• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

I'd give him a shot. Is it likely that he'll get bought out? I haven't been keeping up on the situation to much.

Posted Image

#22 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

they will buy him out and he sucks. sorry to burst your bubble cheechoo lovers. he will never be the player he was...for those couple great years.

#23 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

It would be foolish not to sign him if he were willing to play for league minimum. Cheechoo hasn't been so great lately but all joking aside, he has lots of potential. Does not matter if he played on a line with 'X,' or was surrounded by 'Y' and 'Z' in his glory years in San Jose. We're the Detroit Red Wings and we've been home to the best 'Y's' and 'Z's' to ever play the game.

If an environment like ours (yes, ours - not Ottawa's) could spark that potential for dirt cheap it would be the steal of the season. Not only that but his broke-ass, joke-ass would owe us for saving his career and he'd likely re-sign for a very grateful, very reasonable cap hit. We lack rightys anyway i say give him a crack at NHL hockey on a real team.

#24 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Is he still a slow skater and does he still struggle too much defensively?

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Many people on these boards seem to have some strange idea that Cheechoo's decline was due to no longer being with Thornton and that all the only thing necessary to restore him to elite levels is to put him back with a skilled playmaker. This is nonsense on the highest level. The Sharks had every reason to keep Cheechoo and Thornton together after the success they had in the '05-'06 season. Cheechoo's scoring did not decline because he was taken off of Thornton's line; he was, rather, taken off of Thornton's line because his (Cheechoo's) scoring had dropped to levels unacceptable on a scoring line and it made more sense to put someone on Thornton's wing who was capable of scoring goals. Cheechoo effectively played himself off San Jose's scoring lines and eventually off the team, and thereafter into Ottawa's minor league system. The problem was with him, not with those around him. There has been much speculation as to why Cheechoo has seen such a precipitous decline in his scoring numbers over the past several years. Given that he was scoring goals before Thornton came to the team---thus eliminating any notion that his success was due to Thornton's efforts (watch this video to see some of his many individual efforts in '05-'06)---and given that his hernia surgery coincided with an extreme drop in his production, one might think that post-injury woes are what continue to plague his performance. He has always been a hard worker, so I don't think that's the issue; and loss of confidence cannot turn a 50+ goal scorer into a minors-caliber player.

#26 cmonster

cmonster

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Cheechoo has intrigued me as well. I would be willing to give him a tryout. If makes the team fine, if not no loss. But I think he could add some scoring to the 3rd line. Put him with Helm and Abdelkader and they could do some damage.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Cheechoo has intrigued me as well. I would be willing to give him a tryout. If makes the team fine, if not no loss. But I think he could add some scoring to the 3rd line. Put him with Helm and Abdelkader and they could do some damage.

He failed to add any scoring to the 3rd lines of San Jose and Ottawa. I think you're really overestimating him.

#28 Erik327

Erik327

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I'd be open to Cheechoo only at the league minimum. He's got acceptable scoring / playmaking skills, and is a solid agitator. He wasn't recieved well in Ottawa, but has a history that is well read. I doubt he'd work well with our system, but for a two way contract, it'd be worth the risk.

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'd be open to Cheechoo only at the league minimum. He's got acceptable scoring / playmaking skills, and is a solid agitator.

Are you serious? You really think that the guy who played himself off of two teams and can no longer rack up points to save his life has "acceptable scoring/playmaking skills"? And since when has Cheechoo been an agitator?

To give you a proper context by which to judge Cheechoo, I'll give you the following statistic: Jason Williams---almost indisputably the team's worst player this season---racked up more points in 44 games this season than did Cheechoo in 61.