• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Are We Not Good Enough to Win the Cup?

Rate this topic

As Holland and Babcock stated, the guys currently on the roster all have to have better seasons. Hank, Pavel, Flipper, Kronwall, Lidstom, Cleary. Change from within.

Hudler makes a huge difference as far a third line depth goes. There is a decent chance that one of Filpulla, Hudler, or Bertuzzi will find themselves playing on the 3rd line this year. This makes the 3rd line a scoring threat. Something the Wings never really had last year.

The only thing this team is missing, other than the core players having a better year, are the two things that have been heavily discussed by LGW nation, the media, and Detroit management: a gritty/hungry 4th liner that plays hard physical minutes that can forecheck and pound the other team's defense, and a number 5/6 D-man that is physical and steady in his own end.

Will we get these two players? 50/50. But if we could ice this team, we'd have a better than legit chance of winning it all.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest Heaten

Well, we are not the same team as last year, we got Hurled...er Hudler now! :ninja:

Speaking of Hurled, I guess the folks that gave you negs think that Hurled is better than Bobby Ryan, :hysterical: If we could somehow get Ryan here for Hurled, we'd be on the fast track for sure to the Cup! I don't get why so many people here think Hurled is the answer, he is not the missing piece, he may help a little, but if you're asking if the Wings would rather have Ryan or Hurled and a 1st, I think we ALL know what that answer would be, Bobby Ryan, hands down...

1st. I've read by multiple posters that Hudler can't be traded this season. How accurate it is your guess. But it makes sense.

2nd. Hudler > Williams

Well, we are not the same team as last year, we got Hurled...er Hudler now! :ninja:

Speaking of Hurled, I guess the folks that gave you negs think that Hurled is better than Bobby Ryan, :hysterical: If we could somehow get Ryan here for Hurled, we'd be on the fast track for sure to the Cup! I don't get why so many people here think Hurled is the answer, he is not the missing piece, he may help a little, but if you're asking if the Wings would rather have Ryan or Hurled and a 1st, I think we ALL know what that answer would be, Bobby Ryan, hands down...

Nobody thinks that. You overdramatize everything regarding Hudler. Nobody thinks he is the second coming of Jesus, and we get that you hate them. We understood this a long time ago. The only person making a giant soap opera about Hudler is you, nobody else. And it is absolutely aggravating after the 500th time that you've done it. Your posts regarding him are dead weight, so there's no need to talk about him.

Anyways, the Wings are good enough to win the Cup.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest Hatethedrake!

I did say we have a great team... so to say that "THE SKY IS FALLING" is not what I said or meant If you want to put your own words into a post ...go ahead.

I merely stated that I dont think Hudler is the missing link. Is that saying the sky is falling? Really????

I also am only stating what I THINK My OPINION... I see you dont agree.. thats fine, I am not gonna argue your right or I am right. But dont read half a post and be a idiot about it.

There was lots of confidence that Hudler would of been here last year when we went to arbitration and all that ..... Did he play here? NO. But we all thought it was a sure thing. Look up the threads and read them. I also didnt say we were trading anyone. I did also say that it is all but certain that Abdelkader would have a contract.(you do realize that as of July 1st he is a RFA right?) I made no comments about Franzen, Datsyuk or Zetterberg. those are on you.

But your right if you wanna play in traffic Don't let me stop you!

You are paranoid. The only one here who is being an idiot is you.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Hmm Explain please. would that not be a NTC? I dont know how accurate CapGeek.com is but they do not show one with him. (Again That does not mean I know for sure how arbitration works)

Basically it goes back to him saying the Wings were the only NHL team he wanted to play for if he ever left Russia. So some weird stipulation in the contract says the Wings couldn't trade him for a certain period of time after he signed. So basically he wanted to make sure he didn't come back and immediately get traded for cap-room or any other reason.

As Holland and Babcock stated, the guys currently on the roster all have to have better seasons. Hank, Pavel, Flipper, Kronwall, Lidstom, Cleary. Change from within.

I agree with this. If Flip can play as well as he did near the end of the season and in the playoffs all year; if Kronwall and Cleary can bounce back from some injuries; if Ericsson can pull his head out of his ass; if Jimmy avoids a sophomore slump (that's a big one); and everyone else that we know is great (Hank, Pav, Mule, Nick, etc) plays up to their ability, then the Wings will be one of the top teams in the league and legit Cup contenders again.

1. We're another year older.

2. We have a horrible 3rd line, and the 3rd line is key deep in the playoffs.

3. 4th line doesn't bring enough energy.

4. Howard is inconsistent in goal.

5. Cleary will probably be injure 70 games (had to do it).

6. Hudler doesn't deserve to be on this team, while others take paycuts he comes back flaunting 10million untaxed to rub in Lidstroms, Zetterbergs faces..

7. Too much dead weight still on the roster (Draper, maltby if signed, Meech)

8. Six D-men feels more like 4 1/2. Need a solid 6th, Kronner, Stu, and Raf need to play better.

9. Injuries, slumps remain unseen but will play a factor I see us narrowly taking 6-8th seed if we get lucky.

Team needs to get bigger, faster younger, which they addressed in the draft. :clap:

Filpulla needs to prove his worth, hudler needs to redeem himself

Howard needs to be a stable wall, Rafalski needs to earn his check

Cleary needs to geeeeeeeet out!

(god I hate you so fricken much cleary, I hope you attract a David lee Oswald type)

6. Hudler doesn't deserve to be on this team, while others take paycuts he comes back flaunting 10million untaxed to rub in Lidstroms, Zetterbergs faces..

8. Six D-men feels more like 4 1/2. Need a solid 6th, Kronner, Stu, and Raf need to play better.

9. Injuries, slumps remain unseen but will play a factor I see us narrowly taking 6-8th seed if we get lucky.

Team needs to get bigger, faster younger, which they addressed in the draft. :clap:

(god I hate you so fricken much cleary, I hope you attract a David lee Oswald type)

He was injured just about all year and he claimed he could barely walk at times when not playing and it was a pain in the rear to even walk up stairs and such.

Please at least consider this before you go off the deep end in the hatred level illogically.

I will never understand the obsessive disliking of some players on here by some members, when pretty much every time the players are obviously not as bad as these airheads on here over-dramatize.

For those of you who forgot, this was our ACTUAL STARTING LINEUP at one point in the season:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Leino-Abdelkader-Eaves

Draper-Helm-Miller

May-Newbury-Maltby

Lidstrom-Meech

Janik-Rafalski

Lebda-Stuart

Check and mate...

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Leino-Abdelkader-Eaves

Draper-Helm-Miller

May-Newbury-Maltby

Lidstrom-Meech

Janik-Rafalski

Lebda-Stuart

We are NOT going to be the same team as last year.

lol I remember and was like scared.gif...Im stoked for this year.

There have been so many threads about trying to sign one player or trading for another. Do you guys think we are not good enough to win the cup or something? Personally I think we are loaded and ready to make a run...that's just me though.

I don't think it's just you, I think it's everyone. Does anyone say we're not good enough? A lot of people wouldn't pick us as their favorite. But I can't imagine anyone who follows the sport saying we can't because we don't have the talent.

I don't think it's just you, I think it's everyone. Does anyone say we're not good enough? A lot of people wouldn't pick us as their favorite. But I can't imagine anyone who follows the sport saying we can't because we don't have the talent.

I've suggested changes repeatedly, mostly in the enforcer threads. As you say, it's not because I think we don't have the talent; I agree that the team, as it stands now, has the potential to make a cup run. There are just a lot of 'if...' statements involved. "If" everyone stays healthy; "if" Hudler/Cleary/Filppula produces as expected, etc. Which is not necessarily a killer; I mean, there will be those "ifs" involved with any team, before any given season. Who saw the Flyers coming this year? I think they got some ifs to go their way, and though I'm no Flyers fan, good for them. So there are improvements I think could be made, to help take away some of the "ifs"; I wouldn't say a run is impossible without them, just more likely with them.

In the end, the only way we're going to know for sure is to see what happens next April...

So many things wrong with this.

1. That is a good thing for many of the youngsters we have on our team.

2. How do you have ANY idea what our 3rd line will be next year? You don't.

3. Same thing with our 4th. Holland has said he's still trying to sign someone... so you have no idea what the 4th line brings.

4. Howard was our best player last year... but oook.

5. Wanna make a bet about Cleary being out 70 games?

6. Dumbest part of this post. Yeah I'm SURE the first thing Hudler does when he gets back is "rub 10 million dollars in Lidstrom's face". This is one of the more ignorant assumptions I've ever read on lgw.

7. I doubt Maltby OR Meech is signed, and Draper will probably not crack the roster most nights. Does this REALLY concern you?

8. Wouldn't mind a solid 6th, alright, I'm with you here.

9. Injuries and slumps.... happen to every team in every sport. If you can magically find a way to solve this, please, by all means post another list!

Can't help but laugh at all the people saying Huds and Abs WILL be the difference next year that brings us the cup. Sorry to burst your bubble, but those players aren't season-changing players you think they are.

We have to accept the fact that this is essentially the 09/10 team, just a bit older. We also have to be ready to accept Lidstrom's drop in play and points (its simply inevitable at 40. He's not immortal) as well as possible injuries with players that are prone to it (Zetterberg's back issues have me increasingly worried every season).

Everyone is getting better while we stay the same.

Can't help but laugh at all the people saying Huds and Abs WILL be the difference next year that brings us the cup. Sorry to burst your bubble, but those players aren't season-changing players you think they are.

We have to accept the fact that this is essentially the 09/10 team, just a bit older. We also have to be ready to accept Lidstrom's drop in play and points (its simply inevitable at 40. He's not immortal) as well as possible injuries with players that are prone to it (Zetterberg's back issues have me increasingly worried every season).

Everyone is getting better while we stay the same.

Because Franzen and Kronwall aren't going to improve after an injury-ridden last season right?

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out of their primes right?

Lidstrom declining from 4th place in the Norris voting must be the end of the world right?

Jimmy Howard gained plenty of experience last season and should impress.

I don't know, the only thing I'm questioning is if Flippula going to finally take the leap into a scoring 2nd line center.

It's your choice not to be optimistic, but the core of this team proved last year they can be dominate when healthy.

Because Franzen and Kronwall aren't going to improve after an injury-ridden last season right?

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out of their primes right?

Lidstrom declining from 4th place in the Norris voting must be the end of the world right?

Jimmy Howard gained plenty of experience last season and should impress.

I don't know, the only thing I'm questioning is if Flippula going to finally take the leap into a scoring 2nd line center.

It's your choice not to be optimistic, but the core of this team proved last year they can be dominate when healthy.

the team was essentially healthy during their playoff run and thats what matters. Didn't do too much dominating then did they? Thats not to say they didn't have flashes of brilliance here and there, but it definitely wasnt good enough to get close to the cup.

Edited by ShanahanMan

the team was essentially healthy during their playoff run and thats what matters. Didn't do too much dominating then did they? Thats not to say they didn't have flashes of brilliance here and there, but it definitely was good enough to get close to the cup.

Every year is different, chemistry can click in different ways, better match-ups against teams etc.

Not to mention this will be the first season in a while that the core of the Red Wings will be completely rested and healthy before a season.

Cleary was banged up most of the season and he's an important part of the team on the second line and 2nd PP unit.

Him being healthy and Hudler will vastly improve that 2nd power play and that could make a gigantic difference come playoff time.

Wings were in these playoffs, they were a contender. Sharks beat them, but it wasn't an easy series by any means and considering the size on the Sharks I really think they were the worst match up for the wings.