• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Top Forwards Set to Hit to Market

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5337368

Obviously we are a little strapped for cash so we won't be able to get top end forwards, but Afinogenov could be a good depth signing for a cheap price (less than 1.75 mil). Armstrong would be a pretty good signing as well, but that may not be very feasible.

Afinogenov would be awesome!

Oh and I forgot about Frolov. He might not be bad if we had the wiggle room.

Both of those guys will be getting paid much more than we could afford next season.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Both of those guys will be getting paid much more than we could afford next season.

They aren't getting any younger though. Will they take a paycut for a chance at a cup? Or take a lot of money to play for a last place team?

Zactly. I just read a thing on the Kings' site that says they're not too enthusiastic about re-signing him if he's going to ask for a big raise, and apparently it looks like he's going to (even though he only had 19 goals last year). So if the Kings, who actually have some cap space to work with (according to what you guys have said, anyway), aren't going to re-sign him, how the heck would we? Besides, the article says he's another one to whom the KHL is calling (that got grammatically complicated, heh), so maybe he won't even be around next year.

Bummer. I was hoping he'd at least re-sign with the Kings...I've gotten used to seeing his jersey hanging at the local ice rink. It's the one piece of memorabilia there that doesn't inspire loathing in me. Unlike, say, the Corey Perry cut-out.

Afinogenov would have been the perfect signing LAST season, instead of Jason friggin Williams. I doubt he'd be affordable now though, and Frolov certainly won't. Armstrong looks to be on Cleary money, so he's out too.

I get the impression the Wings are looking for a tough guy D-man, if one exists, rather than another forward.

How is Jokinen pulling in $5.5 a year?

That's probably from the contract that he had with Florida (was it) before being dealt to Calgary then NYR.

I could be wrong, or maybe there was a stop in Phoenix as well.

That's probably from the contract that he had with Florida (was it) before being dealt to Calgary then NYR.

I could be wrong, or maybe there was a stop in Phoenix as well.

He left Florida as a free agent. And he was over a ppg guy back then. Phoenix game him that contract, I think.

For the rumours saying he's useless and going to KHL... I think there's still use for a 50-60 point 2nd line center in many teams, if he comes for 2.5-3.5m.

He left Florida as a free agent. And he was over a ppg guy back then. Phoenix game him that contract, I think.

For the rumours saying he's useless and going to KHL... I think there's still use for a 50-60 point 2nd line center in many teams, if he comes for 2.5-3.5m.

Thanks for the correction!

Yeah, I doubt he goes to Russia. In fact, most if not all of the those players will probably be in the NHL next season.

This is wrong. He was traded from Florida to Phoenix at the 2008 draft with 2 years left on the contract he signed with Florida. He was then dealt to Calgary in March 2009 and then to NY Rangers in February 2010 where he finished the contract.

Edited by redwinger4747

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

would love afinogenov....or prospal...either one would be great

:thumbup:

I was all for Afinogenov last season, but with his price tag up, I really don't think he is what the Wings need as of now. Also, I've seen Prospal mentioned a bunch, and while I agree, he would be a good fit with the Wing's, Babcock and Prospal have a strong dislike for each other.

Alex Tanguay at 1.8? Anyone?

A proven playoff preformer who at one time battled for an Art Ross and had consecutive PPG seasons? Much rather take the risk on Tanguay then overpay for a guy like Frolov.

Also, Lee Stempniak may not be as expensive as one may think due to his poor playoffs. If either of these guys could be had for a reasonable amount of money and a 1-year deal, I'd want Holland to pull the trigger. Just adding one more top 6 forward would be huge, and would allow us to roll 3 very very good lines.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

This is wrong. He was traded from Florida to Phoenix at the 2008 draft with 2 years left on the contract he signed with Florida. He was then dealt to Calgary in March 2009 and then to NY Rangers in February 2010 where he finished the contract.

Whaat? Who was he traded for? I somehow remember him being at the free agent market after Florida years.

edit: Just checked it, you're right. But what did they get in return in the trade?

Guest Crymson

They aren't getting any younger though. Will they take a paycut for a chance at a cup? Or take a lot of money to play for a last place team?

You're joking, right? Frolov is 28 and Afinogenov is 30. In the age-wise sense, they're in the primes of their careers.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

You're joking, right? Frolov is 28 and Afinogenov is 30. In the age-wise sense, they're in the primes of their careers.

Afinogenov will be 31 in a couple months and has been in the NHL since 1999. How much hockey do you think he has left in him? He may have about six years left (at most) and he has never won a cup. This brings me back to my original point of them either signing for bottom feeders who pay a lot of money for a long term deal, or sign a short term deal, for a team like Detroit, for a chance at a cup.

Did Lang re-sign with the Yotes and I didn't hear about it?!?!?!?!?

Of the ones listed, I'd take Cullen or (and I know this will get me killed) Kariya if the price was right. Kariya is a gamble. He says he feels better after his hips got taken care of, but it didn't show. Of course, these things take time, and once he gets back in the game for a full season, who knows what could happen? If he's not snapped up right away, his price could go down. If he has anything in the tank, he might be worth a gamble.

I know this goes totally against my normal gritty fighter dreams.

I was all for Afinogenov last season, but with his price tag up, I really don't think he is what the Wings need as of now. Also, I've seen Prospal mentioned a bunch, and while I agree, he would be a good fit with the Wing's, Babcock and Prospal have a strong dislike for each other.

A proven playoff preformer who at one time battled for an Art Ross and had consecutive PPG seasons? Much rather take the risk on Tanguay then overpay for a guy like Frolov.

Also, Lee Stempniak may not be as expensive as one may think due to his poor playoffs. If either of these guys could be had for a reasonable amount of money and a 1-year deal, I'd want Holland to pull the trigger. Just adding one more top 6 forward would be huge, and would allow us to roll 3 very very good lines.

I would like to see what happens with our RFA first then go from there. Depending on how much we have left we can try to sign one of these guys or we can hold onto that cap space and wait for a trade come deadline.

Does anyone know who is coming up for FA next year?

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I would like to see what happens with our RFA first then go from there. Depending on how much we have left we can try to sign one of these guys or we can hold onto that cap space and wait for a trade come deadline.

Does anyone know who is coming up for FA next year?

Zdeno "Mother *******" Chara

Guest Heaten

I think Red Wings problems are more of lack of roster space than cap space. They just sent 9 qualifying offers out.

If they get it, then expect to see Helm, Gator, Miller and Eaves all on the roster next season. And I highly doubt Holland is going to let Ritola slip away, this kid has shown some intriguing talent and work ethics. From what I've see from him, he's extremely underrated.

There simply is no top 6 roster room left on this team.

Edited by Heaten

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I think Red Wings problems are more of lack of roster space than cap space. They just sent 9 qualifying offers out.

If they get it, then expect to see Helm, Gator, Miller and Eaves all on the roster next season. And I highly doubt Holland is going to let Ritola slip away, this kid has shown some intriguing talent and work ethics. From what I've see from him, he's extremely underrated.

There simply is no top 6 roster room left on this team.

I agree with the Ritola part big time. What do you mean about that last part though? Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Hudler, Holmstrom

Guest Heaten

I agree with the Ritola part big time. What do you mean about that last part though? Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Franzen, Hudler, Holmstrom and (edit: Bertuzzi)

I mean just as you pointed out. Red Wings don't need anymore top 6 players. They are set with top 6 talent. If anything, our 4th line looks to be the weakest area in the forward position... in terms of size, grit and shut down.

I think Ritola will be a more effective 3rd liner than 4th liner. He can carry the puck and set up plays. I would not be surprised if he found great chemistry with Hudler and Eaves.

Edited by Heaten