• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

Red Wings make qualifying offers to nine players

Rate this topic

Why are we resigning Miller?

We have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Hudler, Cleary, and Filppula as the top eight. Beyond that, we have Helm and Eaves who are far more impressive than Miller, as well as Abdelkader and this supposed gritty fourth line forward Holland is looking for. On top of that, we have Ritola, a center who can no longer play in the AHL without passing waivers, and Draper, who seems to have tremendous chemistry with Helm and Eaves.

By my count, that is 14 players BEFORE adding Miller. Where does he fit in? Who else might be the odd man (men) out?

Much like Meech, there isn't any good reason not to qualify him. Remember, a qualifying offer is not a contract. It's so we retain rights to him as a RFA. Then we can either keep him, trade his rights, sign him and trade him, or sign him and waive him.

IMO, get him signed, let him and handful of others fight it out in the pre-season for the last couple spots, and trade whomever doesn't make it. Competition is never a bad thing.

The Wings' top four are all signed. They are Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski, and Stuart. This is pretty established.

Despite the number of defensemen the Wings have under contract or have the rights to, ultimately, the final spot comes down to Janik vs. Meech.

It's Meech, the younger, better version of Lebda, who the Wings kept ahead of Kyle Quincey with a similar skill set. Yes, the Kyle Quincey that much of this board is saying "why didn't we keep him? against Janik, a similar player to Lilja as we all remember him before the injury, but not quite as effective as Lilja ever really was.

Meech could very well play his way into the #5-#7 slot. He's better defensively than Ericsson or Kindl, and once signed he'll be the fastest defenseman we have, with the possible exception of Rafalski.

Janik also could be the #7 guy. He isn't going to make the top 6, but he's as solid a third pair defensive/physical grinder as you'll find for less than $1.25m. If there's enough cap space, put 'em both on the roster and use as needed. Meech literally can play any position, so having a guy like him around is a huge asset. Especially at his price, assuming he signs for less than $1m.

Both definitely have their reasons that they would fit the team well. Meech would be instantly grabbed on waivers while Janik wouldn't. Meech is also younger with a much higher ceiling, and is a good failsafe if Ericsson and/or Kindl get injured and/or flop. Janik is pretty much a one-trick pony who does his job well, while Meech is a decent all-around player who skates very well.

I'd take Meech, but there's no reason to say Janik's a bad choice either. Janik can also be kept on the roster or in the A as emergency filler if needed.

I can't see Kenny letting go of Eaves.He proved to be solid both offensively and defensively last year for us.I expect him back.I don't want Miller back,give me Boogaard!!! :thumbup:

Asham over Boogaard every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Winchester right there too. I love offseason.

As someone said earlier, just remember that we offer the player as much as they made this past season or a little more than they made, then regardless if they agree to the terms, we keep their rights. This is not, players be re-signed, this is so we keep their rights at the least.