• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

To all Canadians

Rate this topic

I understand how it happens for Russins, Swedish, now Finnish fans. No questions about native Detroiters. What's about you, Canadians. I know there are few Newfoundland fans cheering specifically for Danny. Those who liver just across the border (Widsor?) may decide to go with DRW. But those in Edmonton, Monthreal, Toronto? Is it for just players like Steve, Draper, Maltby, Mac?

Being raised in Canada, you like the team your dad likes. You are brain washed at a young age and thats usually how it happens. For most of the people I know anyways.

The wings are so close to Canada though as well, like you can take the tunnel bus and its a 5 minute walk just about from customs to the Joe, so its almost like they are in Canada.

And to top it all off Canada has had some of its best players all time play for the wings. Yzerman(best captain ever), Howe (best power forward and most well rounded player all time), Shanny (probably second best power forward all time), and of course Sheahan Detroits largest draft pick in the last 50 years or so :cool:

I live in New Brunswick on the east coast, with no connections to players or the like, and I've been a Red Wings fan for 14 of my 24 years of life. I suspect I will continue to cheer for the Wings until the day I die, and convert any of my kids into Detroit fans as well.

Being raised in Canada, you like the team your dad likes. You are brain washed at a young age and thats usually how it happens. For most of the people I know anyways.

Oh, I know this way. First my dad said to me "look what Russian five just did" and I became DRW fans. Now my 5 daughter screams "Zetter is better" each time when we play against s***tshburg on PS3.

Edited by RusDRW

yeah my dad tried to get me to be a leafs fan and It didn't work lol

My parents took me to a wings game when I was about 6-7 years old, i think it was 92 or 93 but I remember steve yzerman being my favorite player and I have worshiped him and the wings ever since.

Oh, I know this way. First my dad said to me "look what Russian five just did" and I became DRW fans. Now my 5 daughter screams "Zetter is better" each time when we play against s***tshburg on PS3.

Exactly haha. My girlfriends nephew is 4 and his Dad like me is a die hard Detroit fan. He doesn't know a thing about hockey but he does know that the Red Wings are the good guys and the Maple Leafs are the bad guys. Thats usually how it gets started, then once you start playng and get old enough to watch you realize your family likes them so you do too.

I understand how it happens for Russins, Swedish, now Finnish fans. No questions about native Detroiters. What's about you, Canadians. I know there are few Newfoundland fans cheering specifically for Danny. Those who liver just across the border (Widsor?) may decide to go with DRW. But those in Edmonton, Monthreal, Toronto? Is it for just players like Steve, Draper, Maltby, Mac?

I live in Hamilton,home of the Hamilton Red Wings,the farm team from the '60s. Used to watch Howe,and company when I was a kid and they played the farm team once a year to promote them.

Always let the farm team go up by 2 or 3 goals,then storm back in the 3rd to win.

I remember Howe would stay out on the ice between periods and sign autographs for the entire time! :clap:

My uncle was the custodian at the ice rink (referred to as the barn back then) and he would bring back used hockey sticks from the wings and cut them for his tomato plants. :P

I live in Hamilton,home of the Hamilton Red Wings,the farm team from the '60s. Used to watch Howe,and company when I was a kid and they played the farm team once a year to promote them.

Always let the farm team go up by 2 or 3 goals,then storm back in the 3rd to win.

I remember Howe would stay out on the ice between periods and sign autographs for the entire time! :clap:

My uncle was the custodian at the ice rink (referred to as the barn back then) and he would bring back used hockey sticks from the wings and cut them for his tomato plants. :P

so basically you had no choice :) I'm from Russia, and I remember when Sergey Makarov (meanwhile, do you know this guy?) signed my hockey stick. I was more than impressed. Just don't know how to express it in English :)

This was attempted on me by my mother... she was a big Habs fan, but I rebelled. Eventually she came over to the good side too.

Because they are the best ******* team in hockey

Exactly. I mean, I'm not Canadian, but I was born and raised in California, and so were my parents, so if you want to talk about out-of-market fans, I'm about as out-of-market as they come. My city (San Diego) doesn't have a hockey team, so I got to pick whatever team I wanted when I started watching hockey. I could've picked the Ducks, which are the closest team to me, but do they have the history, tradition, class, and passion of the people involved with the Wings organization? I don't think so.

On one hand, I appreciate the league expansion because it means I can go see an NHL game without having to drive 1,000 miles to the north or 2,000 mi to the east. On the other, I think the NHL undervalues its roots and the rich history that come with Original 6 teams like the Wings. This might just be me, but in a city where not a whole lot of things are more than 50 years old, I really like being able to be part of something that stretches back almost to the beginning of the last century for a change, instead of cheering for a team that started when I was 8.

London, Kitchener, Waterloo, even Hamilton and St. Catherines have a ton of wings fans, they choose the wings over the Sabres or Leafs.

Why? Isn't far from Detroit area?

Born in Windsor in 1970...the era of the Dead Things!

My dad was a lifelong fan...he once ate at The Tunnel BBQ with the Production Line (the three of them.... and Howe got hammered!) and he would tell us stories of the old Olympia and some of the shenanigans that went on there. I remember listening to WJR radio in the car that covered all the Tigers and Wings games.

When Stevie Y was drafted we had moved about an hour from Windsor, but like all young girls, I had a mad crush on the future captian. Once I started playing hockey, my die-hard fandom hit...and the rest is history!

I was really young saw Stevie play on tv. Wings fan ever since. That was like 1990 or so. Used to look at their box score in the paper every morning and write about it in my school journal.

I remember reading papers as well when I had no Internet in 90s. Those were Russian papers and even those reported something like Atlanta chooses Stefan..., Daigle, Yashin. WTF! No words about Dats, Johan, etc. What the environment that was.

On one hand, I appreciate the league expansion because it means I can go see an NHL game without having to drive 1,000 miles to the north or 2,000 mi to the east.

Wow! I spent my vacation attending just TWO DRW games. A lot of money, a lot of time flying, and we lost twice in a row with me attending. What can I do? Once in a season... Still love them.

Raised in southern Alberta where I didn't have a NHL team and the only hockey I saw was Calgary. When Calgary won the cup in 89 I figured it had to be a setup.

Gravitated to Detroit shortly after mainly due to Hockey games on consoles. They were just so good in the game so I started watching them on satellite at the time. Not to mention I was older and could see what good hockey was. Stevie Y was one of my most favorite players and I remember those years with Burr, Probert, Cheveldae to name a few.

Additionally I'm the only one in my family that watches hockey so this wasn't passed down.

Wow! I spent my vacation attending just TWO DRW games. A lot of money, a lot of time flying, and we lost twice in a row with me attending. What can I do? Once in a season... Still love them.

Cool! I'm glad you got to see them, even if they did lose (like you said, what can you do?). Sounds like a great vacation!

Yeah, it's definitely nice having ANY hockey team around here, so at least I can go see the Wings twice a year when they come to Anaheim...I'm thankful for the Ducks in that respect. I'm really glad I don't live in Montana, for example, where there's no NHL team for a zillion miles. All that snow, and no hockey...that's just wrong.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

so basically you had no choice :) I'm from Russia, and I remember when Sergey Makarov (meanwhile, do you know this guy?) signed my hockey stick. I was more than impressed. Just don't know how to express it in English :)

Sergei Makarov turned you into a Red Wings fan? I have to admit, I am a little confused, but whatever works! :lol: I am glad you are a Detroit Red Wings fan!

Sergei Makarov turned you into a Red Wings fan? I have to admit, I am a little confused, but whatever works! :lol: I am glad you are a Detroit Red Wings fan!

I just tried to emphasize the most important point in a fan's life. I'm still cheering for Traktor (what a bad title for those in NA!) which developed Makarov. And still like DRW for Fedorov and Yzerman.

PS Makarov was indeed a part of me turning into DRW fan. He was an epitome of quick and smart plays. That is exactly what Wings were made of in 90s. IMHO, he was better than ANY NA player ever born. But that's just IMHO.

Well, I've been living in Toronto for the past 11 years and had I grown up here, things would probably have been different, but I didn't, I grew up in Nova Scotia. There is no local team out east, so most people I know there are either Montreal, Toronto or Boston fans. I became a Wings fan back around 1990 when I collected hockey cards and Fedorov's rookie card was worth more than most of the cards in that deck. I figured, if he does well, his card would increase in value, so I startd cheering for him and the Wings....usual reason I know....but I was young, at least I wasn't brain washed into cheering for some other team because of someone else.