• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

Getting Rid of diving

Rate this topic

Now that we can see how ridiculous all of the pansy diving that is going on in the world cup looks like, it is time for the nhl to make a stance on diving.

I think all diving should be a 2 min penalty plus a 2 min unsportsmanlike, 10 min for the second dive in a game, and have the original penalty to the other player not be called, just the diving penalty. Also I think players should be fined hard for blatant dives.

Hate diving, but I think there are other more pressing issues that should be dealt with first. Diving is a part of the game, thankfully not nearly as much as it is in soccer, but I think it will always be there. Its a technique to draw a penalty, and oftentimes it works.

I doubt they will change the rules on it, but I really wish they would enforce it.

My biggest issue with diving penalties is that it seems like whenever a dive is called on a player, another penalty is called on the other team that cancels it out. This has never made any sense to me. If the player was diving, then a penalty wasn't committed against him. Or if it WAS a real penalty, than the other player obviously wasn't diving. Boggles my mind that this is how its done.

I also believe they should review dives that the referees missed and assess fines, embellishment on a high stick is one thing, and I don't really consider it diving unless you really were not hit by a stick, but the sheer amount of diving in this league is reaching an unbearable level.

My biggest issue with diving penalties is that it seems like whenever a dive is called on a player, another penalty is called on the other team that cancels it out. This has never made any sense to me. If the player was diving, then a penalty wasn't committed against him. Or if it WAS a real penalty, than the other player obviously wasn't diving. Boggles my mind that this is how its done.

I think sometimes it makes sense and other times it doesn't. On a tripping call, I agree, it has to be either a trip or a dive. However with such weak hooking calls being handed out, it's certainly possible that a hook and a dive can occur on the same play.

umm...no.

At least it shouldn't be. I cant stand it when athletes dive,fake or embellish to draw a penalty/foul regardless of the sport.

Umm... yes, it is. I didn't say it should be. Just that it is.

They just need to start calling them. They have the penalty, its in the rule books, but they don't call them. I don't think anything needs to change with the rules, just send a memo out to refs and GMs saying they will crack down on it. Ideally they call a lot of them early in the season and the players stop doing it.

They just need to make the calls like this. I couldn't believe it when it happened I was like "Wait what? A diving penalty? About time they called that s***."

Just make the calls and the diving will start to fade away. Or at least the real obvious crap like this.

(No I'm not using this video to bash Crosby, it just happens to be a perfect example)

Edited by Original-Six

The playoffs last season were a joke with all the diving and such, not to mention all the bad calls indirectly called. Nabakov was one of the worst for this and hes a goaltender, he dove against Colorado, Detroit and Chicago when he was barely touched and got the call everytime.

Rules against diving need to be enforced. It's such bulls*** that players can get away with anything. If a ref thinks a player is diving, then he needs to be penalized. If he's wrong and it was legit, it's not like the refs always make the right calls anyway.

I also believe they should review dives that the referees missed and assess fines

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm so sick of diving and I agree that's one that should be assessed after the game. I'd like to have them review tapes for dives during games, but in reality it'd just be too onerous. Goalies as well.

The playoffs last season were a joke with all the diving and such, not to mention all the bad calls indirectly called. Nabakov was one of the worst for this and hes a goaltender, he dove against Colorado, Detroit and Chicago when he was barely touched and got the call everytime.

So did Hasek. He should have been called for some dives in his time.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm so sick of diving and I agree that's one that should be assessed after the game. I'd like to have them review tapes for dives during games, but in reality it'd just be too onerous. Goalies as well.

So did Hasek. He should have been called for some dives in his time.

im not denying that, im just talking about this years playoffs, I was very disappointed with a lot of the calls.

It would have been nice to really pay attention to this rule during the San Jose series. Especially with Setoguchi...

That being said, I highly doubt they change anything. There's too much room for error. Though, I do agree that if diving is called, the other penalty shouldn't be; it doesn't make much sense to me at all.

So it might make the correct call percentage go from 50% to 49%? Big deal.

I'm not saying that's why I personally don't want diving calls... I'm saying that'd be the league's stance. Pretty much anything that involves too much discretion goes downhill with them. "Intent to blow the whistle" being one of them.

I would love for something to be done about diving. It's the worst part of just about any sport.

Luckily it's not as bad in the NHL as some other sports *cough* NBA *cough*

Look at soccer, I mean no offense to soccer fans, but I have found the world cup to be just about unwatchable. The diving is a joke.

The problem, like a few have said, is that it's such a hard call for a ref to make in real time. People dive because it works. I'd love to see a post game fine system implemented but it would never happen.

to be honest, i still think they need to call fewer penalties... or at least make it tougher to draw a penalty. If you just tap a guy on the wrist you get called for a hook... whereas it should be (imo) a hook IF the player slows down. It would make the league a whole lot tougher and in theory would reduce the flopping on every little thing.