit.

Dats/Z/Homer

Hudler/Savard/Franzen

Cleary/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Abdelkader/Helm/Eaves

Draper

Yes, the top line is loaded. But the second line and the third line are not going to provide nearly as much offense. Do you think this setup provides as much scoring as my lineup with a third line of Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves does? I doubt it. Franzen will be heavily focused on because the next best scorer on his line is Hudler, instead of Z, and the D/Z/H line will see much heavier defensive coverage because the other team can plan for one big line instead of two. And the third line can't make up for that missing offense because it's less offensively skilled than my third line is.

Of course it doesn't matter, because Savard isn't coming to Detroit for Stuart; it would require a forward - most likely Filppula or (if he waives his NTC) Cleary - going the other way, plus likely Ericsson or Kindl and a 4th-5th round pick, and Detroit would get Savard and maybe a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Do you post about anything other than Hudler? I swear it's like he slept with your wife or something.

yes, yes I do. But considering this thread is basically about Hudler and Savard, and even the OP said trade Hudler for Savard, I guess there should be no problem that I post about Hudler. ALso since I really dislike him, I naturally gravitate towards other threads that are about him, so it seems like thats all I post about. I do give him his credit and agree he will make this team better, but he is not the answer to the Stanley Cup. This team needs to get a hell of a lot better than just adding Hudler if they want to win it all again. That being said, maybe he did sleep with my wife, at least that would explain my dislike for the guy! :P

Filppula>Hudler

And we all know my opinion is fact, so thats the end of it...were we even talking about that? I didn't read the thread as it all seemed to be about that little midget known as Hudler. I would not like to spend time reading about him in any sense.