Eurotwins to be reunited

Rate this topic

Here is a rough estimate on what the lines are going to be:

Z-Pav-Homer

Mule-Flip-Bert

Hudler-Abby-Clears

Eaves-Helm-Miller/Draper/Ritola

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/06/st_james_red_wings_babcock_pla.html

Would be nice if this was a norm, but lines change all the time throughout a season due to needs, cold/hot streaks, injuries, whatever else...

Guest screwdahawks

Wow, Abby is going to be centering the highest scoring 3rd line in the NHL. Hudler, who Babcock has said publicly he expects 70 points from and a healthy Dan Cleary, who makes the same money so should be expected to put up the same numbers.....I'll buy Cleary's jersey if he even hits 60 points, and trust me when I say I'm not too worried about having to spend that $100.00.

Edited by screwdahawks

Abby as the 3rd line center..... :rotflmao:

The guy is a depth call-up kid at best.

I agree with you that he's certainly not ready to be our third line center, but you're exaggerating the other way just as much. Abby's a solid up and coming kid.

Glad to hear Babcock is on top of things. Pav and Z really need to be on the same line from day 1 of training camp and build up their chemistry as well as their confidence.

Also, Filppula deserves to be a 2nd line center, playing with atleast one (Mule) talented winger. That's the only way he's going to ever live up to his potential.

Personally I'd rather see Hudler instead of Bert on the 2nd line, but that might make the 3rd line into less of a scoring threat.

Getting pretty excited for the new season now.

I don't know how I feel about that second line. Filp, Bert, Mule are all good enough players to be in the top-six, I just don't have a good feeling about those three together. The ZDH line is awesome, and I love Hudler and Cleary supporting Abby in the center. I expect that line to get a lot of points if they stay together, and if Draper, Eaves (if he's the lucky one), and Helm have the same type of chemistry they did last year, I'll be more than pleased with our fourth line also.

Personally I'd rather see Hudler instead of Bert on the 2nd line, but that might make the 3rd line into less of a scoring threat.

I like this too.

Maybe if Hudler does well, he will get bumped up.

I really like these lines. It sucks for Hudler to be on that third line as I do think he deserves a(n extended) shot on the top lines, but he'll bring a lot of offense for the team and will be better for the team.

I like this too. Maybe if Hudler does well, he will get bumped up.

I think it's a given that Hudler is going to do well and I'm sure he'll get his chance on the top lines eventually.

And give Valtteri Filppula a chance to fulfill his offensive promise (and that $15 million contract) with Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi riding shotgun:

"It's time for Fil to be solid," Babcock said. "I think Fil should be a 65-point guy, I really do."

I'd still like to find a better third line center though.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I like it overall.

Our top line will be banging. Datsyuk has missed 100 points a couple of times in his career by only 3 points. United with Z most games, and healthy, he'll crack it eventually. Zetterbergh hasn't gotten as close as Datsyuk, but given this line setup he certainly has the potential to break 40 goals, if not 50. It has been a long time since they played together for the majority of a season, and they're a hell of a lot better now than they were back when they did. I see line one as a highly skilled puck possession line.

The second line will be carried mostly by Franzen, but you'll have two big bodies out there with Flip, and the added room he'll get to work might just lead to a breakout season. But all of them can score in the right situations. If Bert can up his physical game a bit it will be a very powerful line, IMO. I see this line as being a drive the net over and over line.

And it certainly leaves some scoring depth potential on three lines. Hudler is probably too good for a third line winger, but Abbey isn't fully tested yet. Cleary is sometimes a bit sketchy. But if that line gets on fire, it will have more production potential than most teams second lines will have. I see this line as a bit of an ace in the hole line. Abbey's tenacity will match up against most teams grinders, Hudlers skating, speed, and skill will take advantage of playing on the third line (Where he won't have 6'5" defenseman on his ass all the time). And Cleary, well, I guess it's up to him how good he wants to do.

Fourth line looks like....a fourth line, heh. But we have a lot of options to mix and match it, until the right chemistry is found. I see our forth line as more of an experiment, where guys can be pulled up for a few games, or put down for a few games, meanwhile being centered by a veteran in Draper. His ability on the face-off will make this line dangerous in offensive zone draws, and all of our 4th liners have at least a little scoring potential. Heh, if anything draper has the least scoring potential, but we all know what he does out there isn't trackable in stats.

Lets see if Howard can walk the walk.

In summary:

If Datsyuk and Zetterberg stay healthy...

If Homer does what he always does...

If FIip can get some room to work...

If Franzen drives hard...

If Bert gets a little more physical...

If Hudler fills the shoes we bought him for...

If Cleary finds himself again...

If Abby is all that we're hoping for...

If Howard is the real deal that he looks like he can be... (Alternatively, If Osgood has an "On" year again, if Howard falls through)

And IF we stay healthy.....

This team has a better shot than I've seen in a while.

Not to mention we've drafted large players, and are inviting bigger guys to our training camp. What does that mean? Jack squat, aside from perhaps down the long stretch we'll be able to juggle in some size onto that fourth line.

Now drop the puck already!

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

My condolences to the Filppula haters who think he belongs on the 3rd line :hehe:

Seriously though, great news :thumbup: . Ever since they were split up, I thought they were less dominant players (as Babcock stated). maybe more zetterberg than datsyuk.

I expect a lot of shifting between Bertuzzi/Homer/Hudler.

Depending on how quick Hudler can get used to NHL hockey and the situation of the game. For example if we need more size up front etc.

Edited by Carman

Abby is better offensively than Helm. At least has more offensive potential than him.

Even though I kinda would like to see Hulder in the 2nd instead of Bert I see what Babcock is thinking there. Every line now has a playmaker, a shooter and a net presence. Of course those bottom lines are more defensively but still. Shooters: Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Eaves. Playmakers: Datsyuk, Filppula, Abdelkader, Helm. Net presences: Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Miller/Draper/Ritola.

As I said, that 4th line especially is probably more everyone doing everything. I was thinking Franzen more as a power forward, but maybe Babcock sees him as a sniper. This could work, I'm telling you.

edit: Also seems that Ilari Filppula doesn't have any realistic chance of competing for the extra forward spot.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Babcock is hiding the team's third or fourth most offensively capable player on the third line if this is the situation. It would be like seeing a top three lines like this in Chicago:

Ladd/Toews/Kane

Brouwer/Kopecky/Hossa

Reasoner/Sharp/Bolland

Babcock is hiding the team's third or fourth most offensively capable player on the third line if this is the situation. It would be like seeing a top three lines like this in Chicago:

Ladd/Toews/Kane

Brouwer/Kopecky/Hossa

Reasoner/Sharp/Bolland

No, Filppula is on the second line.

hoho

Guest screwdahawks

Hey cmon, I'm Finnish and even I think Hudler has more offensive potential at the NHL level than Filppula.

Careful your gonna make him have erectile dysfunction.

Those lines are pretty good. I'd have Helm on the 3rd line and Abby centering the 4th though, since Helm is easily the better hockey player right now. Can't wait for the new season to begin, it feels like it's been forever since I watched a Wings game.