• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

Now that we can see how ridiculous all of the pansy diving that is going on in the world cup looks like, it is time for the nhl to make a stance on diving.

I think all diving should be a 2 min penalty plus a 2 min unsportsmanlike, 10 min for the second dive in a game, and have the original penalty to the other player not be called, just the diving penalty. Also I think players should be fined hard for blatant dives.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

It won't be as long as Bettman's bottom ***** likes to use it occasionally as part of his repertoire.

#3 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hate diving, but I think there are other more pressing issues that should be dealt with first. Diving is a part of the game, thankfully not nearly as much as it is in soccer, but I think it will always be there. Its a technique to draw a penalty, and oftentimes it works.

I doubt they will change the rules on it, but I really wish they would enforce it.

My biggest issue with diving penalties is that it seems like whenever a dive is called on a player, another penalty is called on the other team that cancels it out. This has never made any sense to me. If the player was diving, then a penalty wasn't committed against him. Or if it WAS a real penalty, than the other player obviously wasn't diving. Boggles my mind that this is how its done.
Posted Image

#4 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

I also believe they should review dives that the referees missed and assess fines, embellishment on a high stick is one thing, and I don't really consider it diving unless you really were not hit by a stick, but the sheer amount of diving in this league is reaching an unbearable level.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#5 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

My biggest issue with diving penalties is that it seems like whenever a dive is called on a player, another penalty is called on the other team that cancels it out. This has never made any sense to me. If the player was diving, then a penalty wasn't committed against him. Or if it WAS a real penalty, than the other player obviously wasn't diving. Boggles my mind that this is how its done.

I think sometimes it makes sense and other times it doesn't. On a tripping call, I agree, it has to be either a trip or a dive. However with such weak hooking calls being handed out, it's certainly possible that a hook and a dive can occur on the same play.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#6 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Diving is a part of the game,

umm...no.
At least it shouldn't be. I cant stand it when athletes dive,fake or embellish to draw a penalty/foul regardless of the sport.

Edited by Original-Six, 25 June 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#7 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

umm...no.
At least it shouldn't be. I cant stand it when athletes dive,fake or embellish to draw a penalty/foul regardless of the sport.

Umm... yes, it is. I didn't say it should be. Just that it is.
Posted Image

#8 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Umm... yes, it is. I didn't say it should be. Just that it is.

Thats why i said it shouldn't be

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

I like 2 minutes for diving, regardless of how many times per game or per season one commits the penalty. No fines, that's a bit ridiculous IMO, but I would like to see the other penalty negated if a player dives on a legit penalty.

#10 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

They just need to start calling them. They have the penalty, its in the rule books, but they don't call them. I don't think anything needs to change with the rules, just send a memo out to refs and GMs saying they will crack down on it. Ideally they call a lot of them early in the season and the players stop doing it.
Posted Image

#11 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hard to call the dive in such a fast paced game when even on replays it isn't always definitive if the player embellished/dove on the call or not.

Posted Image

#12 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

They just need to make the calls like this. I couldn't believe it when it happened I was like "Wait what? A diving penalty? About time they called that s***."

Just make the calls and the diving will start to fade away. Or at least the real obvious crap like this.
(No I'm not using this video to bash Crosby, it just happens to be a perfect example)

Edited by Original-Six, 25 June 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#13 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

show this vid to nhl refs
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#14 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRQOekuYrP8
show this vid to nhl refs

You could show that or... you could show every game that Devin Setoguchi plays in. Either one is quite effective.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#15 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

The playoffs last season were a joke with all the diving and such, not to mention all the bad calls indirectly called. Nabakov was one of the worst for this and hes a goaltender, he dove against Colorado, Detroit and Chicago when he was barely touched and got the call everytime.

#16 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

Rules against diving need to be enforced. It's such bulls*** that players can get away with anything. If a ref thinks a player is diving, then he needs to be penalized. If he's wrong and it was legit, it's not like the refs always make the right calls anyway.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#17 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

I also believe they should review dives that the referees missed and assess fines

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm so sick of diving and I agree that's one that should be assessed after the game. I'd like to have them review tapes for dives during games, but in reality it'd just be too onerous. Goalies as well.

The playoffs last season were a joke with all the diving and such, not to mention all the bad calls indirectly called. Nabakov was one of the worst for this and hes a goaltender, he dove against Colorado, Detroit and Chicago when he was barely touched and got the call everytime.

So did Hasek. He should have been called for some dives in his time.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#18 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm so sick of diving and I agree that's one that should be assessed after the game. I'd like to have them review tapes for dives during games, but in reality it'd just be too onerous. Goalies as well.

So did Hasek. He should have been called for some dives in his time.

im not denying that, im just talking about this years playoffs, I was very disappointed with a lot of the calls.

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

It would have been nice to really pay attention to this rule during the San Jose series. Especially with Setoguchi...

That being said, I highly doubt they change anything. There's too much room for error. Though, I do agree that if diving is called, the other penalty shouldn't be; it doesn't make much sense to me at all.

#20 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

There's too much room for error.

So it might make the correct call percentage go from 50% to 49%? Big deal.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!