• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Finnish Wing

What is it why you're a fan of this team?

Rate this topic

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I suppose if they moved and changed name/logo I'd think about it.

But my family has had season tickets since olmypia and my great grandfather, I just don't know of anything that could change, ever since I started smiling as a baby the wings logo has been apart of my life.

I used the Detroit Lions as an example, they are one of the worst franchises in all of sports and I've never even thought about cheering for another team and they've never won a championship and had literally the worst season of all time and I still went to the last game of the season with my jersey and cheered for them.

Edited by Carman

I have been a Red Wings fan since 1998 partly due to the glory days.

I came to the United States from Serbia in 1997 and had never followed hockey in my life. Then the playoffs for the NHL started and I fell in love with the sport. The speed of the ice, the creativity of the players was beautiful.

Why the Red Wings? While they were the best team the latter part of that decade I feel in love with the Red Wings mainly for four reasons:

1. The team shirt: mainly the logo as well as the team colors.

2. The team identity: the class the team represented, as well as the international composition of mostly Russian and Swede players.

3. Scottie Bowman: the man epitomized real energy from a coach that I would love to play for, in any sport.

4. THE JOE --> a real arena for hockey, where folklore is breathed anytime you walk in.

Since then I have followed the sport on and off, but in the last two years I re-found my love for the Red Wings, even before the playoffs of the previous season.. this past season I went to many games as I could due to me living on the West Coast. It was an amazing experience. This was a true season to be a Red Wings fan.. living on the edge, and hoping the team wins even when things weren't going well. That's when you realize how much winning means. The Helm goal vs LA in the Staples Center will be a memory I will forever hold with me. That was one of the greatest sporting moments I have witnessed live.

For me, the team identity is the most important part of this club. The sheer class and composure the club carries itself with is what all human beings should aspire to. And lastly, being from Detroit is of paramount importance. I couldn't imagine my favorite football team, pardon, soccer team, moving cities here and me still having the same affection. A team is a part of city tradition, and it's instilled within the people in Michigan.

Thus, team identity and its location for me are the two most important things on that list. That isn't to say that other things do not matter. It's just that I consider those two reasons the most important.

Edited by Russian Houdini

Considering I've been a Detroit Lions fan my whole life, I don't know if after what the Wings have done the past 20 years there could be something so awful that I'd not be a fan.

Same with me. The Lions lost so much this decade, but I never questioned why I was still a fan. In fact I never really even thought about it, I just kept supporting them. Only thing I questioned was why Millen was still the GM. Now he's gone and things are changing, and now the Lions are up and coming. Once you're born into being a Detroit fan (or any local teams for that matter depending on where you grew up), they just stick with you.

Only thing that would stop me from being a Wings fan is if they moved out of state.

If they moved and became the San Francisco Blades of Glory, then perhaps I would stop supporting them, but that's about the only reason.

I became a fan in the early 90s when I was living in America studying at the University of Toledo. I was already a passing fan of the sport thanks to the Olympics and SEGA Hockey, but seeing the wings on TV and at the Joe really got me hooked. At this time most people still called them the Dead-Things and made jokes about them, but they were already turning it around with all the good young players they had coming through - Fedorov, Lidstrom, Kozlov, Drake, McCarty, Konstantinov, Lapointe, Primeau were all on the team that season, although no-one had any idea how good they would become. Thanks to the power of satellite TV and teh interwebz, following them from afar is not too hard these days. There was a time in the mid-90s when I used to detour past the railway station on the way home of a Friday to pick up a copy of USA Today as that was the only way I had of finding out the score and standings!

While I only lived in Detroit for 4 years in my early teen years, I'd have to seriously reconsider if they moved out of Michigan. Part of the reason I love the Wings is as a reminder of that part of my life and there is a connection there that I don't know would translate if they left the city.

Awful seasons and ownership driving them into the ground wouldn't be enough to make me stop cheering for there, I'm a Cubs fan so thats par for the course. As long as the Detroit Red Wings are the Detroit Red Wings in location and identity, I'm a fan. :D

Detroit seems to get so much negative media and exposure, it is nice to have teams for all 4 of the major American sports. The Red Wings are an extension of the city and give me pride that I can claim them as my own. "Detroit" is a brand, whether talking about the auto industry, Motown music, or a team like the Red Wings. With you being from Finland, this may be the only exposure you get to the city, and I am glad that even if nothing else, we still have that connection. If the team ever left the city, I would feel betrayed and wouldn't be able to support them anymore (fortunately I don't think it's possible they ever will).

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Considering I've been a Detroit Lions fan my whole life, I don't know if after what the Wings have done the past 20 years there could be something so awful that I'd not be a fan.

Not have Crosby? :D