• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Modano done in Dallas

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I must admit I do not know anything about the Stars prospects and this is a new cap world but to me this is a slap in the face to Modano. Let him decide if this is it he has earned that right.

Dallas should have let him retire as a Star like Red Wings did with Yzerman. Modano was Star's Yzerman, but they certainly don't have the same loyalty as the Red Wings have. That's just another reason why the Red Wings are the best franchise in the NHL.

I must admit I do not know anything about the Stars prospects and this is a new cap world but to me this is a slap in the face to Modano. Let him decide if this is it he has earned that right.

I would have to agree with you. That's pretty s***ty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years. I wouldn't mind seeing him come and play in Detroit to finish out his career since he's Livonia, Michigan native. Of course the #9 isn't available though ;)

If Holland went after Modano, this would be a great off season. He'd still be a great third line center and we'd have the best third line in the league. I'm pretty sure we have the space.

DO IT HOLLAND!

Edited by Z and D for the C

I would have to agree with you. That's pretty s***ty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years. I wouldn't mind seeing him come and play in Detroit to finish out his career since he's Livonia, Michigan native. Of course the #9 isn't available though ;)

99 is :ph34r:

Total classless move by the Stars organization.This guy has done nothing but play his heart out every game for 22 years in the organization,and they don't give him a contract to finish his career in Dallas?What a joke.He's been the face of the franchise forever.He's done incredible things for that organization and the city of Dallas.What a ******* joke.

I'm split on how I feel about this. On one hand, this is awful, and as the face of the franchise for the past 20 years he should have the ability to stay as long as he wants, at the right price of course. However, Nieuwendyk played with him for many years, and the two are probably on the same page. It is not the same situation as with Yzerman, as many of you suggest, because at that time, the Wings were still at the top of the standings. In the end it took Yzerman's retirement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to rise to prominence, and this is similar in Dallas, where they really just need to move forward and say "the team we have right now isn't working, we need to show everyone else we're moving on and in a different direction." I don't think it's as villainous as suggested to force Modano out, and I hope we bring him home to finish his career.

Totally agree. He's been with that franchise since they were the Minnesota North Stars. Could you imagine the Wings letting Yzerman go near the end of his career? Or the Avs letting Sakic go? Or the Rangers letting Messier go? All they had to do was sign him to a small deal and put him on the third line. There are certain players that have earned the right to decide when its time to end it. Modano has been the face of that franchise for 20 years, he's earned it.

Having said that, I would like to see him play a year in Detroit.

I'm split on how I feel about this. On one hand, this is awful, and as the face of the franchise for the past 20 years he should have the ability to stay as long as he wants, at the right price of course. However, Nieuwendyk played with him for many years, and the two are probably on the same page. It is not the same situation as with Yzerman, as many of you suggest, because at that time, the Wings were still at the top of the standings. In the end it took Yzerman's retirement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to rise to prominence, and this is similar in Dallas, where they really just need to move forward and say "the team we have right now isn't working, we need to show everyone else we're moving on and in a different direction." I don't think it's as villainous as suggested to force Modano out, and I hope we bring him home to finish his career.

Yzerman also retired at the beginning of the salary cap era. I'm not sure the Wings were fully hampered by the Cap at that point, and Yzerman was also playing on borrowed time to begin with. If Modanno is interested in playing, he doesn't have any nagging knee injuries holding him back. The Stars, however, have their team to focus on and a salary cap that won't rise for the face of the franchise.

But at the same time, you would think that a guy of his stature would deserve a little more class. I think its just one of those situations where ugliness was inevitable.

Guest Crymson

Totally agree. He's been with that franchise since they were the Minnesota North Stars. Could you imagine the Wings letting Yzerman go near the end of his career? Or the Avs letting Sakic go? Or the Rangers letting Messier go? All they had to do was sign him to a small deal and put him on the third line. There are certain players that have earned the right to decide when its time to end it. Modano has been the face of that franchise for 20 years, he's earned it.

Messier really doesn't fall into the same category as Sakic, Yzerman or Modano.

Come get a cup for us. He can replace Maltby who is outta here.

I agree with everything you said.

Messier really doesn't fall into the same category as Sakic, Yzerman or Modano.

You don't think so? He was the "Messiah" and led the Rangers to their first Cup in 54 years. He's the 4th Ranger ever to have his number retired. He wasn't a lifer like Yzerman, Sakic and Modano, but he was the face of that franchise and the Rangers kept him around until he decided to retire. I think that's pretty comparable.

it would be cool to see him play with the wild...or the wings

Modano Upset

It looks to me like he would rather play for a Western team.

Mike Heika / Reporter

I just got off the phone with Mike Modano and he said he was ``upset and disappointed'' that things with the Stars had to end this way.

``I was told a while back by different people that I would have the say of when I wanted to retire, and it obviously didn't happen that way,'' he said. ``I'm upset and disappointed with today. It's definitely not the way I pictured it happening.''

Modano said he's not upset with GM Joe Nieuwendyk, just with the process. He said he and Nieuwendyk remain friends.

``Yeah, definitely, it wasn't easy for him, and I know that,'' Modano said. ``It's just business, but it doesn't make it any easier for me, either.''

Modano has contacted some business associates who would help him in shopping himself around, but said he would act as his own agent in free agency. He said he would be personally fielding calls when free agency starts on Thursday and said he believes he would probably play in the Western Conference.

``I definitely think in the west, that's what I know best and where I'm most comfortable,'' he said.

Modano's wife, Willa Ford, has been shuttling back between California and Texas while pursuing acting gigs, and Modano said it would be good if he could work things to be near her.

``She'd be ecstatic if that would happen, so that's definitely preferred,'' he said. ``But I just have to find the right fit.''

Modano said he's still not sure he wants to play. He said he can't even put a percentage on his decision, because he doesn't know what opportunities are out there.

``Honestly, until I talk to people and know where I fit and how I can help a team, I have no information to even base a decision on,'' he said. ``It's a whole new world for me, but I think I should probably know a lot more after the first week or so of free agency. Who knows, I could find the right fit on the first day and sign a deal or I could find nothing and then decide to retire. Anything is possible right now.''

When asked about his fit on the Stars, he said he wasn't happy last season.

``No, but who on the team was,'' he asked rhetorically. ``It wasn't a good season, it didn't come together very easily. I just think you have to put that in the past and move on.''

On the other hand, I can understand the angle that Nieuwendyk is coming from.

You mean the "I'm bitter about being left out of the HOF for Dino Ciccarelli so I'm going to take it out on the nearest former North Star" angle?