32 replies to this topic

#1 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5337002

Five players -- Ottawa's Jonathan Cheechoo, Phoenix's Petteri Nokelainen and Jim Vandermeer, Florida's Ville Koistinen and Calgary's Ales Kotalik -- were put on waivers Monday.

If the players go unclaimed, they could be bought out of their contracts and become unrestricted free agents Thursday, when the free-agency period opens at noon ET.

Cheechoo, who won the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy in 2005-06 after leading the league with 56 goals, scored five goals and added nine assists in 61 games this past season with the Senators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone think we should sign him?

Personally, I say no. However, he could somehow return to his 2005 form, it would be a huge steal for what would probably be a cheap signing.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#2 sherwood40

sherwood40

Rookie

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Cheechoo would be nice but it would have to be around $2-$2.5 mil. I think if he played with Zett it would be good, then stick Franzen with Dats. I could see him getting alot of energy knowing he has a chance at a cup and playing with a team he wants to be on (if we wants to come to Detroit).

#3 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Trust me. We don't want this guy.

Been placed on waivers twice, and makes 3.5 MILnext season. Just because we pick him up on waivers doesnt mean that he will be signed at league minimum. Went from 93 points to 70, then 37, 29, and finally 14.

Honestly, there is really no potential here for him to get 56 goals and 93 points again.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#4 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

What part about Cheechoo's last couple seasons makes you want him to have anything to do with the Wings?

#5 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

What part about Cheechoo's last couple seasons makes you want him to have anything to do with the Wings?

Sort of the same thing I have been pondering for the last 2 weeks of threads on this guy. We won't get him at the small price people think and he just isn't that 50 goal guy. Pass.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

If anything jumps out here to me, its Vandemeer... if he's bought out and we can sign him for cheap, he'd be a PERFECT #6 dman for us...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Anyone think we should sign him?

Personally, I say no. However, he could somehow return to his 2005 form, it would be a huge steal for what would probably be a cheap signing.

I'd rather have Miller or Eaves who were much, much, much more effective players than him last year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#8 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

If anything jumps out here to me, its Vandemeer... if he's bought out and we can sign him for cheap, he'd be a PERFECT #6 dman for us...

I have to agree here, he can put up points and is tough as nails.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Cheechoo I dislike in a wing wheel, he brings nothing we need to the table. Out of those five guys I like Vandermeer and Kotalik. At least they'd both bring good size. Vandermeer Id trust as our 6th and Kotalik could net you anywhere from 12-25 goals.

Edited by 13dangledangle, 28 June 2010 - 07:48 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#10 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

KOTALIK! get er done Kenny!
:thumbup:
be about it!

#11 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Cheechoo I dislike in a wing wheel, he brings nothing we need to the table. Out of those five guys I like Vandermeer and Kotalik. At least they'd both bring good size. Vandermeer Id trust as our 6th and Kotalik could net you anywhere from 12-25 goals.

Vandermeer would be decent, but Nokelainen is where its at. I guess I could take the argument that we dont really need any more centers, but this guy is right handed and destroyed us both with the 'Yotes and the Ducks - when speaking of faceoffs. Think of a younger, right handed Draper. Remember, Drapes isnt going to be around forever.

Nokelainen is one of the guys I have secretly been following. I love his play. If it is offense you want, dont hop off the trolley here. But if you want a defensively sound, right handed faceoff winner - this is the guy. I'd love to see him on the Wings.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#12 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

The only way Cheechoo here makes any sense is if we hadn't already signed Bertuzzi. I understand some fans wanting him here because we are pros at reclamation projects in players. Cleary, Stuart, Bertuzzi.... that's just what we do now. But I say no unless he wanted to sign for league minimum after he's bought out.

Vandermeer would be decent, but Nokelainen is where its at. I guess I could take the argument that we dont really need any more centers, but this guy is right handed and destroyed us both with the 'Yotes and the Ducks - when speaking of faceoffs. Think of a younger, right handed Draper. Remember, Drapes isnt going to be around forever.

Nokelainen is one of the guys I have secretly been following. I love his play. If it is offense you want, dont hop off the trolley here. But if you want a defensively sound, right handed faceoff winner - this is the guy. I'd love to see him on the Wings.

I like your thought, but we are already stacked with defensively sound, faceoff winners... yes we could use a righty, but not so bad as to clog up the team. If we moved someone out then, maybe, but otherwise no. Stick with Vandermeer.

#13 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

Cheechoo would be nice but it would have to be around $2-$2.5 mil. I think if he played with Zett it would be good, then stick Franzen with Dats. I could see him getting alot of energy knowing he has a chance at a cup and playing with a team he wants to be on (if we wants to come to Detroit).

sarcasm post of the year right there...I hope at least :P

I understand some fans wanting him here because we are pros at reclamation projects in players. Cleary, Stuart, Bertuzzi.... that's just what we do now. But I say no unless he wanted to sign for league minimum after he's bought out.

I would not use Stuart in that example more like Sammy, Miller, Eaves.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

KOTALIK! get er done Kenny!
:thumbup:

Kotalik was terrible in every facet of the game in this last season. The Rangers managed to dump him to the Flames, and now the Flames are getting rid of him.

#15 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

...like i have said since his hernia surgeries...guyf****** sucks. he will never get back. end of story....too bad for cheech and the nhl...maybe he should go to russia.

#16 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

I still can't believe the guy scored more than 20 goals, let alone 56.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#17 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:29 AM

Jim Vandermeer,perfect 6th defemseman :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#18 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

Because every single underachieving player in the NHL will instantly become the "next Dan Cleary" if they come to Detroit....
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#19 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

Because every single underachieving player in the NHL will instantly become the "next Dan Cleary" if they come to Detroit....

So the vast majority of LGW would want to trade Cheechoo too?
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#20 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:54 AM

Oh man, Cheechoo is HORRIBLE.

Do not get near him.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.