• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Modano done in Dallas

Rate this topic

Check this out!

TSNBobMcKenzie: For the right price, DET is a team that may have some interest in Mike Modano. Wouldn't that be interesting? Hometown boy and all.

Modano was great, and shame on the Stars organization for letting this happen.

I would be a pissed off Stars fan today, if I were one. Thankfully I am not. I just thought of it, like Yzerman not being offered a contract for the 06 season, and they just said thanks for everything, there's the door. An action like that would have totally changed my view of this team.

But at the same time, I know Mike is from Michigan, I know it would be a good feel good story, and I would welcome him here in a heartbeat. But I want to see this team go to a Final next season. And it's not a slam on Modano, but every roster spot is crucial. I guess I am just a little bothered by the fact the team retained Cheli longer then needed. I feel like the team shot themselves in the foot, by giving him a spot. I feel like the team might do the same with Maltby, and they will probably do the same with Draper after next season.

I would love to see Modano sign here to finish his career; I think he can still be a productive 3rd line center. With that said, I can't see it happening. I posted something similar in another thread, but here's how I see things:

Almost definitely, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Filppula, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Cleary, Helm, Draper, and Eaves will be on the roster. Abdelkader and Ritola are both signed for next year and cannot play in the AHL, and Miller will likely be resigned. That is already 14 players, before signing the gritty 4th liner Holland is looking for, which would make 15 players. That also makes a whopping seven players listed as natural centers (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Flip, Hudler, Draper, Helm, and Ritola).

Modano signing would give us 8 natural centers and 16 signed, non-AHL (without passing waivers) eligible forwards. It's likely Miller and maybe Ritola could be gone without a strong training camp, and Holland may not pick up a gritty 4th liner, but even so that still gives us 13 forwards with Modano after cutting three spots.

I just don't see it happening. It would be cool though.

I would love to see Modano sign here to finish his career; I think he can still be a productive 3rd line center. With that said, I can't see it happening. I posted something similar in another thread, but here's how I see things:

Almost definitely, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Filppula, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Cleary, Helm, Draper, and Eaves will be on the roster. Abdelkader and Ritola are both signed for next year and cannot play in the AHL, and Miller will likely be resigned. That is already 14 players, before signing the gritty 4th liner Holland is looking for, which would make 15 players. That also makes a whopping seven players listed as natural centers (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Flip, Hudler, Draper, Helm, and Ritola).

Modano signing would give us 8 natural centers and 16 signed, non-AHL (without passing waivers) eligible forwards. It's likely Miller and maybe Ritola could be gone without a strong training camp, and Holland may not pick up a gritty 4th liner, but even so that still gives us 13 forwards with Modano after cutting three spots.

Yes but we have until after training camp to be completely under the cap and we could easily trade ritola, or milller. I'd much prefer if we did get rid of Miller for Modano.

Agreed. Then there is the will we or won't we with Maltby...just not enough room. Damn waiver rule bullsh!t

I'd be all for Modano signing here.Obviously,a few guys are gonna have to go.I'd be happy with something along the lines of this:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler

Cleary-Modano-Bertuzzi

Boogaard-Helm-Abdelkader

-Draper,Eaves

-Let Miller go

-Get rid of Ritola

Sort of unlikely,but interesting that Bob McKenzie sites us as a possibility.I'd be stoked if he came to Detroit.

Yzerman also retired at the beginning of the salary cap era. I'm not sure the Wings were fully hampered by the Cap at that point, and Yzerman was also playing on borrowed time to begin with. If Modanno is interested in playing, he doesn't have any nagging knee injuries holding him back. The Stars, however, have their team to focus on and a salary cap that won't rise for the face of the franchise.

But at the same time, you would think that a guy of his stature would deserve a little more class. I think its just one of those situations where ugliness was inevitable.

well the wings also let cheli stick around a couple extra years because of the respect hes earned and deserved, same with maltby.

the wings would resign lidstrom for the next ten years if thats what lids wanted. when you have had such a great career, and you are classy like lidstrom (and modano) you earn the right to do pretty much whatever the f*** you want

Some thoughts on Modano as a Wing:

Hockeytown Happenings - I Like Mike (As A Red Wing)

If you’re Modano, where else would you want to be? He’s from Livonia, he has a frickin’ hockey rink named after him in Westland and he’d be joining a team that would be an automatic contender with or without him. The Wings have a history of doing this (i.e. Luc Robitaille and Brett Hull) and it’s worked out pretty well if I recall correctly. There isn’t a better fit for him.

DarrenDreger

Modano will have options on a 1 year basis. Detroit and St Louis expected to be among them.

^On his Twitter this morning. Interesting. Dreger usually knows what's going on.

Can't see it happening myself, though.

This is all speculation, and some other speculation against him coming here or St. Louis include the fact that is wife is currently working in Texas and toward the west coast... I think she's trying to get into acting or is acting. So that would seem to indicate that he may not want to move too far east of Texas. I could see him ending up with Phoenix, Colorado, LA, Anaheim... something like one of those teams if they have room or need for a Vet.

This is all speculation, and some other speculation against him coming here or St. Louis include the fact that is wife is currently working in Texas and toward the west coast... I think she's trying to get into acting or is acting. So that would seem to indicate that he may not want to move too far east of Texas. I could see him ending up with Phoenix, Colorado, LA, Anaheim... something like one of those teams if they have room or need for a Vet.

They say Detroit is the next Hollywood!

Wouldn't mind him, but it seems like the Wings are going to retain all of their RFA's, plus Draper and Ritola... and maybe Maltby. I don't think there's room for what we have now, let alone another forward... best case scenario we cut ties with Miller, let Ritola go through waivers, don't sign Malts and extend an offer to an agitator/enforcer.

Z-Dats-Homer

Bert-Flip-Mule

Huds-Abs-Cleary

Draper/?-Helm-Eaves

?/Draper

Edit: Although, if Abs can drop the gloves more it'd work out fine.

Huds-Modano-Cleary

Abs-Helm-Eaves

Draper

Edited by Jesusberg

I'm not sure what I might rationally think about the idea of bring Modano to the Wings, but I have to say, as a longtime fan of Modano, I've always loved the idea of him finishing as a Wing in his hometown. He'll always be a star, but I thought it would be a cool ending for him. Again, how that translates into cap-era rationality, I'm not sure, and I'm not going to go there now. Not my job.

I would love for him to sign, I have two reasons. 1, it would be a good depth signing, and 2, I would enjoy seeing how the Dallas fans react when the Wings and Stars meet. :P

I can't imagine Dallas booing Modano if he indeed does sign with another team.It's not like Modano got an offer from Dallas and turned it down in favor of another offer.

I can't imagine Dallas booing Modano if he indeed does sign with another team.It's not like Modano got an offer from Dallas and turned it down in favor of another offer.

I don't think they would boo either. I think they would be confused though. :unsure:

I don't think they would boo either. I think they would be confused though. :unsure:

True.I can't imagine Mike Modano wearing any jersey other than a Stars sweater,and i'm not even a Stars fan.I can't imagine what it would be like.It's kinda like if Detroit didnt offer Holmstrom an extension.Can anyone really imagine Homer anywhere else besides Detroit?

That would be awesome if Modano signed here. It's somewhat realistic.

Z-Pav-Homer

Bert-Flip-Mule

Huds-Mo-Cleary

Abby-Helm-Eaves (or Miller)

Draper

I dig those lines...

Honestly, and this is hard for me to say, but I do believe Hudler would do very well with Modano at his center. These lines look pretty awesome, at least to start the season. Three very good scoring lines and one big shutdown line. Just have to shore up that 6th defensman spot and we'll be good to go! Modano can still fly, he can quarterback the second power play with Kronner.

Come on Kenny, lets get this done, get on the phone to Mike like, at the stroke of midnite! This would be very awesome. It would be too bad for Miller or Eaves and Ritola, but nothing personal just business...

Edited by LeftWinger