• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Jarnkrok (2nd pick, 51st overall)

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

What's the skinny on this kid (pun intended)

5'10 @ 156ibs

"He's small, but extremely skillful. A very fast skater, very quick moves, good hands -- he's an exciting player, great attitude."

I'm going to look up some YT videos of him now. I never heard of him before Wings drafted him.

He is exactly what Zettter was when we drafted him. Drive to the net and excellent def plays in the play-offs is what Zetter all about now and what makes him better than anyone in this league. Whether Jarnkrok has it still remains to be seen.

Great article, even if it is from the Oilers' (*gag*) perspective:

If Jarnkrok made the NHL, he would be the lightest player in the league.

With a total of one minor penalty under his belt last season, he also seems to lack that protective layer of sandpaper which has kept some smaller forwards from being cracked like overripe melons.

Also, he doesn't shoot. Like, ever. He had eighteen shots in thirty-three games of league play last season, which seems like the kind of thing I'd do if I played thirty-three professional games. Since he scored four goals, that means he shot 22.2%. Which is a lot, but in a sample that small how many conclusions can you really draw?
Whereas Omark followed up his 18-year-old season by potting one lonely assist in 18 Elitserien games, Jarnkrok tore the Swedish U-20 league to bloody pieces in 2009-10. He had 31 points in 19 games with his hometown team, the Brynäs IF U-20s, and that is a dominant pace. Such utter destruction of his fellow teenagers could not fail to earn a callup ...

Then after the callup:

Just four goals and six assists in thirty-three games, fourteenth in team scoring despite playing less ice time in fewer games than almost any of his comrades. His points-per-game in his first season in the Elitserien was better than Linus Omark's points in either of his first two despite Omark receiving significantly more ice time. In his draft year, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson himself had only three points in thirty-five games, and even in his breakout sophomore season MPS was only two points better than Jarnkrok's pace as a rookie (MPS as a sophomore was only seven months older than a rookie Jarnkrok, but Paajarvi-Svensson also went tenth overall).

So, it looks like he compares decently to Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, who is, from all accounts, supposed to be unreal. The only issue is the size. Still, an exciting prospect. He just has to put on a LOT of weight.

Great article, even if it is from the Oilers' (*gag*) perspective:

Then after the callup:

So, it looks like he compares decently to Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, who is, from all accounts, supposed to be unreal. The only issue is the size. Still, an exciting prospect. He just has to put on a LOT of weight.

He dominates at 156lbs, imagine how he would do if he put some weight on. This kid has so much potential, we are talking about 1st line talent here. Lets hope he fills out rather quickly.

OK, I have to ask - What's the deal with "ironhook"? Is that what his name translates to? Is it a nickname for a reason?? Help!

I know, right? It's not like this kid's name doesn't already sound like a Bond villain's.

Yeah, I looked it up - Järnkrok translates to iron hook (järn = iron, krok = hook). Pretty friggin' rad name for a hockey player, if you ask me! Totally sounds like a Bond villain, but hey, better than "fluffy bunny," am I right? Hehe, the first time I saw his name, I thought, well, just when I thought it didn't get any more "ARRR VIKING!!!" than Kronwall, here comes Jarnkrok.

Anyway, I hope this guy lives up to the Zetterberg comparisons. Can't wait to see what he can do!

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Someone tell Chelios we need some of his dianabol.. ermmm I mean workout tips asap.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I'm stoked about this pick, I really am.

He's got so much potential, all he needs to go is to get stronger which will allow his game to really take off.

And listening to his intereview, sounds like he has a great attitude. :thumbup:

Someone tell Chelios we need some of his dianabol.. ermmm I mean Workout tips asap.

Yeah actually get him on the Chelly routine or the Gary Roberts routine. Worked for Stamkos this past offseason I would say.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Here's a short video I made, it's all his points in SEL.

Kid's got talent. Doesn't look like his lack of size scares him from getting into scoring lanes either, which is good. Drove to the net hard for a guy his size.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Kinda makes me excited to think that 2-5 years from now we'll be seeing these guys on the lines trying to make a name for themselves like we saw earlier in the decade with Datsyuk and Zetterberg when Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Hull, etc. were still here. I still remember back then in their training camp (or preseason game, can't remember), when the young Zetterberg wowed the veterans with his play and netted 2 goals. With all the talk he got, you couldn't help but think him and Datsyuk were the future, and look at them now.

That's how I feel about some of these prospects. Kids like Tatar and Jarnkrok just have a real good attitude and I know it's premature to go about it like that but you just can't help but think that when they're called up and get their shot, that they'll soon be wowing the veterans.

Yeah actually get him on the Chelly routine or the Gary Roberts routine. Worked for Stamkos this past offseason I would say.

Stamkos was tiny when he was drafted. I agree that he benefited from putting weight on last summer. Once you can physically compete the skill comes out.