• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

So it might make the correct call percentage go from 50% to 49%? Big deal.

I'm not saying that's why I personally don't want diving calls... I'm saying that'd be the league's stance. Pretty much anything that involves too much discretion goes downhill with them. "Intent to blow the whistle" being one of them.

#22 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

The league was effective when it fined for diving and published the fines (using video review). The NHLPA threw a fit and it was done away with.

It just can't be effectively deterred at ice level.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,948 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

I agree with the OP.

A few years ago diving was called frequently, but now it's become ignored and even rewarded, which is bad for hockey.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I would love for something to be done about diving. It's the worst part of just about any sport.

Luckily it's not as bad in the NHL as some other sports *cough* NBA *cough*

Look at soccer, I mean no offense to soccer fans, but I have found the world cup to be just about unwatchable. The diving is a joke.

The problem, like a few have said, is that it's such a hard call for a ref to make in real time. People dive because it works. I'd love to see a post game fine system implemented but it would never happen.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#25 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

to be honest, i still think they need to call fewer penalties... or at least make it tougher to draw a penalty. If you just tap a guy on the wrist you get called for a hook... whereas it should be (imo) a hook IF the player slows down. It would make the league a whole lot tougher and in theory would reduce the flopping on every little thing.

#26 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Some of the blatantly obvious dives in this league still aren't called under the current standards.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#27 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

It won't be as long as Bettman's bottom ***** likes to use it occasionally every other shift as part of his repertoire.

FTFY.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#28 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

FTFY.

Yeah well a "f*** this f*** you" to you too!

...Oh... The other one... Yeah... Sorry...

#29 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

What would the Pens do without Sidney?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#30 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Yeah well a "f*** this f*** you" to you too!

...Oh... The other one... Yeah... Sorry...

:lol:

I just don't think there will ever be a serious crackdown on diving unless it's a different set of players consistently doing it - players like Avery would get it called every time; players like Crosby would never get it called. It's the same thing when it comes to headshots. Guys like Pronger and Cooke get a free pass; players like Carcillo or Downie are made examples of.

ABV_sig.png

#31 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:40 AM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#32 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqp-2nyJ4l8

Maybe he wouldn't get called for interference so much if he didn't actually interfere with the goalie every game?

and to those of you calling Crosby a diver, maybe you should take a closer look at Franzen. Or maybe just take notice of how everytime an opposing player touches Holmstrom he goes flying into the goalie, even if he was pushed in a direction that wouldn't put him into the goalie.

#33 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

and to those of you calling Crosby a diver, maybe you should take a closer look at Franzen. Or maybe just take notice of how everytime an opposing player touches Holmstrom he goes flying into the goalie, even if he was pushed in a direction that wouldn't put him into the goalie.

Here's my evaluation of Franzen's diving past. He actually doesn't dive/embellish all that often. However, when he does, it's so egregious that people will never ever forget it. They're just flat out embarrassing. So while it seems like he's deserving of the diver label, he's actually not. He just doesn't do it often enough and I'm pretty sure he doesn't do it as much as Bettman's bottom *****.

#34 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Here's my evaluation of Franzen's diving past. He actually doesn't dive/embellish all that often. However, when he does, it's so egregious that people will never ever forget it. They're just flat out embarrassing. So while it seems like he's deserving of the diver label, he's actually not. He just doesn't do it often enough and I'm pretty sure he doesn't do it as much as Bettman's bottom *****.

And he certainly doesn't do it when he gets touched by his own players. I happen to remember Crosby trying dramatically to sell a call...against Gonchar.

As for Holmstrom always interfering with the goalie? Uhn-uh. He's honed that part of his game to a science. He knows where he needs to be. Problem is, he USED to interfere more and as a result, he just gets reputation calls made against him now, sometimes in cases where, relatively speaking, he's nowhere near the goaltender. If anything, goaltenders have a habit of interfering with HIM. Unless the repeated hacks and slashes became legal when I wasn't watching, I mean.

ABV_sig.png

#35 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Maybe he wouldn't get called for interference so much if he didn't actually interfere with the goalie every game?

Posted Image

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Posted Image

You know I've been wanting to use the laughing baby reference instead of a cry baby reference. Just can't find the opportunity on here.

#37 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

i really dont recall mule ever diving. Does someone have a video of one. He is to powerful to ever fall, yet alone dive. Maybe back in peewee i guess.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#38 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... :unsure:

#39 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Great argument.

I wouldn't say I'm the one whining. The whiners are the ones that won't give up on something Crosby did in his first couple seasons.

Why is it every team that beats the Wings are immediately called divers? Is it really hard to see how your team has been winning for the last five years? The constant interference and picking is ridiculous.

Have you ever thought about the fact that you all cheer for a team of major *******? They aren't willing to stand up for themselves and their dirty play so eventually a guy like Kopecky drops his gloves and gets his face smashed in.

#40 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Great argument.

I wouldn't say I'm the one whining. The whiners are the ones that won't give up on something Crosby did in his first couple seasons.

Why is it every team that beats the Wings are immediately called divers? Is it really hard to see how your team has been winning for the last five years? The constant interference and picking is ridiculous.

Have you ever thought about the fact that you all cheer for a team of major *******? They aren't willing to stand up for themselves and their dirty play so eventually a guy like Kopecky drops his gloves and gets his face smashed in.

TROLL alert!!!!