• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Octopus's Garden

Lilja likely gone

Rate this topic

This doesn't sound overly promising.

"Detroit hasn't made any effort to sign him or talk to us," Diamond said. "If they want to go in another direction, it's their prerogative. There are plenty of other teams."
"I made them an offer a month ago and haven't heard back from them. I'm assuming they didn't like it," Holland said. "I'll touch base with them (on Wednesday). Maybe Lils will get a better deal (on the market). You can always get together after July 1."

MLive Link

Edited by Octopus's Garden

Too bad and very wrong. Lils fought hard to come back and the Wings season took a good turn last season when he was back in the lineup.

Kenny said the Wings made an offer, Lilja's agent said they didn't, aka they made a offer that Lilja's agent though was ridiculous and/or a joke; probably in the $750k-$1m range.

I can see Lilja going to another team that is looking for a first or second pairing defensive defenseman, especially one that needs blocking shots and on the PK. Lilja to Phoenix, Edmonton, NY Isles, or Anaheim perhaps?

Ridiculous. We keep worthless players like Meech and Abs but we wont re-sign a guy who did everything he could to play again in a Wings uniform. Disgusting.

I mean...

They need a solid third pair defenseman. Why not just try to keep Lilja? He's done a solid job.

On top of that, they want to re-sign Maltby?? Forget about the fact that he would be the 15th forward should they re-sign all their RFAs, which is likely, but I mean... Even if they traded away two of their younger forwards, how does Maltby make the team better in their place?

This loyalty thing has paid off at times in the past. Hopefully it won't bite Kenny in the end.

And now we get word that it's likely we'll re-sign Maltby. So, just to make things clear, we're letting walk a clutch, solid d-man but re-signing guys who will not help the team out one BIT next year in Maltby, Abs, and Meech.

Holland has finally lost it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I think many of you are overlooking the fact that Lilja was never the same after returning from his concussion. He seemed very tentative to do the grinding in the corners that he had previously done. This could be nothing but posturing from Lilja and his agent, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Lilja didn't return.

I think many of you are overlooking the fact that Lilja was never the same after returning from his concussion. He seemed very tentative to do the grinding in the corners that he had previously done. This could be nothing but posturing from Lilja and his agent, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Lilja didn't return.

Who's to say, though, that he was trying to find his limitations while still trying to recover totally? I don't hold it against him at all - I'd probably do the same while I was figuring out just how much I could take. This summer will give him time to recover totally and he'll be back at full strength most likely. I think we should keep him. Sorry, but that's my feeling on this.

Ridiculous. We keep worthless players like Meech and Abs but we wont re-sign a guy who did everything he could to play again in a Wings uniform. Disgusting.

Abdelkader useless? Seriously? I mean really????

And now we get word that it's likely we'll re-sign Maltby. So, just to make things clear, we're letting walk a clutch, solid d-man but re-signing guys who will not help the team out one BIT next year in Maltby, Abs, and Meech.

Holland has finally lost it.

No, he hasn't lost anything.

EDIT: You are just showing a flair for the overdramatic right now. Can definitely show displeasure for possibly not re-signing Lilja but he hasn't lost squat and has always been one of the best GMs in the league - evidenced many times by sources across the NHL, not just Red Wing homer fans.

Come on people!!!

You guys seriously think that Lija not re-signing has anything to do with Maltby?

It would be more fair to assume that Holland has plans to UPGRADE the numer 5/6 spot on defense.

^ THIS. Look, I want to re-sign Lilja like pretty much everybody else in here. But the possible re-signing of Maltby (and whose to say it isn't just graffiti on the wall to be nice to him because he's played with the Wings for so long - I really don't think he'll be re-signed) and the possible departure of Lilja are completely independent on each other, they aren't correlated/related in any way, shape, or form.

EDIT: And it is possible that Lilja wanted to look for another opportunity elsewhere outside of Detroit initially from minute one. That'd be Lilja's deal, not Holland's. There are conflicting stories here between his agent and Holland or faulty reporting of the happenings, so it is pre-mature to yell out "MANGAMENT STINKS THE BIG ONE HERE XO#@$#@T^#%YRE111353454!!!!!!"

2nd EDIT: Just saw from another source that there is a good chance that Maltby will be re-signed, so I stand corrected on that specific piece above.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Am I thinking of a different player here??? Isn't Lilja the same player that has sat on the injured list much of his carrier? Isn't it kind of risky to pay big bucks for a guy that is prone to long term injuries?? He's good don't get me wrong, but in today's cap era I think you can get a more durable player for the same cost as what he will want to sign for that will give you the same performance.

Edited by hellsson

You can deduce from the news article on detnews that Kenny basically chose Maltby over Lilja.

Sigh... I don't know...

And if that's true...@#$% Holland.

I've defended most of Holland's choices these past few seasons because there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not. But this is just asinine.

Watch for our PK to be one of the, if not the worst in the league this next season. McCrimmon - Lilja = a recipe for disaster. We've already seen this.

Edicius' world would come crashing down. That'd mean lots of vodka though. ;)

Agreed. I'm pissed at Holland.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference. Not to mention that he was statistically the best shot blocker on the team in the regular season and postseason by a mile.

And if that's true...@#$% Holland.

I've defended most of Holland's choices these past few seasons because there's a reason he's a GM and I'm not. But this is just asinine.

Watch for our PK to be one of the, if not the worst in the league this next season. McCrimmon - Lilja = a recipe for disaster. We've already seen this.

Agreed. I'm pissed at Holland.

Lils is no Norris candidate, but he's been an integral part of our defense. Hell, look at the Wings' record this past season AFTER he returned. It was a HUGE difference. Not to mention that he was statistically the best shot blocker on the team in the regular season and postseason by a mile.

Lilja could have been looking at opportunities elsewhere from the start. It's too early to blame management right now.

EDIT: And for the record, I will jump through my computer and strangle anybody who labels me a management or Holland slappy.

I'll be disappointed if Lilja goes.

It irritates the s**t out of me though to basically claim Holland the anti-Christ pre-maturely (or anybody for that matter given the proper sitaution) because of player bias or without knowing the entire context of the situation

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Am I thinking of a different player here??? Isn't Lilja the same player that has sat on the injured list much of his carrier? Isn't it kind of risky to pay big bucks for a guy that is prone to long term injuries?? He's good don't get me wrong, but in today's cap era I think you can get a more durable player for the same cost as what he will want to sign for that will give you the same performance.

You must be mistaken. Before the concussion, Lilja missed a total of five games with the Wings due to injury/illness: 2 due to a back injury, 1 due to the flu and 2 due to an appendectomy. Any other games not played before the concussion were as a healthy scratch.

You guys actually take the agent's word over Hollands?

Holland already stated that he offered Lilja a deal, but Lilja wanted more and a bigger role on a team.

Lil's agent is just playing the game, just like Eva said.

Eh, fair point, I'll accept that.

But honestly, Lilja deserves a bigger role on the team given his play. I was still baffled when Babcock scratched him in favor of Lebda at one point in the playoffs.