• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

1st Round Pick (21), Riley Sheahan

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Yet it's a fact. I said not "work as hard". You still need to work hard. It's just the way it goes. More talented guys can get to the NHL with less working than less talented guys.

I know one Antti Niemi for example who weren't supposed to ever be a starter in the FEL, yet he worked hard all the time. Didn't have nearly as much talent as Tuukka Rask or Kari Lehtonen for example but just worked hard. Kari Lehtonen is an example of talent not working as hard. He's still an NHL goalie, but if he had only Niemi-like talent he would've never been even close to getting to the NHL. Tuukka Rask is both talented and hard worker and that's why he could be the best goalie in the World in the future.

So as rough at it sounds, you don't need to work as hard if you have more talent. Also, you don't need to have as much talent if you work hard. Still the stupidest thing you've heard here? This is the LGW after all...

Agreed. While it may be hard to admit for some people on this site, the "If you try hard enough, you can succeed at anything" attitude doesn't extend to pro sports nearly as much as people would like to believe.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

To all the apparent "booze and hockey don't mix" fans:

Gee, look how terrible Patrick Kane is when he gets drunk and beats cab drivers.... Surely his skill has taken a hit eh? Yeah... exactly. This is a prime example that just because you drink, doesn't mean you slide in the draft. Sheahan slid down in the draft because he was amazing in juniors and his offense took a hit because he was a youngster on a new team with older players and competitors, and being taught to play defense first. Oh and everything he was used to doing had changed when he went to UND, no family, making new friends, tough ass academics, etc...

He'll be a top 6 forward on this team in the future, if i'm wrong i'll kill, skin, cook, and eat the damn crow.

Sometimes getting caught can be the best thing for you, a wake up call to work harder and be more responsible.

This! A wake-up call is one of those stepping stones you use to become more mature when you're growing up. At least it was for me...

He'll be a top 6 forward on this team in the future, if i'm wrong i'll kill, skin, cook, and eat the damn crow.

:D You're a confident person. I like that. :thumbup:

To put it in perspective, I was a drinker/stoner in high school. The "good" kids only drank on weekends. That was 26 years ago.

What are the "good" kids doing now? Well, there's one who is the owner of a multi-million dollar business that he built from the ground up. Another is the editor of a well-known magazine. Another has an invention in the Smithsonian (technology division). Quite a few are pastors/teachers/counselors who are effecting people's lives in a positive way. There's an Army Major, a doctor, several farmers... the list goes on.

Those of us who were stoners/drinkers didn't fare so well. I won't go into details, but there have been some tragic ends to people's lives, and the rest of us have paid the price in some aspect or our lives.

My point is that there is a huge difference between going out and having a few, and making it a way of life. If he's only been caught once, I'm not worried about him.

From what I've read and heard around seems to be a quality pick. He did only get 6 goals in a defensive system which is understandable. His still young tho his going to get groomed for years to come, all tho his size and strength is going to give him a major boost in his production and cut his time in GR by half.

To all the apparent "booze and hockey don't mix" fans:

Gee, look how terrible Patrick Kane is when he gets drunk and beats cab drivers.... Surely his skill has taken a hit eh? Yeah... exactly. This is a prime example that just because you drink, doesn't mean you slide in the draft. Sheahan slid down in the draft because he was amazing in juniors and his offense took a hit because he was a youngster on a new team with older players and competitors, and being taught to play defense first. Oh and everything he was used to doing had changed when he went to UND, no family, making new friends, tough ass academics, etc...

Patrick Kane is a prime example of having elite talent and being in the NHL even when he probably hasn't worked as hard for it as many other guys.

Who would have guessed that a useful thread would get turned into a frivolous argument?

This pick is starting to grow on me the more I let it sink in. A two-way player is always going to be given a better opportunity to succeed in the Red Wings system so I suppose it makes sense to pick a player in the first round that fits within our coach's system and philosophy. He's already a pretty good size at 6'2 200 pounds so who knows what size he may eventually end up at by the time he legitimately challenges for a roster spot. Yes, he had a disappointing season in Notre Dame this year offensively but if you look at his junior totals there is obviously some serious offensive talent there. I wouldn't be surprised if he exploded offensively next year with getting top minutes and being more acclimated to playing against 20 year old men.

The only down side for me is that he plays on Notre Dame. :nonono:

Guest Heaten

So has anyone seen this guy play? Does he use his size and play a power forward type of game/play physical while putting up points and being strong defensively?

Here's a good story written up on him yesterday.

http://redwingscentr.../26_Sheahan.php

Let me just say it sounds like Red Wings' brass are very, very high on this kid. Sounds like they just stole another gem. He's exactly the type of player the Wings need. Is it fair to compare him to a Toews -type player? Sheahan has no holes in his game. He's just an all around solid player in just about every end of the ice.

In the story I linked above, notice this paragraph:

His numbers as a freshman certainly don't pop out at you, as he had just six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 37 games at Notre Dame. But the Red Wings weighed several factors. First, Sheahan was just 17 for the first half of the season. Second, he played in a defense-oriented system. Third, he actually played a couple of games on the blue line when Notre Dame faced injury problems.
Edited by Heaten

Here's a good story written up on him yesterday.

http://redwingscentr.../26_Sheahan.php

Let me just say it sounds like Red Wings' brass are very, very high on this kid. Sounds like they just stole another gem. He's exactly the type of player the Wings need. Is it fair to compare him to a Toews -type player? Sheahan has no holes in his game. He's just an all around solid player in just about every end of the ice.

In the story I linked above, notice this paragraph:

Nice, thanks. Seems like he is strong and uses that strength down low. A true power forward finally. I've been waiting for a big, Canadian power forward for a while. He's not as mean as I would like but I'm still happy with him.

I really hope he makes the world junior team. We had a few years there where we had prospects playing in the world juniors for Canada but haven't for a while now. Meech, Pyett, Helm all played for Canada all right in a row pretty much and Abby played against Helm that year. Would love to see Ferraro have a good start to the season and both he and Sheahan end up on the team.

He was never anticipated to be 5th overall, your facts are misconstrued. He was at one time ranked the 5th overall NA Skater by one of the mid-season rankings, but most others had him far lower, and even then it didn't account for players like Granlund.

Also, your estimate of young hockey players who drink is staggeringly low. I would be shocked if ANY of the North American prospects had never gotten s***faced at least one night. It's part of Triple-A and Junior culture. I've drank with Cam Fowler underage multiple times, and my Junior day's were pretty much a booze fest. I'm not saying they are alcoholics, but seriously, do you really think Teenage North American Jocks with an already secure future don't party?

It was Central Scouting that had his midterm rank as 5th NA skater. So yes, he was ranked 5th by the top scouting service on Earth. :cool: