No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

1st Round Pick (21), Riley Sheahan

Rate this topic

lol i forgot about Sheahan being arrested .....our prospects are on a roll

{eot}

Text Size

Two NHL prospects, both freshmen at Notre Dame, were arrested on Sunday in South Bend, Indiana, a local newspaper reported.

Riley Sheahan, a potential first round pick in 2010, and Kyle Palmieri, a first-round selection of the Anaheim Ducks at last year's draft, are now facing charges, according to the South Bend Tribune.

Sheahan, 18, is charged with public intoxication and minor alcohol consumption, while 19-year-old Palmieri is charged with two counts of resisting arrest and minor alcohol consumption.

According to a police report, an officer saw Palmieri, Sheahan and a third person standing in the back of a pickup truck at approximately 2:30am et on Sunday. When approached by an officer, Palmieri tried to run away, which led to a struggle, the paper reported. Then Palmieri allegedly reached for the officer's Taser.

The Tribune reported that the police said tests showed Palmieri's blood-alcohol level to be .10 percent and Sheahan's to be .12.

Palmieri was the 26th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Sheahan, of St. Catharines, Ontario, is the 22nd-ranked North American skater in the Central Scouting final rankings, having previously been fifth in the midterm rankings.

Each player registered 17 points in his first season with Notre Dame last season.

At Drake on the Wings site it says hes 19....maybe its wrong then

This is probably way premature, but it's just nice and fun to speculate sometimes. DO NOT take this seriously, critique all you want, but don't take this as a "I believe this is the way things actually will be" kind of post. More like, "maybe this could happen".

My hope is that this guy or Joakim Andersson or Justin Abdelkader, one of those dudes will allow Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play together full time.

“Without question he achieved quite a bit (as a freshman) for the youngest player in college hockey," says Notre Dame coach Jeff Jackson. "He was 17 years old and was playing up against 20-year-old players on a regular basis in practice and games, and he did extremely well. He was a freshman that came in and played a regular role in both our power play and penalty kill situation, so he was an important part of our team. He’s a very responsible player, very smart, and because of that I could use him in almost any situation. He’s more than a defensive forward; I know he can do quite a bit more offensively, and we’ll be relying on that in the future.”

When they were talking to him they said he liked the physical part of the game and playing gritty as well. I always like that, anyone know if he has a good physical and plays the body a lot or is he just more of a strong in the corners type of guy?

Can't complain, 6'2 200+ pounds and from somewhat near my hometown and from the town my university is in. Much better pick then Kabanov i must say

At Drake on the Wings site it says hes 19....maybe its wrong then

Weird... I've seen it listed as 18. Everywhere I look has his birth date listed as Dec. 7, 1991. But I'd trust the Wings official site over assorted drafting sites.

When they were talking to him they said he liked the physical part of the game and playing gritty as well. I always like that, anyone know if he has a good physical and plays the body a lot or is he just more of a strong in the corners type of guy?

Can't complain, 6'2 200+ pounds and from somewhat near my hometown and from the town my university is in. Much better pick then Kabanov i must say

Worst case he gives us a big shut-down forward with size and smarts. Best case he's a 1st line centre who can use his size against his opponents. I'm hoping he grows another inch or two as well. It's exciting that he's already filled out to 200lbs, though.

One thing his coach said is he would like Sheahan to be more physical so im assuming there is a lot of room to step it up in that department.

Well next on the Draft list is hopefully

-RIGHT!!! handed shot !

-BIG NASTY D MAN no smaller then 6'1

-potential 3rd/4th liner that drops the mits and can put points up (LUCIC,NEIL) style player

-Puck moving D man few more years to develope by that time Lids and Raffy are probably gone

If we can even get a couple guys that fit that ill be real happy, all of them i might streak down a main street.

maybe

Zach Trotman fought a few times big boy 6'4 202lbs and shoots right,defense

Adrew Yogan hes a C has a bunch of fights he avg needs to work on his balance 63GP 25G 30A 97PIM last season with the Erie Otters hes 6'3 202lbs

Mark Stone 6'2 185lbs RW listed and shoots R plays for the Brandon Wheat Kings 39GP 11G 17A 25PIM

Zach Trotman fought a few times big boy 6'4 202lbs and shoots right,defense

Adrew Yogan hes a C has a bunch of fights he avg needs to work on his balance 63GP 25G 30A 97PIM last season with the Erie Otters hes 6'3 202lbs

I'd like to hear more about these two.

Here's what I found on one of the guys King mentioned (found on this site):

51. Andrew Yogan, Center, Erie- OHL:

Andrew Yogan has the chance to make the state of Florida really proud this year if he is drafted. Yogan is an interesting prospect that has a lot of good tools around his game. His skating is good; the stride is smooth and has a decent top speed. He has a big frame and a long reach which he uses at times in the offensive zone to strip the puck off defenders. He will use his size on the attack to pound defenders or go to the traffic areas for puck. He’s at his best with the puck on his stick, showing some flash and creativity. His decision-making can be questionable to at times downright awful and even with a good set of skills, that may be his real hamper him as he progresses in his career. He doesn’t produce enough offense to project as a serious offensive contributor down the road.

The comment on his hockey smarts might hurt him for the Wings... they're pretty particular on drafting high hockey IQ kids.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Apparently one of the Duck's scouts wanted the team to draft him at 12th before the draft started. Compared to Getzlaf. Anyway you cut it, he's basically a high school aged kids playing agaisnt kids far older than him. In a few years, this pick could be looking like a steal.

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/6/8/1507963/sheahan-kabanov-and-the-danger-of

Apparently one of the Duck's scouts wanted the team to draft him at 12th before the draft started. Compared to Getzlaf. Anyway you cut it, he's basically a high school aged kids playing agaisnt kids far older than him. In a few years, this pick could be looking like a steal.

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/6/8/1507963/sheahan-kabanov-and-the-danger-of

Yea, unfortunately they were too busy drafting a future #1 defenceman...

BTW I couldn't help but be annoyed watching Florida have fun with all those picks. I think Kenny dropped the ball with Leino, Quincey, Lebda, etc and we should have more picks this year and last year. Bummer. Hopefully they pull off some steals tomorrow

Edited by Bannedforlife

i would just like to note that the draft jersey he is wearing Delvecchio's retired #10. I know that all the teams draft jerseys have the number of the draft year, but i wonder if Kenny, babs and the gang who went up on stage had something to say to bettman about it. If anything it was a rare opportunity to see a #10 wings jersey. i hope its a good omen of how this draft class will turn out for the wings

i would just like to note that the draft jersey he is wearing Delvecchio's retired #10. I know that all the teams draft jerseys have the number of the draft year, but i wonder if Kenny, babs and the gang who went up on stage had something to say to bettman about it[/b[. If anything it was a rare opportunity to see a #10 wings jersey. i hope its a good omen of how this draft class will turn out for the wings

I doubt it. It's not like Bettman is forcing the Wings to let a player wear #10 or another retired number.

I wasn't so crash hot on the pick when I first heard it. That is often the case on draft day as you've got your hopes set on picking someone else for whatever reason. At the end of the day the vast majority of these kids are at least 2-3 years, maybe even longer, away from ever hitting the NHL or making any meaningful contribution. You've just got to back your talent scouts to see something in the player they selected.

This is what Ken Holland had to say about Sheahan:

The thing is, everything about his game is pretty much sound. He's a great skater, he's tremendous defensively, he can play PP and PK, he's got good size, so taking all this into consideration you'd imagine at the very least he'd develop into a 3rd/4th liner. However he does have offensive potential, it just didn't quite surface last season but he showed it in juniors and he has fine playmaking skills and can finish. As Holland said, should the offence come around he'll develop into a beauty. :thumbup:

I hope he is the good Canadian 1st rounder I have been hoping for.... sucks that we have to wait 3-5 years to see him though.

i would just like to note that the draft jersey he is wearing Delvecchio's retired #10. I know that all the teams draft jerseys have the number of the draft year, but i wonder if Kenny, babs and the gang who went up on stage had something to say to bettman about it. If anything it was a rare opportunity to see a #10 wings jersey. i hope its a good omen of how this draft class will turn out for the wings

We'll get to see it in a couple of years again. :)

What year did they start doing that anyway? Was it with Cheli back in LXII?

This Sheahan kid sounds good, and I do have to admit that the name reminded me of Shanny.

Further conformation that Buffalo did indeed want Sheahan:

The Sabres talked to Pysyk only once, on Thursday afternoon, because they wanted University of Notre Dame centre Riley Sheahan. But when Sheahan went No. 21 to the Detroit Red Wings, Buffalo changed gears.

So he was obviously right there. The Wings said they had 4-5 guys they wanted at #21, but felt so strongly on Sheahan that they didn't want to trade down.

Encouraging. :thumbup:

Because none of us have drank under age in high school or anything. They always turn out to be bad people :rolleyes:

Thank you!!!! Finally, someone else with a level-head about that whole drinking business. They're kids and yes, sometimes they drink, and yes, sometimes bad luck strikes and they get caught. Get over it, it's not like it's some character flaw. It's called part of growing up (he was 17 at college for the first time).

Because none of us have drank under age in high school or anything. They always turn out to be bad people :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think you can really compare a bunch of average LGW fans to a guy who's goal is to become a pro-athlete and play in the NHL.

Although the amount of NHL players who drink or have drinked a lot at the high school age is much bigger than most people would think. Not saying it's a good thing, but sometimes you have talent and you can "afford" the drinking. Some players have less talent and they need to work even harder.

Edited by Finnish Wing