• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WMUCarGuy

Sources: Flyers Land Evgeni Nabokov

Rate this topic

If SJ is trying to get over the hump with playoff-calibre goaltending, Turco's not exactly an ideal candidate.

There really aren't many other options besides him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nabokov is the only goaltender of this year's FA's besides Turco who has appeared in the Conference Finals (having played the whole playoff).

Edited by Hockeytown0001

There really aren't many other options besides him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nabokov is the only goaltender of this year's FA's besides Turco who has appeared in the Conference Finals (having played the whole playoff).

If the Sharks were simply looking for a goaltender who has appeared in the Conference Finals at least once in the past while playing the whole playoffs as the starter, they'd have swapped Nabokov's rights to Philly for Brian Boucher. Don't you remember when Boucher carried Philly (he was Philly's MVP) within a game of the Finals, losing in seven to the Cup-winning Devils?

San Jose wants a guy like Mike Vernon or Grant Fuhr; A guy who can make the easy stops, with the ability to pull a big game out now and then. They will change their defense from a gritty offensive unit to more of a physical defensive unit with puck skills; Blake's retirement helps that, because his defensive deficiencies may allow them to replace him with Volchenkov, who is like a younger "reverse Blake" if you will. He's defensively as good as Blake, great physically, a good puck mover, but not that great offensively (but improving) just as Blake was not that great defensively (but improving). Volchenkov and Turco or even Biron to replace Blake and Nabokov would be good moves on San Jose's part.

If Lilja test's the market, as he might, he could also be a good depth signing for their defense depending on how it settles out. Solid defensively, great PKer, good physical presence, good puck mover, and familiar with McLellan. If they could get him for less than $1.5m, they just might do it.

Of course, bringing in Volchenkov and Lilja would probably see a guy like Vlasic or Wallin moved out, maybe a deal like sending him to Washington for a solid all-around vet like Mike Knuble plus a 3rd round pick; the kind of guy who can play top-line minutes if neccessary in a pinch but you wouldn't want to have him as your best offensive forward unless you have six Nick Lidstroms.

But definitely look to see San Jose go more for the model of depth at F and D ahead of inexpensive but skilled goaltending.

Eva, not that I am suggesting trading Ozzie but when you said:

If the Sharks were simply looking for a goaltender who has appeared in the Conference Finals at least once in the past while playing the whole playoffs as the starter, they'd have swapped Nabokov's rights to Philly for Brian Boucher. Don't you remember when Boucher carried Philly (he was Philly's MVP) within a game of the Finals, losing in seven to the Cup-winning Devils?

San Jose wants a guy like Mike Vernon or Grant Fuhr; A guy who can make the easy stops, with the ability to pull a big game out now and then.

That was the name that popped into my head instantly, again I in no way shape or form want Ozzie traded, he will play this year, and is a great mentor to Howard, but when you said the above, Ozzie was the name I thought of!

Not via the FA market, but that wasn't the point of my post. It was more a shot at SJ than anything.