• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MissyLKS8

Keeping up with the Wings

Rate this topic

Hey, I will probably post this again when it's closer to the start of the season, but I am moving to Germany for a minimum of one year on September 29th. I will miss the whole 2010-2011 season. It's heartbreaking, I know.

My question to everyone is how can I keep up with the team? I never done preseason games and I can catch a few in September, are they worth going to help the ease of the separation anxiety? Also, I was thinking of buying a small NHL package (maybe watch a few live games but mostly day old games), however, I have a MLB premium and I hate it. I'm always on blackout and it's pricey. I barely made it through the blackout in 2004-- hopefully Germany will keep me entertained but with results of the past season, I feel ripped. Any other ideas?

Hey, I will probably post this again when it's closer to the start of the season, but I am moving to Germany for a minimum of one year on September 29th. I will miss the whole 2010-2011 season. It's heartbreaking, I know.

My question to everyone is how can I keep up with the team? I never done preseason games and I can catch a few in September, are they worth going to help the ease of the separation anxiety? Also, I was thinking of buying a small NHL package (maybe watch a few live games but mostly day old games), however, I have a MLB premium and I hate it. I'm always on blackout and it's pricey. I barely made it through the blackout in 2004-- hopefully Germany will keep me entertained but with results of the past season, I feel ripped. Any other ideas?

If you have a decent internet connection in Germany you can watch most games online live for free from different places. I live in Indianapolis and I had to watch almost every game online, besides the games I actually went to in Detroit.

Other than that, if you have a cell phone you can always get text message updates from Red Wings twitter. For every home game they text you when anyone scores a goal and they tell you the final score.

Hope I helped!

go to espn360.com and get you season ticket for just only 70 euro. With this small amount of money you'll get 1280 NHL games with all 82 DRW regular season games. The only thing is that they start at 2:00 am earliest. That's tough but this is how we survive here in Europe. 39 euros for play-offs.

There are always free online streams, but if you aren't able to watch the games as they are occurring live, you may want to try hockeystreams.com. They charge you, but there are different options (per day,per month, 3 months, 6 months and yearly). You can watch the games live and they archive the games for a certain period of time so you can watch the game whenever you have a moment. Also included is the All Star game, NHL awards, the draft, etc.

LGW is a great way to follow the team. Also, I'm not sure of the reason for your travel, but if you have any free time I suggest getting out and exploring the local culture, you never know when you'll be back! Some separation from the Wings isn't always the worst thing!

I know last year Drumnj was nice enough to create an archive of all of the games, which you could watch in their entirety, usually the next day. Not sure what his plans are this year, but it would be something to look into to watch games on your own schedule.

I'm in Germany right now, in the military. Don't know if you're military or not, but if so AFN televises the majority of the playoffs. Granted, the games are on at like 1-2AM, but they also replay many of the games at a normal time the next day.

Otherwise, I used NHL.com streams to watch a majority of games this year. There are cheaper (Even free) feeds of most of the games, which you will find posted on this forum. But I find that NHL.com offers the best quality streams of the nearly dozen different streams I attempted. Of course, you have to pay for that service. Again though, many games are televised late, as Germany is 6 hours ahead of east coast. So a 7pm start....is a 1am start here. On weekends it wasn't much of a problem (Combination of the fact that staying up late wasn't much of an issue, and the fact that many games are around 1300 on Saturday--or 1900..7pm Germany time)

Otherwise, I used letsgowings.com, and nhl.com to keep up to date.

Blackout will kick you in the nuts on NHL packages as well, but MOST of the games are televised. Just seems like they're really piss poor about letting you know early enough which ones. Can't count the number of times I was prepped for a game, beer in one hand, popcorn in the other, only to find it blacked out. Most blackout games will still be streamed somewhere on the Internet though. A lot of "rogue" sites will stream the games straight from FSN, at s***ty quality unfortunately, but the will be there.

With a will, you "could" in theory watch most redwings games from Germany, you just have to research it a bit. Hope my tips help point you in the right direction.

Edit: And yes, preseason games are a blast. Catch a few at the Joe if you can. Even one......going to a game is always insanely fun. Combine pizza with beer and redwings hockey, and you never fail.

Edited by Joseph Franks

I know last year Drumnj was nice enough to create an archive of all of the games, which you could watch in their entirety, usually the next day. Not sure what his plans are this year, but it would be something to look into to watch games on your own schedule.

doesn't work from Europe. In fact, it works for NA IPs only. You need to get good proxy with at least 400Kbps or get a good friend forwarding your packets. There are special services for this which are pretty cheap. There are many ways, just decide on the most convenient for you and ask further.

Thanks all for the replies. I had the worst year when my roommates used MY TV to watch their lame-arse reality shows and I was stuck searching the internet and had a few reliable sites but it was a 50/50 chance I would find a game. I just need a cheap and reliable source.

Also, according to a few friends, most people go to bed around 4am since most bars open after midnight and I'm just so used to studying with the game on. I know I may be distracted with being in Europe but who knows...

Also, according to a few friends, most people go to bed around 4am since most bars open after midnight and I'm just so used to studying with the game on. I know I may be distracted with being in Europe but who knows...

Most euro students are sleeping by 1am. This is true for Germany, Scandinavia, and Finland. In Finland, for example, you don't usually have roommates - as your room is for you only. You won't have problems watching your TV at night. However, be sure that sound and your screams are adequate.

I think if I want to watch games consistently I'll buy... just need to decide what will be the best plan. I'll was until I get there and see what my schedule is. Hopefully I can find a few free feeds until. It would be awesome to get a German feed, haha... if only.

I migh tbe moving to munich in february, but I am jsut gonna get ci online or just watch streams

... school?

Most euro students are sleeping by 1am. This is true for Germany, Scandinavia, and Finland. In Finland, for example, you don't usually have roommates - as your room is for you only. You won't have problems watching your TV at night. However, be sure that sound and your screams are adequate.

I will have my own room (heck yes!). However, I can't promise my yelling, opposing team trash talking, and cheering won't be a problem for others in my apartment complex. Haha.

I think if I want to watch games consistently I'll buy... just need to decide what will be the best plan. I'll was until I get there and see what my schedule is. Hopefully I can find a few free feeds until. It would be awesome to get a German feed, haha... if only.

... school?

LMU (University of Munich

I will have my own room (heck yes!). However, I can't promise my yelling, opposing team trash talking, and cheering won't be a problem for others in my apartment complex. Haha.

U

believe me you'll spend you time sleeping with guys/girls whatever you prefer. I remember my time with Munich Univ. of Tech... I f***ed more girls than in the rest of my life.

LMU (University of Munich

Small world. Going with JYM?

U

believe me you'll spend you time sleeping with guys/girls whatever you prefer. I remember my time with Munich Univ. of Tech... I f***ed more girls than in the rest of my life.

Uh, thanks?

I think i would be going through Wayne State

Which is through JYM-- it's the studying abroad program at Wayne. Good luck. I've only heard good things from student who have gone or are currently there. I'm doing both semesters. Only 90 days!

U in the beginning of the post is just a typo. the rest is true. go for Europe for that. But think a bit if you have a girlfriend.

I'm guessing this is from experience...

Only a bit, right?

Ha, right. Only a bit. Don't think it over too much!

http://atdhe.net/

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Free online streams for sporting events, news, etc. Great tool. :)

Have fun in Germany, I'd love to go back there!