• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

I don't like this at all. I wish he'd stay and act as a kind of mentor to Ericsson. He might not help offensively, but he's a solid stay at home defenseman and a heck of a lot more defensively responsible than Stuart. Not cool. :(
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#22 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Jay McKee (last years salary $800,000) is probably 1 of the best defensive minded UFA Dmen available, and could fill Lilja's role with little to no problems...Vandermeer would be pretty good as well.

Coliacovo is made of glass; Witt survived a run-in with an SUV :lol:

Jay McKee would make a nice addition - just doesn't drop the gloves that much, and he too has had some bad luck with injuries these past few seasons.

McKee's decent but he doesn't have the bulk Lilja does which gives Andreas an advantage on the PK. Vandermeer makes almost double what Lilja does.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that an *equal* replacement for Lilja's salary isn't as easy as most people think.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#23 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

I'd really like McKee to replace Lilja if he leaves, I watched a lot of him last year in Pittsburgh he's a fantastic shot blocker and while he may not have the strength of Lilja he more then makes up for it on his reach.

Very good defensively, and should be fairly cheap considering the injury trouble he's had.

He's fragile, but none of his injuries really effected his performance, they've all been pretty minor.

#24 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'd really like McKee to replace Lilja if he leaves, I watched a lot of him last year in Pittsburgh he's a fantastic shot blocker and while he may not have the strength of Lilja he more then makes up for it on his reach.

Very good defensively, and should be fairly cheap considering the injury trouble he's had.

He's fragile, but none of his injuries really effected his performance, they've all been pretty minor.

Do you mean in general? He's pretty much the same height as Lilja so it shouldn't be a drastic difference in that department.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

He's a bit taller, and more wirey than Lilja - yet continues to play a pretty physical game, and doesn't shy away from blocking shots.

He'll probably fall into that $1 to $1.5 million per season category which the Wings can afford...IMO the only true benefit of Lilja was his willingness to drop the gloves from time to time (but since his head injury I don't think we'll be seeing Lilja doing much of that any more).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I don't like this at all. I wish he'd stay and act as a kind of mentor to Ericsson. He might not help offensively, but he's a solid stay at home defenseman and a heck of a lot more defensively responsible than Stuart. Not cool. :(

Lilja is not even anywhere close to Stuart defensively.

I like Lilja, but I sure as hell wouldn't want him playing 20-25 minutes per game like Stuart does.

#27 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Lilja is not even anywhere close to Stuart defensively.

I like Lilja, but I sure as hell wouldn't want him playing 20-25 minutes per game like Stuart does.

Too many times I've seen Stuart make crippling turnovers(Game 7 SCF)and when he tries to get into the play he gets caught in it and can't make it back to the point to defend. Lilja stays at home and plays his role. Although, I'm not sure I'd want his ice time that high either.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#28 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Do you mean in general? He's pretty much the same height as Lilja so it shouldn't be a drastic difference in that department.

I've noticed McKee's stick much more then Lilja. McKee has really good active stick around the net and corners.

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

I've noticed McKee's stick much more then Lilja. McKee has really good active stick around the net and corners.

Obviously, he learned that from playing with the greatest player on Earth last year :ph34r:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Obviously, he learned that from playing with the greatest player on Earth last year :ph34r:

It was certainly a factor, but he was decent before he got the privilege to learn from the best player in history. :ph34r:

#31 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

This is good news actually. I mean don't get me wrong, Lilja is better than Lebda and Meech. But that's really not saying much. As we all know Lilja is extremely slow. His passing ability is lacking, he obviously has no shot at the point. Not that he's that type of d-man or anything, but still, the fact remains that we could fill his spot with a defenseman that brings alot more to the table than Lilja does. He doesn't even use the one thing he has going for him, which is his size. So for me, I'm glad he's testing the market. The only problem is, I don't see any team out there giving him any sort of pay raise. Personally, I just want him out of Detroit. Along with Lebda and Meech of course.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#32 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

I like the idea of adding McKee to replace Lilja. He's a good physical shot-blocker and a strong PKer. I remember watching him during Buffalo's playoff run back in 06, and he was fantastic as a shutdown guy.

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

This is good news actually. I mean don't get me wrong, Lilja is better than Lebda and Meech. But that's really not saying much. As we all know Lilja is extremely slow. His passing ability is lacking, he obviously has no shot at the point. Not that he's that type of d-man or anything, but still, the fact remains that we could fill his spot with a defenseman that brings alot more to the table than Lilja does. He doesn't even use the one thing he has going for him, which is his size. So for me, I'm glad he's testing the market. The only problem is, I don't see any team out there giving him any sort of pay raise. Personally, I just want him out of Detroit. Along with Lebda and Meech of course.

While I would've agreed with ya 100% 3 plus years ago (2006 Cup playoffs anyone?) - these past 3 seasons Lilja has played very well for a 5th/6th Dman...He uses his size effectively, usually makes the safe plays, and overall is our best shot blocker, and crease clearer while on the pk...By all means he's replaceable (I've mentioned a few names already) it's just that he's familiar with our system, and there's no learning curve that we might find with a new guy on the blueline.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Damn the contractual turkey
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#35 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Sutton (LONG SHOT - too $$)

Really really wish this could happen. Can someone out there tell me why this guy is too $$??? I don't see him being crazy high profile salary guy. *Meh* get it done Kenny. He fits the bill.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

First we lose Downey, then we lose May, and now we're going to lose Lilja.

This sucks. :(
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#37 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

First we lose Downey, then we lose May, and now we're going to lose Lilja.

This sucks. :(

Really got to wonder if the dynasty is in fact coming to an end... :unsure:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#38 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Lilja really had a good season this year. He seems to have gotten over the brain-lapses in his play. He'll be a really solid shot blocking defenseman for a struggling team, or a good 6th on a good team.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#39 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Needless to say, I'm pissed.

For once, GET IT DONE, KENNY.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#40 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Needless to say, I'm pissed.

For once, GET IT DONE, KENNY.

Not up to Kenny.

Lilja chose to test the market, and Holland would never not comply wish Lilja's wishes.