• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

Red Wings make qualifying offers to nine players

Rate this topic

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings made qualifying offers to nine players before Monday’s deadline, retaining their rights when they become restricted free agents Thursday.

In addition to making qualifying offers, as expected, to Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller and Derek Meech, the Red Wings also qualified defensemen Sergei Kolosov and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, forward Jamie Tardif and goaltender Daniel Larsson.

They severed ties with forwards Evan McGrath and Johan Ryno, who were not extended qualifying offers and now are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_make_qualifying_offe.html

Ma boy Tardif is coming back!! :yowza::clap::yahoo::w00t2: Nothing else matters!!

Surprised to see Meech, and to some degree Tollefsen, on there - but we know Tollefsen isn't coming back. Maybe Meech will be part of a trade of sorts? I don't see the team expecting him to fill the 6th, or 7th slot.

? cant figure that one out either?

It's just about retaining assets, if he cannot be traded, he will be waived and sent down to GR and if he's claimed, so be it - we're still no worse off than if we had not at least qualified him in the first place...

He will not be on the Red Wings roster come final cut down day...

If Holland can not get a UFA here I can see Meech as the extra player, much like this year, he can play both positions and allows the wings cap space by only needing 22 roster players (I know it is really not allowing cap space, technically).

If Meech were to go I would not be upset, nor if he stayed.

If Holland can not get a UFA here I can see Meech as the extra player, much like this year, he can play both positions and allows the wings cap space by only needing 22 roster players (I know it is really not allowing cap space, technically).

If Meech were to go I would not be upset, nor if he stayed.

Good point, but I honestly cannot see Holland NOT adding another veteran, stay at home defenseman for that 3rd pairing... I'd be floored if he didn't as a matter of fact...

Guest Heaten

I had high hopes for Johan Ryno. Sucks to see him turn out to be a bust.

I'm not surprised to see Meech get an QO. I doubt he'll play much in the NHL, but I like him better than Lebda.

Hopefully we'll be too deep to need him, but an option is better alive then dead until you're 100% certain.

exactly.

I had high hopes for Johan Ryno. Sucks to see him turn out to be a bust.

I'm in the same boat, he had such a great camp and was so big and agile, it's really disappointing that he just couldn't handle the mental rigors of adapting to the NA game and the path it takes to get there...

I don't know why everyone hates on meech? Its not like he ever really gets a chance to play and show what he can do. Im not saying hes going to be awesome or anything but I guess its nice he can play forward if someone goes down.

He's a thousand times better than Ledba and he was serviceable while he was in last season... there's just really no room for him...

Meech had a couple hard working games for us last year... but I think its time he leaves. Its just a QO, it doesn't mean the Wings will sign him or that they even want to. It'd be cool if we could package some assets and do a trade?

I wonder if kenny can convince OKT to come back to detroit to be the 6th d man and let him try to prove himself. OKT is probably just as good as option as anyone on the market that isn't out of the wings price range.

He's already said on the record that he doesn't plan on leaving Modo of the SEL - so it looks like it's just a matter of retaining his rights, in case he changes his mind...

I don't know why everyone hates on meech? Its not like he ever really gets a chance to play and show what he can do. Im not saying hes going to be awesome or anything but I guess its nice he can play forward if someone goes down.

it is nice to have meech who can play defence and forward, but for his career, i hope he goes to atlanta or florida or something like that and play regular minutes with a team. he's earned it.

if meech hit or fight or was good at something like PK or PP he would be useful, but unfortunately he is useless....

if meech hit or fight or was good at something like PK or PP he would be useful, but unfortunately he is useless....

That's going a bit far - he's a serviceable plug, but a plug nonetheless... he's a decent 7/8th d-man and can fill in when there are injuries, so I wouldn't call him useless, he just doesn't fill a need we have here...

Absolutely positively without a question had waaaaaay more use than LebDUH had on the blue line. Always gets a good lick in but hey, just no room for him. Again brings us right back to the useless part. Talk about a post coming full circle ;)

Why are we resigning Miller?

We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Cleary, and Filppula as the top eight. Beyond that, we have Helm and Eaves who are far more impressive than Miller, as well as Abdelkader and this supposed gritty fourth line forward Holland is looking for. On top of that, we have Ritola, a center who can no longer play in the AHL without passing waivers, and Draper, who seems to have tremendous chemistry with Helm and Eaves.

By my count, that is 14 players BEFORE adding Miller. Where does he fit in? Who else might be the odd man (men) out?

Why are we resigning Miller?

We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Cleary, and Filppula as the top eight. Beyond that, we have Helm and Eaves who are far more impressive than Miller, as well as Abdelkader and this supposed gritty fourth line forward Holland is looking for. On top of that, we have Ritola, a center who can no longer play in the AHL without passing waivers, and Draper, who seems to have tremendous chemistry with Helm and Eaves.

By my count, that is 14 players BEFORE adding Miller. Where does he fit in? Who else might be the odd man (men) out?

I agree. The only reason I think it would be good is if they sign him an expect to trade him for something when they need him.