• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

if meech hit or fight or was good at something like PK or PP he would be useful, but unfortunately he is useless....

That's going a bit far - he's a serviceable plug, but a plug nonetheless... he's a decent 7/8th d-man and can fill in when there are injuries, so I wouldn't call him useless, he just doesn't fill a need we have here...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

if meech hit or fight or was good at something like PK or PP he would be useful, but unfortunately he is useless....

Absolutely positively without a question had waaaaaay more use than LebDUH had on the blue line. Always gets a good lick in but hey, just no room for him. Again brings us right back to the useless part. Talk about a post coming full circle ;)
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Meech is good for something.....he can fill water bottles.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#24 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Why are we resigning Miller?

We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Cleary, and Filppula as the top eight. Beyond that, we have Helm and Eaves who are far more impressive than Miller, as well as Abdelkader and this supposed gritty fourth line forward Holland is looking for. On top of that, we have Ritola, a center who can no longer play in the AHL without passing waivers, and Draper, who seems to have tremendous chemistry with Helm and Eaves.

By my count, that is 14 players BEFORE adding Miller. Where does he fit in? Who else might be the odd man (men) out?

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Cleary, and Filppula as the top eight. Beyond that, we have Helm and Eaves who are far more impressive than Miller, as well as Abdelkader and this supposed gritty fourth line forward Holland is looking for. On top of that, we have Ritola, a center who can no longer play in the AHL without passing waivers, and Draper, who seems to have tremendous chemistry with Helm and Eaves.

By my count, that is 14 players BEFORE adding Miller. Where does he fit in? Who else might be the odd man (men) out?

I agree. The only reason I think it would be good is if they sign him an expect to trade him for something when they need him.
Posted Image

#26 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Much like Meech, there isn't any good reason not to qualify him. Remember, a qualifying offer is not a contract. It's so we retain rights to him as a RFA. Then we can either keep him, trade his rights, sign him and trade him, or sign him and waive him.

IMO, get him signed, let him and handful of others fight it out in the pre-season for the last couple spots, and trade whomever doesn't make it. Competition is never a bad thing.

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

The Wings' top four are all signed. They are Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski, and Stuart. This is pretty established.

Despite the number of defensemen the Wings have under contract or have the rights to, ultimately, the final spot comes down to Janik vs. Meech.

It's Meech, the younger, better version of Lebda, who the Wings kept ahead of Kyle Quincey with a similar skill set. Yes, the Kyle Quincey that much of this board is saying "why didn't we keep him? against Janik, a similar player to Lilja as we all remember him before the injury, but not quite as effective as Lilja ever really was.

Meech could very well play his way into the #5-#7 slot. He's better defensively than Ericsson or Kindl, and once signed he'll be the fastest defenseman we have, with the possible exception of Rafalski.

Janik also could be the #7 guy. He isn't going to make the top 6, but he's as solid a third pair defensive/physical grinder as you'll find for less than $1.25m. If there's enough cap space, put 'em both on the roster and use as needed. Meech literally can play any position, so having a guy like him around is a huge asset. Especially at his price, assuming he signs for less than $1m.

Both definitely have their reasons that they would fit the team well. Meech would be instantly grabbed on waivers while Janik wouldn't. Meech is also younger with a much higher ceiling, and is a good failsafe if Ericsson and/or Kindl get injured and/or flop. Janik is pretty much a one-trick pony who does his job well, while Meech is a decent all-around player who skates very well.

I'd take Meech, but there's no reason to say Janik's a bad choice either. Janik can also be kept on the roster or in the A as emergency filler if needed.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

i thought larsson said he wanted to go back to europe?
Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#29 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

i thought larsson said he wanted to go back to europe?

If we qualify him, we will retain his rights if/when he returns to the NHL.

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

I'm hoping for a sign and trade deal with Miller and Meech.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Pass on Miller.

Yes on Eaves.

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Pass on Miller.

Yes on Eaves.

I can't see Kenny letting go of Eaves.He proved to be solid both offensively and defensively last year for us.I expect him back.I don't want Miller back,give me Boogaard!!! :thumbup:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

I can't see Kenny letting go of Eaves.He proved to be solid both offensively and defensively last year for us.I expect him back.I don't want Miller back,give me Boogaard!!! :thumbup:

Asham over Boogaard every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Winchester right there too. I love offseason.

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

Asham over Boogaard every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Winchester right there too. I love offseason.

I'd take any of them,to be honest.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

As someone said earlier, just remember that we offer the player as much as they made this past season or a little more than they made, then regardless if they agree to the terms, we keep their rights. This is not, players be re-signed, this is so we keep their rights at the least.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".