• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#121 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Savard at 4 a year would be a really good pick up, however it would be center overload again. I guess though you could then reunite Hank and Pav.

It would require Flip and a prospect I think, I don't see them wanting 2 roster players as they are sort of against the cap and need to sign Wheeler and Boychuk.

You might be on to something here. It does kind of make you wonder about a glut at center. The nice thing about Val is that he seems to be capable of playing wing when needed. But as you point out, you could reunite Hank and Pav, and play Savard with the Mule on the wing. That could be deadly.

Do we even know if Boston would want Val? It doesn't really solve their glut at center either. I would think they would want a winger, which the Red Wings don't have to offer. So it probably makes it hard to complete any swap.

#122 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

It doesn't make much sense for the Leafs to get him, which is probably why Burke will trade for him :lol:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#123 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

I don't know what Toronto could offer him. The only thing is Kaberle but he doesn't provide any cap relief and I doubt they make that trade Kaberle for Savard straight up.

Just the second overall pick next year too! lol.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#124 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I don't know what Toronto could offer him. The only thing is Kaberle but he doesn't provide any cap relief and I doubt they make that trade Kaberle for Savard straight up.

Right. Burke keeps doing interviews where he says all these big names he's going to trade for and/or sign, and my reaction is, "How?!"

lol, I guess it's all part of his pipe dream of winning the Stanley Cup in 5 years. Again my reaction is, "How?!"
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#125 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Bottom line is Savard is a better play then clearly.

Jessica Alba is prettier than Rosie O'Donnell.

What's your point?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#126 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Jessica Alba is prettier than Rosie O'Donnell.

What's your point?

Rosie O'Donnel absolutely killed any credibility "Weight Watchers" had. They paid the ***** a lot of money to use their system and she hasn't lost 1 pound in 15 years.

At least George Costanza is making a killing off Jenny Craig. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kessel/Savard re-union...but what exactly does Toronto have to offer? Grabovski & Finger for Savard? If Burke pulls that off I'll consider him the messiah promised to us in the old testament.

#127 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

How about a three-way deal between Detroit, Boston, and Philadelphia?

From Boston: G Tim Thomas and C Marc Savard
From Detroit: D Brad Stuart
From Philadelphia: C Daniel Briere, D Braydon Coburn

To Boston: C Daniel Briere
To Detroit: C Marc Savard, D Braydon Coburn
To Philadelphia: G Tim Thomas and D Brad Stuart

Solves Boston's Tim Thomas issue, brings Savard to Detroit, solves Philly's goaltending questions and forward issues.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#128 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

Solves Boston's Tim Thomas issue, brings Savard to Detroit, solves Philly's goaltending questions and forward issues.

Stuart is a good defenseman and all. But there is no way we could get Savard and Coburn for just Stuart. Even if it is a 3 team deal. Maybe Kronwall, but definitely not Stuart. And since there's no way I would want to give up Nick jr, I just don't see this scenario going down.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#129 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

I'm sure Philly is going to want to send away their best playoff performer from this last season; that'd be a great way to start out their attempt to reach the Cup finals again. And I'm absolutely confident they'd love to add a very expensive ($5m) goaltender whose bad performance in the prior season got him benched.

Good one, Eva.

Edited by Crymson, 28 June 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#130 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

Stuart is a good defenseman and all. But there is no way we could get Savard and Coburn for just Stuart. Even if it is a 3 team deal. Maybe Kronwall, but definitely not Stuart. And since there's no way I would want to give up Nick jr, I just don't see this scenario going down.

There would probably be mid-round picks involved somehow, I was just dealing with the roster players. Detroit probably gives up 2 picks somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round, which both end up going to Boston.

That would provide the following lineup:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen
Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves
Abdelkader/Helm/Cleary
Draper

Lidstrom/Ericsson
Kronwall/Rafalski
Kindl/Coburn
Meech

Savard/Eaves is a particular combo that I like; Eaves and Kessel are not terribly different players offensively. Both are fast players with good shots. The major difference is that one of them got to play with one of the league's five best playmakers almost 20 minutes a game. Savard has always worked well with a speedy winger who can shoot; this was true in Boston, Atlanta, and even in Calgary. He was feeding Kovalchuk's during Kovalchuk's best years. In Calgary he worked well when he was played with Iginla and/or V.Bure, both of whom are speedy wingers who have decent shots. He's the classic playmaking center.

Edited by eva unit zero, 28 June 2010 - 02:02 AM.

#131 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:19 AM

I'm sure Philly is going to want to send away their best playoff performer from this last season; that'd be a great way to start out their attempt to reach the Cup finals again. And I'm absolutely confident they'd love to add a very expensive ($5m) goaltender whose bad performance in the prior season got him benched.

Good one, Eva.

Briere is Philadelphia's second oldest forward and most expensive player. None of their other top-nine forwards have reached 30, while Briere is 32 and under contract for five more seasons. If they can't sign Nabokov, which it sounds like they are having troubles, then Thomas would be a good way to go. Yes, he lost his starting job; but to be fair, Rask had a phenomenal season. Thomas had 43 starts, 17 wins, a .915sv%, and 5 shutouts. He had a better season that a good number of goalies who kept their starting position on good teams. He outperformed Roberto Luongo and Pekka Rinne, and he had a much better regular season than Antti Niemi, who everyone on this board this should be getting $4m-$5m because he was last year's Cup winner. You do recall that Thomas just won the Vezina the season before last, right? And as for the playoffs, Thomas' career playoff numbers are .926sv% and 2.16 GAA with 1 shutout in 18 games played. Arguing that it was Thomas playing poorly and not Rask playing well is like saying "Yzerman playing poorly is why Fedorov took over the top line job in 1993-94 and went on to score 120 points and win the Hart that year." It's just not true.

#132 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Thought nabby was going to Philly?
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#133 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Thought nabby was going to Philly?

His exclusive negotiating rights were traded there. He has not signed a deal.

Nabokov is still a UFA in three days.

#134 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

No player can make Bertuzzi not turn the puck over or get bunk calls because he plays with only one hand on the stick all the time.

Bertuzzi wouldn't be turning over the puck as much if Savard was his center; Savard would be doing most the work of getting the puck in the other teams end of the ice...All Bert would have to do is park his large frame in front of the opposing goalie for a rebound/deflection, or near the net for an easy tap in.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#135 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Bertuzzi wouldn't be turning over the puck as much if Savard was his center; Savard would be doing most the work of getting the puck in the other teams end of the ice...All Bert would have to do is park his large frame in front of the opposing goalie for a rebound/deflection, or near the net for an easy tap in.

Agreed. While I'm not very fond of Savards contract I've always viewed him as one of the most underrated players in the game.

97pts in 05/06
96pts in 06/07
78pts in 07/08
88pts in 08/09

Those kind of numbers are worthy of recognition but the guy never gets his credit. He's always been viewed as an afterthought, which is a damn shame.

If this son of a ***** put up these kind of numbers in a Maple Leafs uniform he would be declared a national hero! ;)

Edited by puffy, 28 June 2010 - 09:16 PM.

#136 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

Agreed. While I'm not very fond of Savards contract I've always viewed him as one of the most underrated players in the game.

97pts in 05/06
96pts in 06/07
78pts in 07/08
88pts in 08/09

Those kind of numbers are worthy of recognition but the guy never gets his credit. He's always been viewed as an afterthought, which is a damn shame.

If this son of a ***** put up these kind of numbers in a Maple Leafs uniform he would be declared a national hero! ;)

As of right now he's 1 of a very few players that's rumoured to be available, and could get the Maple Leafs offense going, and potentially into the playoffs...Kinda surprised nothing was done this past weekend concerning Kaberle; maybe Burke is waiting to see what pans out come July 1st.

#137 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

As of right now he's 1 of a very few players that's rumoured to be available, and could get the Maple Leafs offense going, and potentially into the playoffs...Kinda surprised nothing was done this past weekend concerning Kaberle; maybe Burke is waiting to see what pans out come July 1st.

I think he didn't trade Kaberle because he knows the offers are going to get better after July 1st. He may be intimidating and annoying, but he's not an idiot. He's waiting until certain teams get desperate before he makes his move.

Edited by puffy, 28 June 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#138 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

There would probably be mid-round picks involved somehow, I was just dealing with the roster players. Detroit probably gives up 2 picks somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round, which both end up going to Boston.

That would provide the following lineup:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen
Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Bertuzzi/Savard/Eaves
Abdelkader/Helm/Cleary
Draper

Lidstrom/Ericsson
Kronwall/Rafalski
Kindl/Coburn
Meech

Savard/Eaves is a particular combo that I like; Eaves and Kessel are not terribly different players offensively. Both are fast players with good shots. The major difference is that one of them got to play with one of the league's five best playmakers almost 20 minutes a game. Savard has always worked well with a speedy winger who can shoot; this was true in Boston, Atlanta, and even in Calgary. He was feeding Kovalchuk's during Kovalchuk's best years. In Calgary he worked well when he was played with Iginla and/or V.Bure, both of whom are speedy wingers who have decent shots. He's the classic playmaking center.

No offense to your posting but I just had to comment on this.
I don't think that Savard would accept a role on the 3rd line. Hes so under-rated, and worthy of a higher spot on the roster then that.

Posted Image

#139 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

No offense to your posting but I just had to comment on this.
I don't think that Savard would accept a role on the 3rd line. Hes so under-rated, and worthy of a higher spot on the roster then that.

No doubt...He'd def be the #2 center on the Red Wings - especially if Dats/Hank are re-united.

#140 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

No doubt...He'd def be the #2 center on the Red Wings - especially if Dats/Hank are re-united.

Why does everyone assume that because I'm putting someone on the third line it's the same as saying "Dude, you suck s*** balls."

This isn't the 1980-1995 Red Wings. 45 minutes of even strength play per game. Say 9 for the fourth line. That leaves 36 for the top three. The top two lines I listed are basically equal, with Savard's a step behind. So maybe 12.5, 12, 11.5 minutes. Then you have special teams. Of the 7-8 minutes per game at special teams, Savard probably gets 2 minutes. He'd be getting around 14 minutes per game or so with some damn good players. Yes, his numbers probably drop a bit from being a 20-minute player. But I doubt he'd really give a s*** if he wins a Cup, or three or four.

Which would you prefer? 85-95 points a season with no Cups over five seasons, or 55-65 points a season with two-three Cups in the same five seasons?

I know my answer.